TR4 OPPORTUNITY

Tom I spotted that one when it came on. Due to the current dollar rate it would be pretty expensive in the UK now but still a bargain for our EU friends though. I wonder what the reserve is? Its quite rare to find an unmolested example these days.

Stuart.

Is there anything sadder than a mummyfied TR?

3000 miles and not a spot underneath. Why buy it in the first place?

Not to mention the blee***g strombergs and phoney plywood dashboard.

There, I feel better now.... :ph34r:

I'm with Shezbo, It looks like a very rare find to me with only about 23000 miles on the clock due to its museum status for some years. How many TR4s still exist in such an unmolested condition? Hardly any I would have thought.

As Stuart says for someone in Europe wanting a lhd car it looks a great choice, although there must be appreciative US buyers too.

I don't see what is phoney about the wooden dash. I believe it was an option on late 1963 US bound cars and it was then fitted as standard on all 1964/5 TR4s that went to the US. It looks to be an original fitment to me.

Hopefully is won't be mumified for much longer.

It will need all the rubber suspension parts and probably most of the rubber in the brake system renewing and all hoses as the little amount of use it has had wont have really helped. Still nice to see unmolested cars turning up now and then as they are good reference examples for all of us.

Stuart.

I don't see what is phoney about the wooden dash. I believe it was an option on late 1963 US bound cars and it was then fitted as standard on all 1964/5 TR4s that went to the US. It looks to be an original fitment to me.

US options are a world of their own, with fuzzy dice and devil's eyes decals, it's a question of personal taste. I won't have any truck with these. Besides, it increases the car weight.

In the case of plywood dashboards, these classy items are usually associated with 4As, not 4s. All in all, it could be tolerable if it was real wood or best, veneer, but plywood ? :lol::lol:

The best TR dash I ever saw was an aluminum trimmed special. Now, that's serious aesthetism. B)

No worries,

Plywood dash is perfectly correct on a late USA-Spec TR4.

They just don't look as good as the White Metal dash ;)

Ade

That's true, but the fact that it's a regular option makes it all worse in my mind: servo units and front sway bars were also period options for all TR4s (not only US). Some would go for the plywood, some would go for the sway bar and servo. Guess where my sympathy lies....

Last straw, US 4A's sometimes have live axles.

How can you trust these people? :P

These are preferred by those in the know about the IRS shortcomings - live is bullet proof and easier to render G-worthy. The combination of this with the stronger frame was a fortuitous accident ;)

I wonder what would have happened ( or if I would even be here <_< ) were I in an IRS car instead of live axle 4A when we suddenly flew up onto 2 wheels at 110 mph back in '73...

These are preferred by those in the know about the IRS shortcomings - live is bullet proof and easier to render G-worthy. The combination of this with the stronger frame was a fortuitous accident ;)

I wonder what would have happened ( or if I would even be here <_< ) were I in an IRS car instead of live axle 4A when we suddenly flew up onto 2 wheels at 110 mph back in '73...

Exactly why I bought a live axle car when I was looking for a 4a fifteen years ago.

Stuart.

Not as cheap (25 000 euros), but if someone want a 80 000 kms (50 000 Mles) and 2 owners from new, never welded (except at the factory :P ), never suffered any accident, all originals panels, etc, absolutly rust free, LHD 64' red French TR4, just send me a PM....

She has an original overdrive gearbox, rebuilt engine (due to lack of use for many years...) SS exhaust, new tyres, electric fan for safety, battery switch, etc...

As been tested in a french magazine, and is on the full cover of a french book about Triumph TR.

Car located in South of France (Nîmes, hence the fan, can be bring back in North for a serious buyer.

Cheers,

Chris

PS : Badfrog : she has the original white dash :lol:

Edited by Chris59
Not as cheap (25 000 euros), but if someone want a 80 000 kms (50 000 Mles) and 2 owners from new, never welded (except at the factory :P ), never suffered any accident, all originals panels, etc, absolutly rust free, LHD 64' red French TR4, just send me a PM....

She has an original overdrive gearbox, rebuilt engine (due to lack of use for many years...) SS exhaust, new tyres, electric fan for safety, battery switch, etc...

As been tested in a french magazine, and is on the full cover of a french book about Triumph TR.

Car located in South of France (Nîmes, hence the fan, can be bring back in North for a serious buyer.

Cheers,

Chris

PS : Badfrog : she has the original white dash :lol:

Now, I call this a TR4. And may I add that Lady Ann has been donning a live axle for the last 310 000 km and that I fully agree on the superiority of said contraption.

Live axle ..... it has a woody quality in it. :blink:

Exactly why I bought a live axle car when I was looking for a 4a fifteen years ago.

Stuart.

I totally agree with the live-axle versus IRS comments - I have never felt as confident in either of our TR4As as in the TR3As, although in theory the more modern technology is probably far superior. However, I was under the impression that the IRS chassis was more susceptible to both rot and distortion, so whilst a live-axle TR4A would, for me, be preferable to an IRS car, I'd opt for a proper TR4 if I had the choice (also for other, aesthetic reasons).

I think it is correct to say that the chassis of the live-axle TR4A is waisted in the middle, so will not be as stiff in torsion as that of a TR4, where the side rails are virtually parallel all the way.

Like Brian, I rate a sorted live-axle above wobbly wheels (camber change and locking splines), extra joints (only 2 in the transmission of a live-axle car) and suspect hubs - not to mention differentials and semi-trailing arms parting company with the chassis.

Ian Cornish