Rostyle replacement trims

Hi all

sick of looking at dented Rostyle wheels trims i was thinking of manufacturing some replacement ones

its a matter of quality and materials

i have the tooling and manufacturing costs but it all depends on how many people would be interested

i thought i could do a poll thing on here but not sure

anyway before spending thousands on tooling it would be nice to know if anyone is interested they would be made from Stainless though as this is a bit of a problem with the tooling cost

see haow it goes

cheers

david

Hi all

sick of looking at dented Rostyle wheels trims i was thinking of manufacturing some replacement ones

i have the tooling and manufacturing costs but it all depends on how many people would be interested

anyway before spending thousands on tooling it would be nice to know if anyone is interested they would be made from Stainless though as this is a bit of a problem with the tooling cost

see haow it goes

cheers

david

David,

its a good idea, but I suspect the market may be a little too small.

Not all 5s run Rostyles, do you have a suggested unit price against quantity to manufacture.

regards

mike

Great Idea. You may want to advertise on ebay, and get in touch with the 6-pack forum too. I'm sure this would justify your costs.

I am assuming the covers would be as per original?

Another good thing would be to make the clips for the later 1970 onwards wheels. Those wheels are much stronger, and most people run these as opposed to the original TR5/250 type with the pins, which are quite rare. Look at the stainless trim rings available from Moss and the like for a way to fit the rostyles to the later wheels.

Oh, and by the way - I'd be interested in a set :)

Thanks lads

the pattern and look will be original but the material and fixing will be more modern day, i am pricing at around £100 + VAT a set of four (i would need to sell around 150 sets)

they would fit striaght onto a TR6 wheel no need for the studs

the quantity for sale is fairly small but i still have a risk of about £5000 - 7000 if no one wants them, if the cost is covered then i have my set, after that then its the manufacturing cost at risk so not so much for the second batch

if i can get them right they will look the real thing, these i think would look great you could always use the real ones for the shows when you get there

its an interesting concept

i have lost 3 trims over the years just by flying off

i will see what the response is,

i will be posting in the TR action also

cheers

david

Thanks lads

the pattern and look will be original but the material and fixing will be more modern day, i am pricing at around £100 + VAT a set of four (i would need to sell around 150 sets)

they would fit striaght onto a TR6 wheel no need for the studs

the quantity for sale is fairly small but i still have a risk of about £5000 - 7000 if no one wants them, if the cost is covered then i have my set, after that then its the manufacturing cost at risk so not so much for the second batch

if i can get them right they will look the real thing, these i think would look great you could always use the real ones for the shows when you get there

its an interesting concept

i have lost 3 trims over the years just by flying off

i will see what the response is,

i will be posting in the TR action also

cheers

david

Definitely interested at that sort of price. I'd probably take 2 sets. The real issue is finding a set of steel wheels to fit them. I gather early 6 wheels are OK? Of course you will be a target of vilification for those who have been hoarding their battered 15" Rostyle trims in the hope of a financial killing! :)

ALL

as the design is modern you wont need the special studded wheels just normal rims

however your original cost the earth Rostyles will still fit the studded rims when you get to the show if thats what you wanted to do

that might help people fit the Rostyle type trim because they like them but cant get the rims ??

cheers

david

The real issue is finding a set of steel wheels to fit them.

Given the problems that our major supplier has getting an acceptable,

never mind exact fit for remanufactured parts, despite their years of

experience, and remembering also how critical it is to get the fit of these

trims just right so they locate on the hweel properly, my suspicion is that

it willnot be finding a good set of wheels that will be the major problem.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this turn out to be a successful venture,

even though they are of no interest to me, but don't think getting a reasonable

quotation is the end of the story.

AlanR

HI Alan

as the trim is to pick up on the rim and using the modern fixing the lugs will spring into the recess of the rim similar to the way the stainless steel embelishers fit on the six so any take up on the tolerance will be catered for

useless triumph made their rims that far out

but then i guess the embelishers wont fit neither and they all seem to be ok

i will be checking the trims against TR5 and 6 wheels as i have both

its getting the numbers up so i am not out by thousands of pounds out

you have got to think of these things, and try, if it doesnt come off then i will be disappointed but no worse off than the last 20 odd years with dented SS trims

cheers

david

Hi all

see haow it goes

cheers

david

Well, if you can pull it off, I'd be in for a couple of sets too :)

Hi TR Fella

thanks for spreading the word

i had a meeting today which has taken it a step further

i am approaching holiday time etc so if i can get it going during the winter

that would be great

thanks to everyone for the support

i will keep you posted

cheers

david

Just don't tell the wife! :lol:

ETA - you are already on 6-pack ;)

http://www.6-pack.org/sixpack/phpbb2/viewt...e007d4e3d73d227

Hi David,

As much as I'd like to take credit, it wasn't me that made 6-pack aware of you; I think it was one of their mods that logs on here from time to time.

Anyway, I saw his post on there linking to this thread - how cool is that?

I think most of your numbers will be made up from customers over the pond, so a right result.

I would register on there and let them know the score.

Good luck with everything - we await with baited breath :)

Hi All

got a meeting scheduled for the design so good to see more people interested (RED 5)

and excellent will Register with the six pack group

Pilkie

you run a Rover the 5 stud Rostyles can be used by modifying the hubs for a 5 stud

i know someone who did this and they look gorgeous, however the hubs are quite costly to change i think from memory around £900 then theres the refurb of the wheels etc etc

cheers

david

Hi All

got a meeting scheduled for the design so good to see more people interested (RED 5)

and excellent will Register with the six pack group

Pilkie

you run a Rover the 5 stud Rostyles can be used by modifying the hubs for a 5 stud

i know someone who did this and they look gorgeous, however the hubs are quite costly to change i think from memory around £900 then theres the refurb of the wheels etc etc

cheers

david

Hi David

Yes that would be me then !!! Not a cheap exercise at all but the finished result was drop dead gorgeous. I will be most interested to see the end result of these new wheeltrims....sounds promising. Good luck.

Alan

Hi David

Yes that would be me then !!! Not a cheap exercise at all but the finished result was drop dead gorgeous. I will be most interested to see the end result of these new wheeltrims....sounds promising. Good luck.

Alan

Hi Alan

yes it was your wheels still fall asleep dreaming of those

i just thought it would be a good exercise to try and get some trims (although as you know i have an original set in the garage)

probably going to make from ABS they are intended for everyday / convoy use then possibly switch over to the originals if you want to show the car

the quality is the main driver though

see you at Malvern

cheers

david

probably going to make from ABS they are intended for everyday / convoy use then possibly switch over to the originals if you want to show the car

the quality is the main driver though

see you at Malvern

cheers

david

So you are not making them out of stainless?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

So you are not making them out of stainless?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Hi

didnt see this till now

Stainless mouldings would be one quote 50000 ish so i have gone for an alternative modern ABS, the reasoning is to get the look and finish and the fixing

the trims could be used everyday and keep your stainless ones for best

cheers

david

Hi

didnt see this till now

Stainless mouldings would be one quote 50000 ish so i have gone for an alternative modern ABS, the reasoning is to get the look and finish and the fixing

the trims could be used everyday and keep your stainless ones for best

cheers

david

Sorry for appearing to be a bit thick but what is modern ABS.

Cheers

Dave.

Sorry for appearing to be a bit thick but what is modern ABS.

Cheers

Dave.

Dave its a newer type of plastic that will take a chrome type of finish and its very strong as well.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart