Electronic Ignition

Hi Bill

It Looks interesting, will wait to see if anyone replies, your 6 appears to be 130 away from Mine :D

Hi Bill

It Looks interesting, will wait to see if anyone replies, your 6 appears to be 130 away from Mine :D

Clarkey I thought you had just fitted Lumenition??

I am still deciding between two types of e/ignition: a 123 or Lumenition...does the above mean you are unhappy with yours??

Just noticed this on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-TR6-electronic-Ignition_W0QQitemZ390150568437QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad6c939f5. At that price I'm tempted to get one as a spare in case my Aldon Ignitor expires at an inconvenient moment. Has anybody fitted one of these?

yes i have one fitted works fine.

got mine from simonbbc on ebay item no 110476950165.

and slightly cheaper £24.99.inc post

if you get one file/sandpaper the bottom of the rotor arm if reqd.

richard

Do they do them for the 4 cylinders as well.

Apprx 1/3 of the cost of the lumentition module that I have at present.

Roger

Yes they do.

Stuart.

Clarkey I thought you had just fitted Lumenition??

I am still deciding between two types of e/ignition: a 123 or Lumenition...does the above mean you are unhappy with yours??

On the Contrary. I am very happy with the Lumenition I have fitted, I am not sure I have the timing spot on yet. I just thought I may get one as a spare just incase It ever let me down :D

Edited by Clarkey

yes i have one fitted works fine.

got mine from simonbbc on ebay item no 110476950165.

and slightly cheaper £24.99.inc post

if you get one file/sandpaper the bottom of the rotor arm if reqd.

richard

Looking at your Dizzy.

Your looks way more advanced than mine, perhaps mine is not advanced as much as it should be, mine is piking quite a bit at the mo

Looking at your Dizzy.

Your looks way more advanced than mine, perhaps mine is not advanced as much as it should be, mine is piking quite a bit at the mo

If yours is pinking then its too far advanced. May be that the dizzy needs moving round and the plug leads moving one position round to suit and then reset the timing..

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

If yours is pinking then its too far advanced. May be that the dizzy needs moving round and the plug leads moving one position round to suit and then reset the timing..

Stuart.

Stuart

Mine is hardly advanced at all, I think I may be getting confuesd its more of a whistling sound than a pinking sound.

Stuart

Mine is hardly advanced at all, I think I may be getting confuesd its more of a whistling sound than a pinking sound.

I don't think you can tell how advanced the dizzy is from the photo compared to yours as the verniers may be adjusted completely differently.

Andy

Stuart

:unsure:

It may be the fan resonating because of where you have your oil cooler fitted

:unsure:

It may be the fan resonating because of where you have your oil cooler fitted

Interesting point, I will be moving the oil cooler to in-front of the radiator soon

Just noticed this on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-TR6-electronic-Ignition_W0QQitemZ390150568437QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad6c939f5. At that price I'm tempted to get one as a spare in case my Aldon Ignitor expires at an inconvenient moment. Has anybody fitted one of these?

If you go ahead and fit one of these, carry your points, condenser etc in the boot for when it fails. My Lumenition did after 18 months. I took the advice of Motoscope, who set up my engine on their rolling road, and went back to points. They reckon these kits are money wasted and advise that electronic ignition is only worth fitting if you are going to spend upwards of £250. Even then, the comment was "if I was going to drive across a desert, I'd stick with points".

Jim

I've done 30,000 miles on a Pertronix Ignitor. That's 30,000 miles with no variation in timing caused by worn points, far less timing scatter and no maintenance. They are cheap enough to carry a spare. That is on a 4A, I also did 40,000 miles on a Pirhana (Newtronic) in a GT6.

If I had a TR6 I would want to make sure that I knew exactly what my ballast resistor situation was and that I was using the correct coil, before fitting any electronic ignition modules.

Andy

I've had a Lumention in-dizzy module running OK for the last 70,000 miles. No adjustments required.

I appreciate they could fail instantly - but always carry a spare.

They may not be racing quality but for everyday use are very functional.

The one in the thread is apprx 1/3 of the lumention item - good value.

Roger

I've had a Lumention in-dizzy module running OK for the last 70,000 miles. No adjustments required.

I appreciate they could fail instantly - but always carry a spare.

They may not be racing quality but for everyday use are very functional.

The one in the thread is apprx 1/3 of the lumention item - good value.

Roger

Hi Roger

A set of point's and condensor 6 inch of wire is even better value ,you should have bought optronic B)

Edited by ntc

Hi Roger

A set of point's and condensor 6 inch of wire is even better value ,you should have bought optronic B)

I had an early Lumenition Optronic, the one with the aluminium finned electronics box, fail on me due to overheating of the electronics. 6 years on Pertronix and no problems. I always keep a points/condenser kit as back up though.

Hi Neil,

I am a great believer in old technology (have you seen the missus) but this little gadget has proved quite good.

I appreciate that the points are significantly cheaper but as I do not spend any time adjusting/fixing it has paid for it self.

roger

PS I have a spare c/b and capacitor on a plate in my spares box (just in case)

Hi Neil,

I am a great believer in old technology (have you seen the missus) but this little gadget has proved quite good.

I appreciate that the points are significantly cheaper but as I do not spend any time adjusting/fixing it has paid for it self.

roger

Hell's Bells Roger - you're living dangerously!

Seriously though, my Aldon Ignitor went haywire in the warranty period (?24 months) something like 15K miles. Am currently awaiting result of warranty claim from Revingtons. Am not sure I will replace it - OK points are a pain, but they don't die on you!

Geoff

Hi Neil,

roger

I'm expensive too and I don't pay for myself. :lol:

Think i'm gonna be much more expensive now. :unsure::angry:

Sue ;)