Eaton M62 supercharger

Then here's the rub.

Personally I'm not a big fan of wet systems, but with a carburettor it's going to be near impossible to do anything other than a wet system (you will find it very difficult to find anyone to recondition - or build - a carb to take pressurised air as input). There's no point intercooling one of these systems either. Should be obvious why...

If you had better fabrication skills or a desire to spend a large amount of $, I'd say get something like Rick Patton's setup fabricated. Here's an overview - http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/schrgr2.htm

That will certainly give you a power bump, and it likely won't get you drawn and quartered by the polishers in the same way an engine swap would (well not all of them - there are those who think that the ne plus ultra of automotive induction starts and ends with the word "Weber", but they are a lost cause).

Since you have the whole modification and insurance problem, I'd be inclined to suggest a different (and more prosaic) approach. A cam, head skim (to up the compression ratio to 9.5 or 10:1, some port work, headers a carb rebuild and a little time with a tailpipe sniffer on a dyno will come in under the $2300 for a US derived kit if you do some of the work yourself. It'll look bone stock and should hit the 120rwhp mark without too much angst.

ymmv. I'm sure others will have different opinions, but that's what makes it all so fun, right?

That will certainly give you a power bump, and it likely won't get you drawn and quartered by the polishers in the same way an engine swap would (well not all of them - there are those who think that the ne plus ultra of automotive induction starts and ends with the word "Weber", but they are a lost cause).

I'd go with the Webers then :rolleyes:

shotfromrear-1.jpg

• 9 months later...

Alan,

I don't know if you remember me - you helped me out contacting a chap called Bennett French, as I wanted to buy a supercharge for my ex-California TR6.

I agreed with him to buy not just the blower, but a fitting kit, and sent him the money at the end of March, 2010. Following several e-mails, and a couple of conference calls, he now refuses to answer my e-mails, and the telephone number he gave me is no longer in service. I have raised this issue to the Henderson County (North Carolina) Sheriffs department. Do you happen to have any kind of communication with anyone who might be able to help me? I am not a wealthy man, and cannot afford to buy a performance mod twice.

Any kind of help would be appreciated,

Happy Christmas,

Austin Branson

http://www.myspace.com/148553656

Check out this profile. I dont know if it is the guy you are looking for but sounds likely. There is a phone number at the bottom of the profile. You may have this info already I guess but good luck in tracking him down.

Simon

Simon,

You are a hero! No, I didn't have the data. Unfortunately, there is no postal address, but I have forwarded the site to Detective Whitmire, of the Henderson Sheriff's department.

Thanks again, and have a great Christmas and New Year.

Austin

Austin,

Go for it! The effect of supercharging is to give the engine huge, diesel-like low-down torque, as if it had grown and extra litre in capacity and more cylinders.

So you have an inlet manifold that bolts onto the cylinder head and would support an M62 blower? That manifold is by far the trickiest bit to fabricate, so you have much of the difficult work done.

With a local engineering machinist you should be able to rig it up to another blower of different size. Eaton make several sizes but they all work over a large rev range, so a smaller blower eg M45 ( try ebay) could be made to work providing you dont want extreme boost. Or an M90 might fit. With your woodworking skills you could make a staggered spacer plate to do the job, then give it as a pattern for the machine shop to fabricate in aluminium alloy.

Might I suggest you first invest in a copy of Alan Allard's book "Supercharging and turbocharging" -Amazon have a copy at £25 (it is long out of print). It covers all that you will need in terms of determining how fast to spin the blower and so forth ( you'll need to have new pulley(s) made ).

Forget about changing the cam: totally unnecessary. That 2 inch carb will do fine, with some tuning.

The only downsides of supercharging are that you will need to use a high octane fuel. I use 97RON whcih is OK up to about 8psi boost( 8.5:1 USA spec cylider head). And fuel consumption goes up: I get around 22-24mpg.

I am happy to help with those calculations etc.

Peter,

Many thanks for that. I would like to follow this up. A good friend (actually the chap who sold me the TR) has the Sal Vespertini kit that I bought. He lives in England, so I don't see that much of him, but I know he will help if he can. I guess the first thing is to find a blower that is suitable. You mention a couple other than the M62 - how do I make an informed decision? It will almost certainly be a second hand item. I do have a friend that runs a car scrapping business who might help me out.

I will try and get hold of that book that you mention.

I will certainly take you up on your offer of help.

Where in North Wales do you live? We used to own a boat in Conwy.

Take care,

Austin

Hi Austin,

We're inland in N.Wales - mid-way between Snowdonia and Cheshire- lovely empty roads and hills....And conveniently close to Oulton park and Loton Park for the VSCC races (paradise for supercharged motors).

There are many more blown TRs in USA than in UK-Europe, and I have seen postings on the Triumph BBS here:

http://www.british-cars.co.uk

The advantage of that site is they are left hand steer cars.

There are a lot of images on web that are useful guidance (but not always sound!)

(My TR6 is RHD which makes copying their installations impossible.

On other hand if your TR6 is RHD then there is a long space in front of the distributor that can be used by a blower.

I wrote up my Wade blower conversion for TRAction, and its on the Technicalities CD.)

Used Eaton blowers are the most common in UK, and the Eaton web site gives their specs. Eaton makes bkowerd for recent Jags Ford Mini Mercs... Your friend in the car recycling business could be useful! Toyota-nade blowers are often used in USA - but no cars with them in UK

Is this what your kit's manifold looks like ( find post from 'john in kansas'):

http://www.british-cars.org/triumph-tr6-bbs/higher-performance-mods-200901291444442842.htm

I have emailed you, as a long to and fro discussion here about the intricacies of designing a blown motor might clog up this forum.