Best Carpet Sets / Trim Sets

I'm about to start on the interior trim on my long door TR2 and need to replace all of the carpet and trim (inc. dashboard) as the majority of it has been destroyed over the years.

I'd rather spend a bit more and have a good quality, well fitting set. I have all the catalogs, however before I straight to Moss or similar, can anybody recommend a supplier?

Thanks

Devs

I used Moss US for mine for a 3a while in Canada and it's garbage. Only sort of fits. I wouldn't have minded if they had left enough material to trim myself, but they didn't. I can't speak for Moss UK, but I wouldn't touch Moss again with a barge pole.

Flash

Hi Devs,

This is not current information, but someone I know dealt with Moto-Build of Egham, Surrey, back in about 2003, and he was very happy with the quality of interior trims supplied from their own in house trim shop. I seem to recall that TR engine rebuilds and interior trims were two of their key products.

Their web address was www.moto-build.co.uk back then.

Regards,

Viv.

I used Moss US for mine for a 3a while in Canada and it's garbage. Only sort of fits. I wouldn't have minded if they had left enough material to trim myself, but they didn't. I can't speak for Moss UK, but I wouldn't touch Moss again with a barge pole.

Flash

I agree. The set I got for my 3A were outsize and I could not use the piece that goes in between the 2 rear wheel arches. luckily the old one was in good condition. They need to try fitting a set to find out the problems.

Peter c

I agree. The set I got for my 3A were outsize and I could not use the piece that goes in between the 2 rear wheel arches. luckily the old one was in good condition. They need to try fitting a set to find out the problems.

Peter c

Same experience for me! I bought the carpet from a well reputated UK supplier and I wasn't very happy with the fitting. I had to cut the carpet and I took it to a local upholsterer to make an new edge around the piece of carpet.

What I did before I fitted the carpet: I put large sheets of paper on the ground, lay the carpet pieces on top and with a felt pen I followed the contours of the carpet. When I want to change the carpet, I can go to a local company for a piece of carpet, and ask them to cut it to size.

Menno

Many thanks for your help. I've contacted Moto Build Ltd who are only 60 miles from me and they're able to colour match the trim with my seats & provide me with everything I need, including the fitting of the door & cockpit cap trim, which I understand is pretty fiddly.

Good find!

• 2 weeks later...

I may be too late to help but I must recommend the Roadster Factory in the US. They have the correct Wilton wool and is super plush. The fit was absolutely correct down to the 1/2 inch. Both TS1 and my TS981 sourced the Geranium carpet there.

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana

USA

54 TR2LD

I got my TR3A interior from MB, carpets are of the cheapest material you can find and the hood is leaking like a sieve and windows were too small, just ordered a new one from Don trimming :rolleyes:

If they are close by check their quality first ;)

Dunno why you lot dont get a trimmer to have the car bespokely trimmed, got to be better than "off the peg" surely ??

Very correct, but at a certain time you will have to look at prices too, I'm just a poor pensioner, not a Banker with high bonus, in addition I keep 4 cars on the road :(:( On the other side I met the firm on a show and had no idea about their quality. They made me a good offer for a complete TR3 interior and as preferred to invest my money in more technical istuff, like gas flowing, Webers, suspension upgrades, sport seats.....etc I went for it. It had in fact the lowest priority on my extensive list :lol:

As you see I don't go for concours

Hi

I used John Skinner for thr whole interior on my 5, quality was excellent, you have to wait a while as made to order though. They are based in Cirencester.

For carpets on the GT, I used Don Trimming and had to make some adjustments as a little over sized.

Carl

Just another variation on this same subject.

According to my Heritage Cert, my car was pearl white with red trim & a black hood. However, my question is (& I can't locate this info in any books inc. Original Triumph), what colour was the carpet? Or do I assume that all the trim including the carpet was red, as per Bill's book?

Thanks for all the help.

Just another variation on this same subject.

According to my Heritage Cert, my car was pearl white with red trim & a black hood. However, my question is (& I can't locate this info in any books inc. Original Triumph), what colour was the carpet? Or do I assume that all the trim including the carpet was red, as per Bill's book?

Thanks for all the help.

Unless done to special order (and Triumph would do any combination of interior trim panel/carpet/sidescreen/hood/tonneau colour mix that you cared to request for sidescreen cars) generally red trim would be seats/ trim panels/carpets. TR2s would have had rubber mats in black for front footwells as standard.

Stuart

'Bespoke' trimming is all well and good, but not everyone has a local trimmer willing to work on a TR.

In any case, many trimmers value their work highly, and the end result can be very considerably more expensive than the 'off the peg' stuff from the usual suspects. Many owners either simply can't afford it, or would prefer to spend their pennies on mechanicals rather than cosmetics.

In any case, we're talking about a cheap'n'cheerful production line sportscars, built down to a price in the first instance and not up to a standard.

Why on earth lash out on super deluxe interiors, for something that could equally well have been cranked off the Dagenham Dustbin production line ? That's unfair on Ford, I suppose, at least their panels pretty much fitted . . . a darn sight better than S-T panelwork ever did, new or replacement !

Cheers,

Alec

As told in previous postings a few years back: the interior trim of my car has been made by a local upholsterer who reupholstered our home furniture a few years back, so I knew about the man's skills. I used the old door panels as a template before I used a jig saw to make new ones. It took about a year before I was able to collect my panels, seats, etc. I'm happy with the result a very happy with the total costs.

I bought hood material from a whole supplier and took the old hood and the new material to a local caravan and tent shop. A local tent maker made me a bespoke hood. I built the s/screens myself (twice, I wasn't too happy with the first result). For building the s/screens I bought a used industrial sewing machine (Adler) from eBay. Solt that thing last month on eBay again for the same money I payed!

Menno

I'm about to start on the interior trim on my long door TR2 and need to replace all of the carpet and trim (inc. dashboard) as the majority of it has been destroyed over the years.

I'd rather spend a bit more and have a good quality, well fitting set. I have all the catalogs, however before I straight to Moss or similar, can anybody recommend a supplier?

Thanks

Devs

I got mine from The Roadster Factory and they were great. good quality, and they fit very nice into my TR3a.

-Tom Lee

59 TR3a