Mounting oil Cooler

Hello have just bought a very nice TR3A (and joined the club), but would like to add a few goodies, i have purchased a overdrive, and hard top, will be fitting, i am mostly into MGs in particular Twin cams, i did however own a couple TRs back in the 60s would also like to fit oil cooler i have one from a MGA think would be the same ? where do you mount the cooler as i said i am new to TR ownership, find the forum very useful, are there any modifications you would recommend IE narrow fan belt, etc

Welcome to the Register & Forum.

Don't know why this hasn't received any responses, surely you can't be the first person to fit an oil cooler to a 3A?

Unfortunately, not having a sidescreen car I can't advise on oil cooler position, however make sure you mount it fairly flexibly (on rubber mounts or thin straps) to avoid the possibility of fracture.

I always used to hanker after a twink myself until I saw the light ;)

Jerry

I have an oil cooler fitted to my TR3A. It sits in front of the radiator on a bracket which I had made up so that there is a 2" space under it to allow air to flow to the radiator. There are two flexibles which run to the oil filter adaptor. One has the thermostat in it, fitted close to the LH front horn, and there is an adaptor plate which takes both flexibles and allows the filter to be fitted as before. This arrangement has worked well for many years and I have an oil temperature guage which confirms that the oil is never hot.

You will find that keeping the engine cool is another matter. My radiator and electric fan have got this problem in control also. There is a lot of discussion on the forum on cooling the TR3

Good luck with yours

Richard :)

Welcome to the Register & Forum.

Don't know why this hasn't received any responses, surely you can't be the first person to fit an oil cooler to a 3A?

I'll second the 'Welcome' and good choice of TR model, but suggest the lack of response is due to the perceived wisdom that fitting an oil cooler to any of the 4-cylinder TRs is a waste of money unless you intend serious competitive or sustained hard driving.

I have an oil cooler fitted to my TR3A...and I have an oil temperature guage which confirms that the oil is never hot.

You will find that keeping the engine cool is another matter. My radiator and electric fan have got this problem in control also. There is a lot of discussion on the forum on cooling the TR3

Isn't the lack of oil temperature one of the reasons that oil coolers are not a good idea, unless fitted with a thermostat in the correct location? There is a lot of debate on this, and other forums, but I decided that, provided the oil and filter are changed regularly, then there is little or no reason to fit an oil cooler on a road car as the oil temperature is unlikely to rise above its intended operating range.

Most cooling problems are due to accumulated build-up of sludge in the radiator and water passages of the engine, especially around the rear cylinder liners. This can often be partially cured by a good flushing of the system (including heater) and removing the engine block drain tap and poking around with a length of stiff wire. Partially collapse rubber hoses can also contribute significantly to overheating. With a rebuilt engine, reconditioned radiator and new hoses, the cooling system works just fine.

As already stated, there is a lot of discussion and good advice on the Forum (once you've tamed the search engine :unsure: ).

Edited by BrianC
Hello have just bought a very nice TR3A (and joined the club), but would like to add a few goodies, i have purchased a overdrive, and hard top, will be fitting, i am mostly into MGs in particular Twin cams, i did however own a couple TRs back in the 60s would also like to fit oil cooler i have one from a MGA think would be the same ? where do you mount the cooler as i said i am new to TR ownership, find the forum very useful, are there any modifications you would recommend IE narrow fan belt, etc

Dear Twincams,

Here is a link I stole from TRDoctor. It shows a flip down front apron. Very neat work underneath showing a well positioned oil cooler.

http://www.performancedesign.net/oldsite/p...404Sample.s.pdf

Regards,

Martin

twincams,

Before I bought my car a few months ago, it spent at few years running in vintage races. Here is where the PO mounted the oil cooler. In this location, it was required to "customize" the bottom of the inside of the grill opening in order to make it fit.

P1030662.jpg

Cheers,

M. Pied Lourd