Bulkhead Sealer Plate

I have a question regarding the bulkhead sealer plate. I recall that these were added some time after TR2 production. My quesn concerns the finish. If they were attached AFTER the body shell was received from Mulliners how were they finished. Were they painted black or did the factory spray them to match body colour?

I have a question regarding the bulkhead sealer plate. I recall that these were added some time after TR2 production. My quesn concerns the finish. If they were attached AFTER the body shell was received from Mulliners how were they finished. Were they painted black or did the factory spray them to match body colour?

My TR2 (March 54 produced) had the plates fitted but Im not sure on the colour question. (mine are an overall shade of rust :lol: but still serviceable!) I would have said body colour but Mike Ellis may be able to confirm.

Stuart.

Back in the 50's these were definately black.

My TR2 (March 54 produced) had the plates fitted but Im not sure on the colour question. (mine are an overall shade of rust :lol: but still serviceable!) I would have said body colour but Mike Ellis may be able to confirm.

Stuart.

Frank, Just for information, I have an original TR2 spare parts catalogue "Commission number TS1 and future" with a print date of 12/54, and the sealer plates are shown in the relevant diagram with accompanying part numbers so suspect they were fitted from start of factory production.

I have seen some side screen bodyshells pre restoration where the extended area of metal holding the captive nuts for the plates has completely rotted away and in one case it had be undersealed subsequently, and in another home made wider plates had been made up bolted straight into the vertical edge of the bulkhead, so this could perhaps account for some shells looking as though the plates were not fitted.

Frank, Just for information, I have an original TR2 spare parts catalogue "Commission number TS1 and future" with a print date of 12/54, and the sealer plates are shown in the relevant diagram with accompanying part numbers so suspect they were fitted from start of factory production.

I have seen some side screen bodyshells pre restoration where the extended area of metal holding the captive nuts for the plates has completely rotted away and in one case it had be undersealed subsequently, and in another home made wider plates had been made up bolted straight into the vertical edge of the bulkhead, so this could perhaps account for some shells looking as though the plates were not fitted.

Pretty much all the sidescreen cars I have either restored or worked on or seen pre restoration have had all or part of that lip rotted off them.I would say the factory didnt bother too much with sealer between the join :(

Stuart.

Yes Frank, the backs of the cover plates were black on the cars I've rebuilt, and the fronts were virtually rust brown. At a guess they were probably fitted by S-T rather than Mulliners, as the cover plates would go on after the guards for a snug fit of the rubber seals. A black finish would allow their use on any coloured car that came down the line.

By cutting a couple of inches off the bottom of the cover plates, you can get a hose in to clean out the accumulated silt that tends to stay damp over winter, eventually rotting out the lower back section of the mudguard.

The real damage though is when this rust weakens the A pillar weld to the inner sill, and you get increased scuttle shake, and compromised body strength.

That's probably no longer a risk on a limited use car, but I like to hose the front guards out twice per year, despite our dry climate.

Regards,

Viv.