Holes in the 'H' frame

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your replies. The reason I want to fit a switch is so that the car is not live when parked in my garage next to the gas boiler and below my son's bedroom. I suppose my fear, however unlikely, is of an electrical short followed by a fire. So for my purposes it doesn't look as though it would make any difference if I switched the earth or the positive lead. I'm inclined to switch the earth as it look simpler - a couple of new leads from Vehicle Wiring Products and job done.

As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me how they fitted a cut out switch to the positive lead. Does the positive lead pull apart inside the large jointing block where the alternator wires also meet. If not, where do you break the positive lead?

Thanks again

Les

Les,I use nothing very exotic.My isolator has been fitted to both the positive and negative leads at the battery posts at different times.You could put one on each if you so desire.It is a rotary switch fitted to the battery post with a dummy battery post on the side.You fit the switch to the battery then connect the lead you wish to break to the dummy post.I'm sure I've seen similiar devices in English magazines.

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I know the type you mean. I was thinking about a remote switch that I could mount in the 'H' frame. Just interested to know if the positive lead pulls apart at the jointing block where the feed from the alternator meets it. If not, how have the guys with remote switches on the positive lead gone about the installation? If I cut off the battery terminal and replaced it with a ring terminal, I don't think it would reach the switch where I want to locate it.

Regards

Les

Les, the battery main cut-off switch has to be fitted to the big black cable that connects the battery. If you want to put it inside the car, you better iinclude the switch into the ground side (earth lead) using a longer cable that's going to and from the switch direct to the - pole on the battery.

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the reply. You will have seen from previous posts on this topic, opinion is split. Some say only break the positive cable and some say it doesn't matter which you break. It appears easier to me to break the earth cable but I was just interested to find out how the guys who put a switch in the positive cable went about it. That is, exactly where do they break the positive cable and does it pull apart at the junction where the alternator leads join.

Regards

Les

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jean,

Thanks for the reply. You will have seen from previous posts on this topic, opinion is split. Some say only break the positive cable and some say it doesn't matter which you break. It appears easier to me to break the earth cable but I was just interested to find out how the guys who put a switch in the positive cable went about it. That is, exactly where do they break the positive cable and does it pull apart at the junction where the alternator leads join.

Regards

Les

Les,

When I fitted cut-out switch to dashboard, I bought a short length of heavy battery cable locally from battery to switch and soldered on the necessary eye terminals. The existing battery lead to solenoid was then long enough to reach the cut-out switch. I did take extra care to sleeve it and make sure there were no sharp edges...the car had suffered a fire behind the dash before I got it....no doubt causing it's original demise. As i said, i use it all the time whenever car is left, makes me feel happier.

John

Edited by johnny250
As i said, i use it all the time whenever car is left, makes me feel happier.

I suppose the concern is over spontaneous combustion :huh:

If ever I want to disable the car to prevent theft I just remove the rotor from the dizzy. I never worried about the former until I put a wiring harness ( loom ) in my show car - now it's never left in the garage without removing the positive lead <_< Just one of those phobias I guess...

I suppose the concern is over spontaneous combustion :huh:

If ever I want to disable the car to prevent theft I just remove the rotor from the dizzy. I never worried about the former until I put a wiring harness ( loom ) in my show car - now it's never left in the garage without removing the positive lead <_< Just one of those phobias I guess...

I always remove battery leads on any car that is in the workshop overnight. I have seen the state of some peoples looms and they very rarely inspire confidence :blink:

Stuart