What tyres

HI

looking for a bit of advice.

I'm just blowing the dust off my TR6 which has been tucked away in the garage for the last 5 years.

Car is going for am MOT next week & on checking it over I've noticed that all 4 tyres are badly cracked & will require replacing

Does anyone know a decent modern tyre size / profile that is suitable for the car?

Regards

Paul

I have fitted late last summer Toyo Proxes CF1 185/60/15's to my 5... same size as the previous tyres and what I considered to be good value at under £50 each (fitting not included) - bought online... From the reports I read they are supposed to be a good all round tyre (though a little 'squashed' at the bottom :lol: !!!)

Brgds

Edited by ianhoward

There are a few threads on this subject if you search the TR6 forum for tyres!

165,175,185,195,205,even 215 x 15's have been fitted to cars in the past!!

165 and 185 were std for UK and US. 60,70,80 profile have all been used,various makers all been used,all have good and bad reports!

Some people say you cant fit 205 or 215's??

Ive got 205/60 Firestones and have no issues at all with them!!

Some owners stick with the same maker for life,others chop and change!

Just make sure they are car tyres 4 ply and not 8 ply van jobs,and get the correct speed rating,or better,either get the best you can afford,or the cheapest you can find!!

Cheap does not always mean ****!! but if you can get a well know make "Firestone" for the same price as Conway,then go for the Firestone!!

Another thing to look for is the tread pattern!!

Some owners prefer a modern sporty looking tyre,others, like me, prefer the proper period look!! ;)

Also some tyres have a rotation direction arrow,and cannot be swapped n/s to o/s or vice versa!!

So IMHO its best to go for a non rotational tyre so you can swap them about to even out any wear on them!!

There are a few threads on this subject if you search the TR6 forum for tyres!

Some people say you cant fit 205 or 215's??

Ive got 205/60 Firestones and have no issues at all with them!!

I know you & a few others would expect me to jump in here Dave :lol: . It’s not so much that you can’t fit them, they will fit the rims just as easily as any 15” whatever the width. The issue is that the cross section exceeds the maximum design width for 5 ½“ rims. The maximum for 5 ½“ rims is 85 section. The originial section was 65 for UK cars 85 for US, you can push it to 95 if you really feel you must & this nearly matches the original diameter but they are are best suited to 6” rims. Fitting over section tyres won’t improve the handling & under certain circumstances will have the opposite of the desired effect.

Hi Paul

What Richard says is spot on. I found 185s right for the original 5.5 rims but now use 195 on 6". Both suited the car well. As for make; every tyre fitter I have ever talked to says the Michelin are the finest tyres you can buy. I have used them for apprx. 10 years with no problems whatsoever. They seem to be about £250/260 fitted which I consider OK. My wife has Toyo on a MX5 and says they are fine, cheaper two.

Happy new tyres!

Phil

If you've done a search on the main and TR6 forums, you'll probably have found that the most recommended tyre is the Vredestein Classic (I may be missppelling that :P ).

Ivor

• 1 month later...
the best tyres for TR6 are 165HR15 Michelin XAS, with out doubt. 185/70VR15 are also recomended as an option, of which they are a few good choices, and the Pirelli Cinturato is great value, it's about the same price as the Vredestein while at the same time being a good tyre.

fitting tyres that are wider than 185 is a blatant sign of cowardice, where the only benefir to fitting the fatter foot print is to have better stopping power, and to spoil the handling and cornering capabilitties of a car because the driver daren't go near the edge af it's cornering capabilities because he is scared.

Hi,

About 5 years ago, I fitted the 185 Vredesteins and they performed very well in all road conditions. However, I began to experience an intermittent vibration which appeared to come through the steering. Several wheel rebalancing attempts did not cure it. Eventually a friend folowing me spotted that the wheels were out of true. The wheels were replaced and, when they were being balanced with the Vredesteins fitted, it was discovered that all four tyres had a lump across the tread. A friend who is an expert in this field was of the opinion that, rather than butting the cut carcasses, they had been cut too long and had been overlapped. The wheels did more or less balance but I was advised that the tyres were a potential hazard. I swapped them for Fulda Y2000's 185/70R15's for which I paid £95 each, fitted. Supplier - tyretraders.com. I am delighted with them so far. The only possible objection is that the tread pattern is a bit on the modern side. For anyone who has not heard of Fulda, the company is owned by Continental Tyres and has more than 10% of the German car tyre market.

Jim

the best tyres for TR6 are 165HR15 Michelin XAS, with out doubt.

In the original size and profile ( aspect ratio ) I couldn't agree more. The 185 XAS was still available in 2002 when I got a set for my driver ( now made over and a show car ). Correct for U.S. cars, these are now unavailable; a shame since their grip is so far superior to the Michelin Redline ( S rated ), Avon and Dunlop SP ( H rated ).

As for cowardice, etc. <_< it is noteworthy that many TRs now sport 6" wheels which accommodate wider sizes than 185s with the attendant benefits ;)

Here are mine 6 years since they were new:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/im...15L9-6-8015.jpg

Agreed the Michelin XASs are the dogs whotsits But as noted not available in 185 form anymore. Only drawback to the 165 version as I have just found out having fitted a set to a 5 is the price :lol: £149 plus VAT each :blink:

Stuart.