Just unearthed TR7 dhc fresh barn find,advice sought!

Hi all.

I stopped off at a big farm and house today,as they had free roof panels,so I checked it out for my impending double garage!

Sadly not enough or in good enough condition for me!

BUT!!!!!!!

I told the owner what its for and about my 2 classics.

He says do you want a TR7 ive owned from new?

As he was the MD of the TRIUMPH dealership,he had it as his company/demo car when they were launched in late 70's,I think he said it was on demo plates for 2 yrs before being registered

He still is the MD of the dealership,but they sell another make of car now!!

I would imagine it would be one of the very first off the line,but would have to know the early chassis numbers and check its chassis no for that!

THE CAR!!!

Its on a 'V' reg 79/80,2.0L DHC, metallic gold,gold chq interior,65k miles, full dealership history,last on road in 1987,then stored in a very dry barn till last weekend,now kept in a very big open barn,new hood and some other bits.

He can get it MOT'ed,but is not going to spend the money on it to fully recommission it.

Wants it to go to an enthusiast!! That will be me then!!! :P

He will take what its worth!! But thats the problem?

Is his value the same as mine? He wouldnt say how much,as I suspect he doesnt really know!!

I could not see any signs of any rot anywhere in the 20 mins I looked over it!

But I know there could be hidden nasties,and a better check over this sat morn will find anything!

It probably really only needs a fresh coat of paint,but it could possibly clean up very well,as i saw no peeling laquer anywhere,and a damned good clean up to be an excellent car,that can be gradually improved on over a summer or 2!

I reckon offer £500 and take it as it is,with an mot if poss!

What do you TR7 experts reckon???

Cheers Dave

Edited by PILKIE

Hi Dave,

65K miles and 8 years of use, then 22 years off the road . . . .

95% chance there'll be some hidden rot in the front turrets, or front floor/bulkhead, sills, or rear floor/bulkhead.

Engine will need a rebuild, even if it runs it will pop the head gasket in weeks, radiator probably about to go. Replace all hoses and rubber, and no doubt all the ht system. Carb rebuild probable, they'll leak. Odds on the petrol tank is dodgy too. Gearbox will be well down its working life, after that much storage probably requires overhaul too, prop could be seized, diff might be OK. New clutch, inevitable, and the hydraulics.

Suspension will require rebushing all the way round, and new shockers. Hydraulics/brakes will require replacement all the way round. New wheelbearings all round, probably. New tyres, of course, all round.

Electrics were always a Wedge weakness, you'll have some fun getting them all working again.

Seat foam is probably knackered, door cards off and lubricate the door/window mechanisms or they'll break.

If the current owner can get an MoT on it then it will either be costly . . . . or not worth the paper it's written on.

£500 tops.

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle
I reckon Alec's summed it up, but if you do accept the poisoned chalice, how are you going to stretch your garage into a triple? :P

Dave need just some others free roof panels :lol:

Chris.

MMMMM?????

If I stretch it to my full garden width, it will be 20 foot wide and by my reckoning if I allow 6ft width per car they will all just fit!!

BUT I wouldnt be able to open the doors to get out!! :lol:

...BUT I wouldnt be able to open the doors to get out!! :lol:

Shouldn't be a problem with two convertibles and a Webasto sunroof, although you may need to install a few ropes from the ceiling to swing Tarzan-style over the cars to the door. :)

Edited by BrianC