Life of grease seal rubbers

Fiddling about on the front suspension of my car I was surprised to see the condition of all the grease seals on the bottom/trunnion end.

All are badly perished some have broken and it's been 'only' four yrs since they were fitted new.

To me this seems a very short life, what does everyone else think?

Mychael

This would be the bands which cover the edge of the bushes in the end of the suspension arms.

I think they get a lot of water, oil and contamination. I have heard of people using those plastic ties and cutting to length. This would have a very long life.

I used them to tie on the bump stops on the back axle.

Good luck, Richard :)

This would be the bands which cover the edge of the bushes in the end of the suspension arms.

I think they get a lot of water, oil and contamination. I have heard of people using those plastic ties and cutting to length. This would have a very long life.

I used them to tie on the bump stops on the back axle.

Good luck, Richard :)

Yes, those bands. Surely they originally lasted longer then four years. I was thinking that if I could find some silicon hose in the correct diameter I could make them from that.

Mychael

Rubber from the far orient used for these bands will normally last only about 4 years. It might be the composion used in the rubber, or it may be that certain types of grease attach the rubber sooner. For the last 4-5 years or so, I have left them off. Before that I would cover the exposed edges with tie-wraps (cable-ties) and these can be wrapped around without taking the suspension all apart. Then you trim the excess length off. The ones I used were black and 1/4" wide. I never got any points deducted by a concours judge because they were different. You cand see the clipped end if you do it correctly.

I have been using a red Amsoil synthetic grease in all my grease fittings for 2 years to see if the "synthetic" grease will allow the rubber boots to last longer than 4 years.

Mychael, when you fit the suspension to the new chassis, another dust cover option is a push bike tube, as the rubber quality is pretty good.

Just slice off whatever rings you want with a pair of scissors.

My bike tube trunnion end dust covers (where the grease is) are still intact after 12 years.

Regards,

Viv

Mychael, when you fit the suspension to the new chassis, another dust cover option is a push bike tube, as the rubber quality is pretty good.

My bike tube trunnion end dust covers (where the grease is) are still intact after 12 years.

Regards,

Viv

That's a good piece of lateral thinking Viv. Thanks for that suggestion.

Mike

Regards,

Viv

Brilliant, the quality of a clincher tube really is excellent, why didnt I think of that, and I'm an old racin cyclist y'know.

The best replacement I have found is a suitably sized black Zip Tie.

Not only does the nylon last for ever, you don't need to strip the

suspension to replace them.

Frank

Certainly be better then perished rubber but being more rigid perhaps might not seal as well??

Mychael