Exhaust system

Hi All

I have a 2in single bore exhaust system on my 6 with one box. The system came originally from Racetorations including a 6,2,1 manifold. Three years ago I replaced the silencer with a phoenix unit I acquired at Malvern and this did quieten things down a bit. However the exhaust if still a bit loud and it generates a course high-pitched sound unlike the much-loved richer deeper growl that we all love.

Having spoken with phoenix they do produce a quieter version of the box I have (PXTH 606Q) but cannot tell me how much quieter it if. Does anyone have one have any knowledge of this silencer and its performance?

The other possible answer is to go to Longlife exhausts and add in another small silencer further up the system.

My car runs on triple Weber’s which also adds to the noise so a quieter exhaust can only help

Thanks

Cameron

Think you must be getting old mate ! Thought yours was quiet compared to mine as well :lol: Maybe its all those carpet tacks rattling about inside the silencer making the noise :lol::lol:

I was in Dundee all day on Sunday, (it wasny meee), ;) and less of the OLD!!

see you soon

Cameron

When I was a wean the old potato jammed in the exhaust quietened cars for a wee while -- until there was a loud bang as it came out like mash ! You could always try that . Look on the bright side , at your age everyone starts to go deaf anyway so it wont be a problem for long. :P

Hi All

I have a 2in single bore exhaust system on my 6 with one box. The system came originally from Racetorations including a 6,2,1 manifold. Three years ago I replaced the silencer with a phoenix unit I acquired at Malvern and this did quieten things down a bit. However the exhaust if still a bit loud and it generates a course high-pitched sound unlike the much-loved richer deeper growl that we all love.

Having spoken with phoenix they do produce a quieter version of the box I have (PXTH 606Q) but cannot tell me how much quieter it if. Does anyone have one have any knowledge of this silencer and its performance?

The other possible answer is to go to Longlife exhausts and add in another small silencer further up the system.

My car runs on triple Weber’s which also adds to the noise so a quieter exhaust can only help

Thanks

Cameron

Hi Cameron

If it makes you feel a bit younger I agree with you on that system,I had the same a few years back although it sounds nice after a long trip the resonance starts to get on you I switched back to a twin silencer

Regards

Neil

Hi Cameron

If it makes you feel a bit younger I agree with you on that system,I had the same a few years back although it sounds nice after a long trip the resonance starts to get on you I switched back to a twin silencer

Regards

Neil

Thank you Neil, the first sensible reply, however even you had to bring up the age issue. Scotty is a little younger but he's catching up fast ;)

all the Best

Cameron

Thank you Neil, the first sensible reply, however even you had to bring up the age issue. Scotty is a little younger but he's catching up fast ;)

all the Best

Cameron

Hi Cameron

No offence intended lad ;) Now you guys north of the border you are as old as you feel :lol:

Regards

Neil

Ps

Cameron

Without the benefit of a surrey/hard top I would go back to a twin system I at that time could not find single silencer that would do the job.

Edited by ntc

After driving a few thousand miles with a straight throu exhaust silencer and getting resonance boom I decided to try the quieter silencer from Phoenix which was designed for the German TUV market.Fitted it and although it did quieten things down a bit it was not as much as I would have liked.Well after putting on more than a few thousand miles including Europe it is so much quieter and I am now very happy.It is a joy to cruise at 70+ in overdrive top now.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :rolleyes:

After driving a few thousand miles with a straight throu exhaust silencer and getting resonance boom I decided to try the quieter silencer from Phoenix which was designed for the German TUV market.Fitted it and although it did quieten things down a bit it was not as much as I would have liked.Well after putting on more than a few thousand miles including Europe it is so much quieter and I am now very happy.It is a joy to cruise at 70+ in overdrive top now.

Thanks Harry, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Cameron

Hi Harry

Is that with the back light on or off?

Regards

Neil

Edited by ntc

Hi Neil,

My TR5 has had the back light from day one.The resonance was very intrusive and it also helped when I weakened off the metering unit.It was running to rich after running in.Happy days and now for power steering.Helmet on for the flack I am about to receive!.

....now for power steering.Helmet on for the flack I am about to receive!.

No, you know what we're thinking, we don't need to say it :lol:

Ivor

Hi Neil,

My TR5 has had the back light from day one.The resonance was very intrusive and it also helped when I weakened off the metering unit.It was running to rich after running in.Happy days and now for power steering.Helmet on for the flack I am about to receive!.

You cover a fair distance in your car every year, so why not?

Don't worry mate, I'll stick by your decision ;)

Cameron,

cheaper to wear ear muffs, pink acceptable ! Or wait till you are older & deafer, its cheaper again.

Duncan

ps, think I did hear you from Dundee

Hi Duncan

I like that "Wait until your older" comment, this obviously infers that I'm not yet old!

I think Scotty owes you a pint for that :P

All the Best

Cameron