tool kit advice

:) Dear all.

As most of you are hardened Triumph owners, I was wondering if you could pass on some advice with regard to what tools you carry in the cars.

ie just a select few or will I have to weld my snap on box to the boot :-)

I've got two Triumphs - the TR6 and 2000. The TR does around 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year and the 2000 around 3,000. Both cars go all over Europe. I've been left stuck at the side of the road three times in about 7 years of ownership. Once was a duff condensor (I had the tools, but not the part); once was a float valve in a Stromberg carb (2000) - did a strip and rebuild at the side of the road, but the float valve was damaged and leaked even when cleaned, so still needed parts and the third time, also the 2000, a defective coil that finally expired.

Tools: A couple of AF spanners, plug socket, selection of screwdrivers, feeler guages, small electrical pliers, length of 30amp cable, ty-wraps and a roll of gaffer tape. Plus the most important thisng - the little card you get from Towergate with the insurance that provides the breakdown cover. The tools all fit in a canvas wrap that goes in the spare wheel void.

Kevin

I've got two Triumphs - the TR6 and 2000. The TR does around 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year and the 2000 around 3,000. Both cars go all over Europe. I've been left stuck at the side of the road three times in about 7 years of ownership. Once was a duff condensor (I had the tools, but not the part); once was a float valve in a Stromberg carb (2000) - did a strip and rebuild at the side of the road, but the float valve was damaged and leaked even when cleaned, so still needed parts and the third time, also the 2000, a defective coil that finally expired.

Tools: A couple of AF spanners, plug socket, selection of screwdrivers, feeler guages, small electrical pliers, length of 30amp cable, ty-wraps and a roll of gaffer tape. Plus the most important thisng - the little card you get from Towergate with the insurance that provides the breakdown cover. The tools all fit in a canvas wrap that goes in the spare wheel void.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the reply, I was just curious as it has been a long time since i had a car that was not covered by a warranty.

I am hoping that I am able to find a good, reliable car, as I do intend to use it for trips abroad and around the uk.

Regards

Clarkey

...and a mobile phone!

Regards

Peter

Nice one Peter

[ :blink:quote name=Tonymill' date='Jul 13 2009, 06:06 PM' post='137306]

Alcoholics Anonymous??..... :lol:

Tony

Do you think my drink problem will help with owning a TR. LMFAO "HIC HIC" :blink:

Edited by Clarkey
Hi Kevin

I am hoping that I am able to find a good, reliable car, as I ...............

whatever the reason, but if you're truly looking for a good & reliable ( :blink: ) car, what are you doing on this forum than?? ;)

Anyways, no toolkit here, not even a spare wheel. Just a fully charged mobile, the local equivalent of the UK AA-card, and lots of trust. Just had to be towed once in the last 2, 5 years (during which I drove 12k miles on this car) which turned out to be a loose electrical feed to the fuel pump.

Hi Clarkey,

many TR's are very reliable - but not by chance. When driving if you notice a problem then at the soonest convenient time try and sort it.

Routine maintenance is a good thing oils, water, electrics, air, plugs etc.

Tools are handy but so are the spares. It's all well and good calling the AA but he may take a while and spend the next 5 minutes getting you going again.

Points, condersor (quaint auto term), coil, bulbs are handy for popping out for an hour or so.

Head gasket, brake pads, brake fluid, oil, rear hubs, clutch etc for the big tour - you may not be able to fit a clutch but your village garage could if he had the spares.

Tools - anything could be stored in the boot but whats best - how long is that string again!!!

selection of spanners very small to 3/4AF, screw drivers small to big flat blade/ phillips, multimeter, socket set etc

It all depends on what you can do and do you want to do it.

Roger

Roll of Gaffa (Duct for our colonial cousins ;) ) tape and some binder twine (baler twine) :lol::lol::lol: Though seriously a TR especially in 4 cylinder form will always get you home. More than can be said for most modern cars were the failure of a 10p bit of electronics will leave you stranded and can only be diagnosed by a computer.

Stuart

Hi All

And dont forget the fuses!!!

As Tony will verify. I broke down (the car not me) at a major junction in Perth on a saturday lunchtime. Didnt have any tools, meter, nothing as I was only popping around to Tonys.

The car just stopped. mobile phone out, called RAC and Tony. Tony arrived before the RAC and we started to check the basics as I felt sure it was electrical. All looked good. Still nothing. When the RAC arrived he began to check everything again and after a while found that the fuse to the petrol pump was faulty. The caps on the end of the glass fuse could be moved slightly to give a bad connection, it looked fine. Fitted new fuse and away we went.

So add fuses to the basic tool kit.

Mark

ps. With no hazard warning lights on the car I was really grateful for a fellow motorist to stay behind the car with his warning lights on. Still some good guys around.

Thanks for the response guys.and the odd hint of sarcasam!!!!

I will be doing all the right TLC things (i hope ), was just curious what most peaple had on board.

:P