4a vibration

Hi all again, just got a few teething problems with my new car,incidentally thanks for all your advices with regard to the tyre pressures I will try 24 front 26 rear as suggested and let you know how I get on.

I have another annoying problem when cruising on motorways I get a ''tizzz'' from the gearstick any suggestions, the gearbox and overdrive have both been proffesionally rebuilt.

Regards Babs

I have another annoying problem when cruising on motorways I get a

''tizzz'' from the gearstick any suggestions, the gearbox and overdrive

have both been proffesionally rebuilt.

Hi Babs,

This is a fairly typical TR trait.

There are some things you can do that may help, but there's no

absolute solution.

Check out previous threads on the Forum on the anti-rattle spring

in the base of the gear lever, the 'weight' that "should" be attached

to the rear of the gearbox and the strap that fits between the gearbox

extension (through the base of the gear stick) to the mounting point.

Attention to all of these to make sure they are as functional as they

can be can help but, as I said, no absolute solutions.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

As Alan says, it's a TRait - most 4-cylinder TRs do it, some intermittently.

Many have lost significant amounts of hair and valuable driving time trying to cure it, but I just live with it. All my TRs did/do it to a greater or lesser extent. Not so noticeable top-down at speed and often masked by other noises (especially the exhaust).

Hi Babs,

use the fizzing to ehance your driving stance.

Right hand on the wheel, right elbow on the lowered window, left hand on the gear stick, radio on loud (Beach Boys preferable), shades either on eyes or forehead/hairline.

Not only do you stop the noise but you look cool as well.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
Right hand on the wheel, right elbow on the lowered window, left hand on the gear stick, radio on loud (Beach Boys preferable), shades either on eyes or forehead/hairline.

Not only do you stop the noise but you look cool as well.

Roger

Or you look like an old bloke trying to look cool :P Me I just look like a bald fat bloke driving a cool car :lol:

Alan

It is my understanding that the weight at the rear of the gearbox was only ever fitted to non-overdrive g/boxes and then not always!

Graeme

incidentally thanks for all your advices with regard to the tyre pressures I will try 24 front 26 rear

I have another annoying problem when cruising on motorways I get a ''tizzz'' from the gearstick any suggestions, the gearbox and overdrive have both been proffesionally rebuilt.

Regards Babs

Hi Babs,

It's a common thing to have more pressure at the rear, but it's not logical. The weight is upfront and you want max steering firmness while the rear is light and calls for max road adherence.

Hence I always use 2 kg/cm2 (30-29 psi, 165.80.15 vredestein) in the front and 1.8 (26) at the rear. For you that would be 26 (1.8) front and 24 (1.7) rear if these are the good values for you.

I just noticed on your other thread that you have 195.65.15 Pirelli installed. I'll bet you'll discard these useless surfboards pretty sooon and go back to 165.80s. I'm not saying anything, just compare both rides when you drive hard in wet vs dry conditions.

Considering the gearbox noise, a stronger lateral strap was the solution. I had the gb weight in the early days but removed it immediately on the grounds of looking like a hernia. Besides I always remove any weight I can.

Re-music for sound disguise and general coolness, I'll stick to the Rolling Stones, white scarf, cigar and general WWI ace attire. I mean these RS guys are all older than me, right? And I've got my original blood, not like some, right? So I can't look that bad......

Badfrog.

AMPHIBIANS ROCK. :ph34r:

Edited by Badfrog

[quote name='Kiwifrog' date='Apr 12 2009, 07:43 PM' post='126206'

Me I just look like a bald fat bloke driving a cool car :lol:

Alan

So, there is more than one of us then :lol::lol::lol:

Back on topic, mine rattles on accleration but is quite on overun/ cruise :huh: