THOSE EBAY CONRODS AGAIN ,I'VE BOUGHT SOME!!!!

Well I,ve done it and bought a set!!!

Why, well when i stripped the engine two weeks ago i found that two little end bearings had been spinning so the rods were scrap as far as i was concerned as i intend to build an engine that i could use for sprints, hill climbs etc with out resorting to steel cranks etc.

I had already decided i would have the original rods crack detected,lightened and balanced plus decent rod bolts which would not be cheap even if I did

a lot of the work myself. Midland Balancing i understand from my buddy Barry Hodson motorsport are very good and reasonable prices

other than find two supposedly good 40 year old rods second hand what were the alternatives? carrilo rods were out of the question price wise, Farndon wanted £150 each even trade to barry

So they have arrived and my thoughts

they were on ebay at £320, i offered £300 which was accepted,post £40 as quoted no customs costs

yes they came from China and very promptly with good tracking info

they look just as the pictures

finish is excellant, no sharp edges, internal thread ends smoothed out,little ends bushed,big ends have been honed

wgt:

they all weigh in within a gram

end to end they appear within 1/2 gram

overall wgt a std rod weighs 33oz on our scales, these weigh 23 oz

lengths check out comparing each of the four

the rod bolts are stamped ARP 2000-08, as the company i work for makes aerospace nuts and bolts i will have these checked out tomorrow

there is no paperwork with the rods ref these bolts so i went on ARP's site to get the correct installation info

any one want to come and inspect in leicester be my guest

regards adrian

Hi Adrian,

I commend your bravery, I do sincerely hope they work out OK for you.

When I enquired about these rods via eBay, the seller wanted me to measure the centres, diameters & dimmensions so they could be sure they made and sent the correct ones, this is how I looked when I received the email..... :unsure: . Decided to look elsewhere for decent conrods.

Please keep us informed during the install and how the engine performs.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi Adrian,

I commend your bravery, I do sincerely hope they work out OK for you.

When I enquired about these rods via eBay, the seller wanted me to measure the centres, diameters & dimmensions so they could be sure they made and sent the correct ones, this is how I looked when I received the email..... :unsure: . Decided to look elsewhere for decent conrods.

Please keep us informed during the install and how the engine performs.

Regards,

Richard.

thanks for your reply will keep you posted

regards Adrian

Well done Adrian,

excellent initiative. I for one will be more than interested in your follow-up comments, thinking of going the same route in due course. Your initial comments sound pretty favourable.

As I've observed previously, I don't share the pessimism of so many folk when it comes to Chinese engineering, but then I've had the opportunity to work with decent Chinese engineering manufacturers - and seen for myself what they can do for the right price. Good people to do business with.

Cheers,

Alec

the rod bolts are stamped ARP 2000-08, as the company i work for makes aerospace nuts and bolts i will have these checked out tomorrow.

There is no paperwork with the rods ref these bolts so i went on ARP's site to get the correct installation info.

I bought some ARP conrod bolts recently (thanks MikeW) they came with a sachet of ARP assembly lube.

Ivor

I like Chinese.

They only come up to your knees,

Yet they're always friendly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese.

I like their tiny little feet,

Their Zen, their ping-pong, their yin, and yang-ese.