it was the flutterbies

Hey up its me again

It was a while ago so you may not remember when i asked your advise about the problem i was having.

Anyway i think youve solved it for me with your numerous replies,my cp tr6 was like riding a kangeroo at low speeds,i fitted new dizzy cap and rotor arm ,electronic ignition new plug leads etc all of which seemed to calm the joey slightly and then plucked up the courage to tackle the butterflies where i found one of them to be out of sync albeit ever so slightly ,tried the old fag paper trick and bingo what a difference(thanks Richard)and thanks to everyone else for their input,i can now drive within the realms of legality.

Bet you thought that was itdidnt you,well heres another easy one .

Ive got a bit ofplay in the nearside trunnion ,dont laugh to much but is that the left or right ,you know what i mean is it viewed from the drivers seat or looking at the car from the front ,have you stopped laughing enough to press buttons yet.

please help

John.m

Are you sure its the trunnion and not the wheel bearing? Nip that up just to be sure!!

Pump it full of grease till the stuff comes out at the rubber! it normally then pushes all the old crud out!! ;)

Give it a few turns lock to lock to spread it about while pumping the grease in, and hopefully that is all that it needs!!

But if it still shows wear when full of grease,you will have to put it on the jobs to do soon list as they can either wear out pretty quick,or last for ages depending on mileage and style of driving!

Are you sure its the trunnion and not the wheel bearing? Nip that up just to be sure!!

Pump it full of grease till the stuff comes out at the rubber! it normally then pushes all the old crud out!! ;)

Give it a few turns lock to lock to spread it about while pumping the grease in, and hopefully that is all that it needs!!

But if it still shows wear when full of grease,you will have to put it on the jobs to do soon list as they can either wear out pretty quick,or last for ages depending on mileage and style of driving!

Thanks for the left or right Rhodri,Dave it was the nasty MOT man that told me there was play in the trunnion but i will pack it with grease and see what happens ,cheers

John m

I think there could be a debate on what to use in a trunnion?? oil or grease!!! :huh:

All the cars I have had, that have had trunnions,the book has said to LM grease them!!

Oil to me doesnt seem logical :blink: as it is liquid,and would gradually leak out!!

When I heard that a TR's trunnions were supposed to be oiled,I put it down to a misprint in the manual or mis-information heard fourth hand!!

It all depends on which workshop manual you have!!

LM Grease being a lot thicker than oil will take up wear,and stay put longer!!

Edited by PILKIE
I think there could be a debate on what to use in a trunnion?? oil or grease!!! :huh:

All the cars I have had, that have had trunnions,the book has said to LM grease them!!

Oil to me doesnt seem logical :blink: as it is liquid,and would gradually leak out!!

When I heard that a TR's trunnions were supposed to be oiled,I put it down to a misprint in the manual or mis-information heard fourth hand!!

It all depends on which workshop manual you have!!

LM Grease being a lot thicker than oil will take up wear,and stay put longer!!

There’s already been several Dave! It should definately be oil in the later TR's but I also did some digging around a while back & posted further info which highlighted why Triumph changed from grease to oil for the later TR models & also mentioned several other cars (Herald & Lotus) have always used grease in what amounts to the same trunions. I can’t find the topic (good search engine ours! :rolleyes: ) but have search if you feel inclined; basically, it stems from the weight of the later cars on the front suspension, concerns about what happened to grease with a lack of maintenance & some early failures which prompted the change.

I've been told this is a good compromise. I have bought some and intend to use it on both cars in the next few weeks (unless someone comes up with a good reason not to).

Semi Fluid Penrite Grease

A self-levelling Grease ideal for certain veteran transmissions and Burman motorcycle gearboxes as well as Land Rover swivel hubs.

Years ago I used to use a Red grease in transfer boxes that had Phosphor bronze gear wheels (essentially the same materials as trunnions) and that prolonged the life of the gears greatly. I cant for the life of me remember what it was called though it was readily available through agricultural dealers.

Stuart.

EP 90 is the recommended lube. I use an ordinary Wanner grease gun fitted with a flexible nozzle which I’ve had for over 40 years. All I do is pull the plunger back around an inch, grease usually goes with it but sometime I have to push it down with an old lump of round wood, pour in some oil, pump the grease from the nozzle back into the grease tin until the oil comes through & the charge the trunions until oil oozes out from under the seal. I then squirt the remaining oil back into the oil tin until grease appears, leaving the gun ready & charged with grease again.

Stuart,

it's still around in any agricultural shop, various makers but they all call it 'red grease' somewhere on the tin. Very heavy lithium based stuff, sticks like s**t to a blanket, and it's particularly good on anything brass and bronze as well as steel.

One thing to watch though, it's not too high on the water resistance scale in comparison to, for example, heavy waterproof greases made for mountain bikes and suchlike. It's not expensive either, unlike some of the more exotic car stuff.

Cheers,

Alec

Stuart,

it's still around in any agricultural shop, various makers but they all call it 'red grease' somewhere on the tin. Very heavy lithium based stuff, sticks like s**t to a blanket, and it's particularly good on anything brass and bronze as well as steel.

One thing to watch though, it's not too high on the water resistance scale in comparison to, for example, heavy waterproof greases made for mountain bikes and suchlike. It's not expensive either, unlike some of the more exotic car stuff.

Cheers,

Alec

Thanks for that Alec

I do remember that we had special pressurised grease dispensers for it about the size of a calor gas bottle and pointed ends on the gun that came with it. Very good at clearing previous grease in the unit but not too kind on seals if pressurised too much and I can vouch for its "sticking" ability :blink:

Stuart.

Hey up its me again

It was a while ago so you may not remember when i asked your advise about the problem i was having.

Anyway i think youve solved it for me with your numerous replies,my cp tr6 was like riding a kangeroo at low speeds,i fitted new dizzy cap and rotor arm ,electronic ignition new plug leads etc all of which seemed to calm the joey slightly and then plucked up the courage to tackle the butterflies where i found one of them to be out of sync albeit ever so slightly ,tried the old fag paper trick and bingo what a difference(thanks Richard)and thanks to everyone else for their input,i can now drive within the realms of legality.

Bet you thought that was itdidnt you,well heres another easy one .

Ive got a bit ofplay in the nearside trunnion ,dont laugh to much but is that the left or right ,you know what i mean is it viewed from the drivers seat or looking at the car from the front ,have you stopped laughing enough to press buttons yet.

please help

John.m

Hi,

What is the 'old fag paper trick?!

thanks

tony

Hi,

What is the 'old fag paper trick?!

thanks

tony

Hi Tony

Foster461 has given you the link , if your having the same trouble as i was then its definatley worth checking ,its a bit fiddly but then im a joiner not a mechanic but with some swearing and patience i got there in the end .

Hope you get the result i did because it made a hell of a difference to how smooth the car runs now.

John m