How to remove the Hex/Dog bolt from Fan!

Hi!

I managed to remove my radiator and began to tackle the hex/dog bolt for the fan - I intended to change my timing chain and tensioner, but couldn't shift the bolt -hence I had to completely reassemble!

Do I need to remove the fan, ie: the four fixing bolts? Or is that not advisable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I need this job done before our trip to Ireland at Easter!

Kind regards

Eoin

Liverpool

Working from memory, yes, you do need to remove the fan. Mark it so that you can replace it in the same location. Then, you need a large pipe wrench to hold the fan extension hub and apply the torque to the dog bolt with a long extension. Sounds bizzare, but I was told by a long-time mechanic who worked on the originals that that's how they did it at the factory, and you can see the pipe wrench marks on the original extension. Anyway, I followed his advice, and it worked like charm. On reinstalling it, use the pipe wrench again to hold the extension as you tighten the dog bolt. It's important that the timing mark be correct when you reinstall the crankshaft pulley, so it would be useful to follow the shop manual or Haynes for the full procedure. It's not complicated, but the manual will point out the points to watch. Don't overtighten the stud holding the timing chain tensioner spring - it's very easy to strip.

Hi Eoin,

I think you do need to get the fan off. I've read that there may be a balance weight of some form retained by those 4 bolts holding the fan on, so take care to remember exactly (rotationally) how the fan, tabs & stuff go together. Also, take the chance to check your fan for cracks. I found cracks emanating from the rivets which attach the blades to the steel centre... if one of those blades comes off it'll ruin your whole day.

dave

I managed to remove my radiator and began to tackle the hex/dog bolt for the fan - I intended to change my timing chain and tensioner, but couldn't shift the bolt -hence I had to completely reassemble!

Do I need to remove the fan, ie: the four fixing bolts? Or is that not advisable?

If you have the space to wield it, you may find that belting your spanner with a lump hammer will help to get it moving. The shock effect ofton moves these things better than a constant pull. :o Watch out you don't do any accidental damage with the hammer though.

Hi!

I managed to remove my radiator and began to tackle the hex/dog bolt for the fan -

I intended to change my timing chain and tensioner, but couldn't shift the bolt -

hence I had to completely reassemble!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I need this job done before our trip to Ireland at Easter!

Kind regards

Eoin

Liverpool

No problem in removing the 4 fan fixings bolts as long as you

make sure you get everything back together the same way.

If you can remove the hex/dog bolt without removing the fan,

all well and good - do it. It's a normal clockwise thread.

You need to either block the engine movement somehow, or use

the inertia of the crank/flywheel + compression and, as has been said,

'it it wi'a big 'ammer.

Not sure if you will be able to get enough purchase on the hex/dog

bolt to do this, in which case you may have to remove the fan assembly.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100
Hi!

Kind regards

Eoin

Liverpool

Not sure what a dog bolt is, but if you mean the bolt holding the pulley to the crankshaft, I used a socket on a short arm, wedged in position on the bolt and against the chassis, disconnected the ignition from coil and BRIEFLY fired the starter, worked a treat,

john

Hi, Smokey,ctc77965o, johnny250, TR 2100, jerrytr5!

Many thanks for the responses! I hadn't realised I had any responses, kinda thought my problem was such a silly insignificant one, of little interest to the hardened TR chappies!

I'll weigh-up all this advice and get on with it next Sunday! It's really encouraging to know there is a fraternity of support such as this! I do hope you all don't get 'bugged' by my future questions!

Cheers to you all!

Eoin

Edited by Eoin
Not sure what a dog bolt is, but if you mean the bolt holding the pulley to the crankshaft, I used a socket on a short arm, wedged in position on the bolt and against the chassis, disconnected the ignition from coil and BRIEFLY fired the starter, worked a treat,

john

Thats ok if the bolt comes undone but if it does not somethings got to give and you could trash the starter motor or the ring gear. Ideally an impact wrench as used in tyre shops would be the way to go as this puts no strain on the crank or gearbox. I have an electric wrench but I expect the power you need will mean a compressed air one.

Chris

Thats ok if the bolt comes undone but if it does not somethings got to give and you could trash the starter motor or the ring gear. Ideally an impact wrench as used in tyre shops would be the way to go as this puts no strain on the crank or gearbox. I have an electric wrench but I expect the power you need will mean a compressed air one.

Chris

Worry not Chris, the amount of torque produced by the enormous reduction gearing from starter motor to crank, makes the method pretty safe. The starter motor/ring gear combo is quite capable of driving the entire car down the road if you leave it in gear. The worst that is likely to happen is that the socket will get spit off the bolt head.

john