Headlight Switch

Guest ntc

I used a Lucas wiper switch 158453, but then you have to use a Double Pole Normally Open (DPNO) relay after, since low speed connect brown AND red to black, whereas the Lucas switch only connects ONE wire to black per position.

Neil,

Does this Lucas switch fit the requirement?

1lightingswitchwithheadlampflash.jpg

It has two switch positions, the first for side lights and the second for the headlamps, it also has a operation for flashing the headlamps by pulling the stalk upwards towards the steering wheel.

The black plastic end to the stalk is a different shape to the original switches of my TR4, however I am not sure what they are supposed to look like on a TR5.

Regards, Richard ;)

Neil,

Does this Lucas switch fit the requirement?

1lightingswitchwithheadlampflash.jpg

It has two switch positions, the first for side lights and the second for the headlamps, it also has a operation for flashing the headlamps by pulling the stalk upwards towards the steering wheel.

The black plastic end to the stalk is a different shape to the original switches of my TR4, however I am not sure what they are supposed to look like on a TR5.

Regards, Richard ;)

Hi Richard

Many thanks but the Tr5 switch is on the dash but food for thought?

Regards

Neil

Edited by ntc
Many thanks but the Tr5 switch is on the dash

:blink: News to me! Both Bill Piggott's and Graham Robson's books show RHD and LHD cars resectively with a column switch for these functions. Richard's picture looks like the right one to me ( unless it's wrong-handed - can't tell ).

Maybe you've got a later TR6 dash arrangement :huh:

You had me worried - I will double check 1st but based on your dire news about unavailability I was about to bid a ransom on a NOS column switch.. <_<

:blink: News to me! Both Bill Piggott's and Graham Robson's books show RHD and LHD cars resectively with a column switch for these functions. Richard's picture looks like the right one to me ( unless it's wrong-handed - can't tell ).

Maybe you've got a later TR6 dash arrangement :huh:

You had me worried - I will double check 1st but based on your dire news about unavailability I was about to bid a ransom on a NOS column switch.. <_<

I know on my TR4A the light switch is column mounted. I was very surprised to hear that this TR5 has a dash mounted version.

TT

I would check again and then some more I will stand corrected but I have owned three Tr 5's and all was dash mounted the car I have now has had two previous owners and the paper work is correct having checked it there is no modification to the wiring apart from what I have done

Neil

I used a Lucas wiper switch 158453, but then you have to use a Double Pole Normally Open (DPNO) relay after, since low speed connect brown AND red to black, whereas the Lucas switch only connects ONE wire to black per position.

Sorry I thought you meant WIPER switch - forget my answer which was for the wiper switch not the headlight switch!

Sorry I thought you meant WIPER switch - forget my answer which was for the wiper switch not the headlight switch!

Hi Brett

You have maybe given me away around it, it's just the wiring again :(

Regards

Neil

Edited by ntc

I'm intrigued!!!!! :unsure:

All the pics,and info I've seen of the TR5 dash only show wash and wipe rocker switches,and the dash light dimmer switch! Same as the early TR6's!!

And the main headlight, off,side,main,flash switch on the left side of the column!! With the dip/main switch on the floor for the left foot!!

Can you post a piccy of your light switch position Neil???

Well here you go Dave if it is wrong then so be it the wiper switch above is also spring loaded to operate washer's however this is busted also. The second pic show's no foot dip switch there is no hole's in the foot well for mounting the switch unlike my CP 6 and the other 5's . The wiring to the light switch has not been altered and the left column stalk is dip/main beam

Regards

Neil

Edited by ntc
Well here you go Dave if it is wrong then so be it the wiper switch above is also spring loaded to operate washer's however this is busted also. The second pic show's no foot dip switch there is no hole's in the foot well for mounting the switch unlike my CP 6 . The wiring to the light switch has not been altered and the left column stalk is dip/main beam

Regards

Neil

Hi Neil, my TR5 is exactly the same as yours on the dash. My paper work shows as original and no alteration to wiring.

All the best

PS Ramp is working great, very glad I bought it/

Is this the one you are after???

Light Switch

I wonder what the history is of why there is a difference in production??

Maybe it was meant to be a ckd and didnt make it out of the country,and they used up parts to make a few on the production line??? :huh:

Edited by PILKIE
Is this the one you are after???

Light Switch

I wonder what the history is of why there is a difference in production??

Maybe it was meant to be a ckd and didnt make it out of the country,and they used up parts to make a few on the production line??? :huh:

Hi Dave

Read my reply earlier the correct switch has five terminals and no it was not ckd as i said my other 5's were the same. Paul thank god they all must have thought i was bonkers :P glad you got the ramp you will not regret it

Regards

Neil

Hi Neil.

I read your post,saw the switch,looks the same, sadly I cant see round the back to count the terminals!!

Its the thought that counts! :P

I didnt say it WAS a ckd,only that it may have been destined to be but was stopped at some point,and used some of the parts from one on the production line as other stock was short supply!

Dave

Hi Neil.

I read your post,saw the switch,looks the same, sadly I cant see round the back to count the terminals!!

Its the thought that counts! :P

I didnt say it WAS a ckd,only that it may have been destined to be but was stopped at some point,and used some of the parts from one on the production line as other stock was short supply!

Dave

Hi Dave

No prob's ;) thanks now you will see why it is so hard to find

Cheers

Neil

Edited by ntc

This tale leaves a few loose ends - for example, where' s your wiper switch, Neil :unsure: Or, where's the washer switch? Wouldn't the wiring loom reach either way?

The turn signal tip looks odd too :huh:

Since the LHD cars' dimmer switch is located on a sheet metal pedestal at the outboard side of the footwell I supposed likewise for the RHD cars. ( Your photo shows the inboard side :mellow: ) On the other hand that would require releasing the accelerator to operate it. Hmmm...

Anyhow, what should we make of the column switches in the referenced cars in the aforementioned bibles?

As for " paperwork " - your world is quite different than ours if records of switch changes are compulsory. The very idea would make most Yanks laugh :P

This tale leaves a few loose ends - for example, where' s your wiper switch, Neil :unsure: Or, where's the washer switch? Wouldn't the wiring loom reach either way?

The turn signal tip looks odd too :huh:

Since the LHD cars' dimmer switch is located on a sheet metal pedestal at the outboard side of the footwell I supposed likewise for the RHD cars. ( Your photo shows the inboard side :mellow: ) On the other hand that would require releasing the accelerator to operate it. Hmmm...

Anyhow, what should we make of the column switches in the referenced cars in the aforementioned bibles?

As for " paperwork " - your world is quite different than ours if records of switch changes are compulsory. The very idea would make most Yanks laugh :P

Hi Tom laugh away look closer the turn signal as you say is the overdrive changed to a momentary switch. Dave correct

Neil

Edited by ntc
Well here you go Dave if it is wrong then so be it the wiper switch above is also spring loaded to operate washer's however this is busted also. The second pic show's no foot dip switch there is no hole's in the foot well for mounting the switch unlike my CP 6 and the other 5's . The wiring to the light switch has not been altered and the left column stalk is dip/main beam

Regards

Neil

Hi Neil,

What column switches are on your TR5 and what do they do?

My assumptions are:

RHS

indicators

overdrive switch (momentary of otherwise)

LHS

Headlamp flasher

?

I would be very interested to know for an article I am working on.

Thanks

TT