Hi All,

I am going to fit a period washer system (manual pump, chrome jet etc) to our 3a. Can anyone tell me if the original optional system had a single point, 2 jet washer or 2 individual single jet washers. If 2 then can anyone let me know the exact fitting position please?

Thanks,

Ian

Hi All,

I am going to fit a period washer system (manual pump, chrome jet etc) to our 3a. Can anyone tell me if the original optional system had a single point, 2 jet washer or 2 individual single jet washers. If 2 then can anyone let me know the exact fitting position please?

Thanks,

Ian

It should be 2 single brass jets but I dont have a 3a here at the moment to measure unfortunately (my early long door isnt fitted with them :( )

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

Is that chromed brass or just plain?

Cheer,

Ian

Thanks Stuart,

Is that chromed brass or just plain?

Cheer,

Ian

I have seen both although I suspect chrome would be more suitable for your later car. They have a small ball bearing non return valve in them(which always used to seize up ;) )

Stuart.

Hi Ian,

I think all TR3A's were fitted with windscreen washer jets in the scuttle, just beside the windscreen wiper bezels. They have tails beneath the dash for the water supply hoses.

However the windscreen washer kit to link up with these jets was an optional accessory..

The early kits were manually operated by a dashboard mounted pusher pump, which was updated to an electric washer kit on late TR3A's. This same kit carried through to 4/4A's. I think this kit was universal to many cars, as a Mk11 Jag's glass bottle looks identical, so it's bound to be available somewhere.

If fitting a washer kit, jab a pin down into the jets, as they become clogged with car polish over the years.

Regards,

Viv.

If 2 then can anyone let me know the exact fitting position please?

Mine are 13" centre-to-centre and 4" back from the rear of the bonnet pressing on the scuttle (or front of vent lid).

They are approx 1/4" from the wiper pivots.

They are hexagonal, chromed and, I believe, original and as far as I can recall the same as on my previous TR3A. Probably Trico or Tudor.

The early kits were manually operated by a dashboard mounted pusher pump,

which was updated to an electric washer kit on late TR3A's.

This same kit carried through to 4/4A's. I think this kit was universal to many

cars, as a Mk11 Jag's glass bottle looks identical, so it's bound to be available

somewhere.

Hi Viv,

Without doing research, the windcsreen washers were an

optional extra but fitted by the dealer, NOT the factory.

The factory had their standard kit for the washer setup, that

was NOT electric, TR3 or TR4, though that would not stop you

getting the dealer to fit a non-factory electric kit.

I stand to be corrected.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100
Hi Viv,

Without doing research, the windcsreen washers were an

optional extra but fitted by the dealer, NOT the factory.

The factory had their standard kit for the washer setup, that

was NOT electric, TR3 or TR4, though that would not stop you

getting the dealer to fit a non-factory electric kit.

I stand to be corrected.

AlanR

Alan I think the electric kit was a factory option over and above the push to squirt type optional extra later on in 3a production and as Viv says was a generic Lucas kit as fitted as standard to Jaguars but without their time delay feature. (on the Jag one flick of the sprung loaded switch gave a ten second squirt)

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Yes Alan, I was saying that only the jets in the scuttle were factory fitted to all 3A's, as that avoided the dealer having to drill holes through a new car's duco which could have led to a disaster. It's logical that the dealer fitted the windscreen washer kit when ordered, and connected it up to the pre-existing jets.

Regards,

Viv.

I bought my generic washer kit a few years back. The jets were already in place, that made things a lot easier. However, the non-return valve on the bottom of the reservoir that came with the kit, was rubbish from the start. All water in the tubes returned to the bottle so I had to push the knob on the dash about 10 times before there was any sign of water coming out of the jets. I turned to a local classic LandRover supplier who handed me a far better non-return valve: this one works (once pumped, the water stays in the tubes) and there's a filter at the end of the valve, keeping the debri out.

Menno

I ordered the windscreen washer kit as an option when I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new. The jets had been factory installed as mentioned above. Look closely and you may find the holes for these jets as per Brian's dimensions above. The dealer put in the bottle and the push plunger on the dashboard near the heater and overdrive switch. Note that this was dealer installed. My system is by Trafalgar.

Since I resored my TR in 1990, I have never added any water or cleaning liquid to the original bottle shown in the photo. I don't drive on muddy roads or on winter slushy streets. I have never missed it. If it starts to rain, who needs to add water via the jets. I just use the wipers.

Interesting. I am pretty sure there are no jets on the car but I need to check now the seed of doubt is sown.

Thanks for all the information guys.