Has anyone Supercharged their 4?

I know mine currently handles a bit scarey, but I think it could be a bit of fun, and an interesting task, now that the body is finished.

Can you advise any suppliers that offer a kit? I know Moss do one for the MGB, but I haven't asked about the 4.

Rob. :o

Guest P Cobbold

Rob,

Yes you would find the car is transformed when supercharged.

The Moss MGB kit wont fit the TR4 but the principles are the same for all motors. I shall be giving a talk at the International ( given a darkened room etc) on DIY supercharging. For us TR owners its likely to be a DIY job, but the Eaton blower used by Moss for the MGB would be ideal. Take a look at the BBS for blown MGBs to see the enthusiasm it is generating:

http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin....ect=115

Peter

Peter,

There have been a few superchargers on Ebay recently. These are usually brand new, removed from BMW mini cooper S when being uprated to a higher spec.

Have a look at this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....y=43120

Do you know if these would be of any use on the TR 4 pot engine??

Regards

Graeme

Guest P Cobbold

Graeme,

If the ebay blower is an eaton M45 derivative then its max air delivery is around 330cfm when driven flat out at 14000rpm.

( see Eatons data sheet at:http://automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/superchargers.html

That air delivery would give approx 6psi boost to a TR4 at 5000rpm. That will be comparable with the MGB kit. But I think it should be possible with a larger blower to go for 9 psi or even 12, with care. But that would need the M62 from Eaton.

On the other hand beware of the physical length of the blower ( again see Eatons data) as there is not too much room ahead of the distributor on the TR4 engine. So the M45 might be better fit.

Its not a decision ro rush, except that ebay bid price is at present very attractive.

Peter

Guest P Cobbold

Glen Hewitt fitted a marshall bower to a TR6- I have an article from Car and Car Conversions (IIRC) mag somewhere. I did not know about hisTR4. He also made some lovely siamesed SU pairs that would look- and work- great on a blower.

The key to supercharging any motor is a low compression ratio, then almost any bower can be fitted. So can anyone tell me whether low-CR versions were made for the TR 2,3 and 4. With Tr6s there are overseas spec fatter heads, and for TR7s low CR pistons. But what about the earlier engines? If they were all 9.5 and mostly all been skimmed by now, then achieving a low CR reliably will be the major challenge. Can the new ali heads go down to 8.5?

(The old grey Fergi tractors had around 5 I think- but that's a little on the low side!)

Peter

• 1 month later...

If i was to fit an Eaton M45 (Mini Cooper), what sort of compression drop would be required,would this be best done in piston (if possible) or by machining head/thick head gasket? Also, any ideas for carburation?

Rob.

In Roger Williams book on restoring TR4-4a There is a passage that states that the TR250 had a lowered compression ratio compared to the TR5. I guess difference may be in the head design. Not much help to Rob, but maybe a reason to buy a 250 ??

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Awaiting for BMW employed pals to source M45 blower for me-watch this space (or watch space for bits of engine shrapnel!!!).

Any more advice would be welcomed-ie links to pics of brackets, carb layout-whatever.

Ta.

• 9 months later...

I recently asked Moss Europe if they produced or had plans to produce a supercharger kit for the TR4, similar to the MG kits they have developed. They said "not at the moment" but that I should ask again in about 6 months. Does this indicate they're thinking about it.

I feel that the more people enquire the greater chance we have of getting it considered.

In Roger Williams book on restoring TR4-4a There is a passage that states that the TR250 had a lowered compression ratio compared to the TR5. I guess difference may be in the head design. Not much help to Rob, but maybe a reason to buy a 250 ??

Alan

The 250 had the US spec low compression head as did the US 6's.

I think some of the 250s had different port spacings which can complicate the use of after market manifolds.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually a sidescreen man (3A) but noticed this topic in the forum and thought I'd contribute as well.

You see I've just aquired a complete Judson supercharger taken off a TR3. It last was running 12yrs ago but is complete and can still be spun by hand.

Cannot say yet if I got something good or a dud but it will certainly be rare here in Australia.

So anyone with any usefull information to pass on, please contact me.

Thanks,

Mychael

I'm actually a sidescreen man (3A) but noticed this topic in the forum and thought I'd contribute as well.

You see I've just aquired a complete Judson supercharger taken off a TR3. It last was running 12yrs ago but is complete and can still be spun by hand.

Cannot say yet if I got something good or a dud but it will certainly be rare here in Australia.

So anyone with any usefull information to pass on, please contact me.

Thanks,

Mychael

I have followed the supercharger discussion with interest as I have always fancied the idea. Mychael's reference to the Judson supercharger brought back memories of a side valve Ford Squire estate which had one bolted on owned by a very ecentric guy at Plesseys where I did my apprentiship. If you put 'Judson Supercharger' into google there is a wealth of information on them. I must amit I had forgotten they existed.

Nigel

Totally off -topic but many yrs ago (late 70's-early80's) we had Plesseys here in Australia. They did 2 way radio repair.

A mate of mine worked there, never knew it was an English company.

Mychael

• 10 months later...

I requested an update from Moss Europe last week about the progress on a supercharger kit for the TR4 cyl engines. They said that it was on the agenda but they were concentrating on the MGB at the moment. So here's hoping. Don't forget to inquire yourselves they need encouragement.