Swedish Triumph TR6 1973 PI Project

Hello,

My name is Axel, I'm 19 years old and I live in Sweden. In 1975 my father bought a Triumph tr6 french blue PI with OD that he used as his main car (summertime only) untill 1989 when I was born and it was put into a garage.

When I got my driving license last year I fired it up, changed a few parts inkluding all fluids oils etc. and it was ready to go (what a car!), at least for a while.

Later that proven not to be the case and this winter I'm performing an engine rebuilt because the compression was low on one cylinder and it very slowely mixed water into the oil. The car is also getting repainted this winter and I will be refurbishing the interior too.

My father has not really got the time for fixing the car, me myself I've got a 1966 ford mustang that I'm restoring and havn't really got the time either but I still aim to get the Triumph ready for next summer so that me and my father can enjoy it.

The TR6

Westcoast of Sweden last summer

5xkadw.jpg

On the way to the westcoast, 3 AM, me and my friend

xol6xi.jpg

My mustang

Rear end almost done

29kz9k1.jpg

Engine compartement

15q2lhu.jpg

My plan with this thread on this forum (that by the way seems extreamly good) is to get comments on my work and help from people that know alot more about these cars then I do. Hopefully all readers will also enjoy to look at the pictures of my progress.

A couple of days ago the paintshop called me, they are now ready to paint the car but need to know what colors to paint it in. Ofcourse we want the car to have its original colors so I now wonder if someone out there knows the colorcode for the French blue and perhaps knows what kind of black the rear should be painted into. If anyone have the answer to these questions we would be very gratefull for your replys.

To be continued

Best Regards Axel and Lars

Hi Axel and Lars,

First of all Welcome to this great club of ours and of course the Forum.

In the Moss book, French Blue is listed as (126) Touch up CCBU126 1973-74.No doubt someone will come up with the correct modern code.Keep us posted with the restoration.

By the way,my Nephew is called Lars and he is a Norwegian American living upstate New York.

Hope you can make it to our TR Register International as there is a growing band of Yoof Club members that know how to party and you will feel at home.I am not in this age group I am afraid but only inside my head and that is what keeps me young in outlook.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :P

Welcome to the Forum Axel.

According to the BL bible, the paint code for French Blue is 126 & should be stamped on the commission plate. I’m not sure if it means that much these days as your paint factor may not have access to the original shade mixing charts & it could be meaningless in any case (as I found) because the paint constituents are not the same as they originally were; I’m not sure if there is an associated RAL or DIN code but I’m sure others will advise.

Many of the major paint factors in the UK now use a spectrum analyser which will match the colour precisely. A good alternative is the old fashioned “eyeball analyser” & an experienced paint shop will get as close as matters. My car is Damson & the original chart mix was way off so they matched it with the “eyeball analyser” & it was then very accurate. The trick is to make sure you buy enough paint to finish the car & have, say, at least ½ litre left over.

There is no specific colour code for the black; this has come up on the forum before with various solutions but I think most agree it’s just satin black paint.

Harry beat me to it with a code as well!

Edited by Richard Crawley

Welcome to you both and a special hello to your father who must have done an excellent job in storing your 6. As after 19 years storage all it needed was a fluid change and service to put back on the road is some achievment. Well done that man!

Stuart.

Welcome to you both and a special hello to your father who must have done an excellent job in storing your 6. As after 19 years storage all it needed was a fluid change and service to put back on the road is some achievment. Well done that man!

Stuart.

Yes indeed, how nice that you young 'Hot Rodders' are interested in a 'Classic' old British Sports car! My 3 sons, in their 20's and 30's, all hate my TR6, and refer to it as "Dads old car"! I remember going to pick up one of them up from school one glorious summers day, and he hid behind parked cars so he wouldn't be seen by his school mates in it!

Your painters should match their paint to an area under the bonnet or dash where the sun hasn't faded it. Also dont let them paint the back panel gloss (uck!) or even matt black! It should be a nice non reflective satin black, with a slight sheen.

My 3 sons, in their 20's and 30's, all hate my TR6, and refer to it as "Dads old car"! I remember going to pick up one of them up from school one glorious summers day, and he hid behind parked cars so he wouldn't be seen by his school mates in it!

My “other” pride & joy used to be a Mk 2, silver, 3 litre Capri & my daughters used to do exactly the same, they absolutely hated it & were a lot more expletive :blink: I’m surprised to hear the same attitude about the 6, especially from boys; my daughters are now mid/late 20’s but they would absolutely love it although their respective partners are luke warm (poosibly just being nice!); girls obviously have more taste! :lol:

............... my daughters used to do exactly the same, they absolutely hated it & were a lot more expletive :blink: I’m surprised to hear the same attitude about the 6,

After years of being delivered to school, unbuckling full harness seatbelts and climbing down from my 'full bore' and usually mud caked off roader, I thought I would give my Daughter a treat by transporting her in my 6 when I first got it. She seemed happy until we got to school when she joined a group of friends and I overheard her saying.........Oh I know, its just sooooo embarrassing!!! :lol:

I got the same reaction from my Grandaughter (now 13)when I used to pick her up from junior school in my TR5.My Daughter

had her first drive in my TR5 last year in May in a Treasure hunt organised by Bob and Carol Grou.Guess who was in the passenger seat?.Yes that is right ,my Grandaughter and because Mum was driving the TR5 it suddenly became 'cool'.When faced with the choice of getting back in the Euro box,my Grandaughter insisted she wanted to stay in Jas(her nickname) with her Mum and enjoy the rest of the day driving in the TR5(my baby).

So they can be swayed in suttle ways.I would love my Daughter to drive Jas as much as she can as I did not build just for me and it is hers to drive anytime she likes.Maybe later on our Grandaughter will drive her or me(could be down to the pub) and enjoy.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :P:P

A few years ago I had an immaculate Mercedes 500SL (1982), with lots of shiny chrome.

I picked my daughter (aged about 16) up from her school in it one day with the hood down and she likewise complained that she had never been "sooo...embarassed".

Apparently one of her mates spotted me driving through the gate and said "Look at that pimp in his flash motor" or words to that effect and she had to admit it was her dad.

Thereafter the car was always referred to a my pimp's car.

Now 10 years later, she now has a friend who has a white 350SL and thinks its cool driving around in it with the hood down.

Ian

Welcome. Good to see someone enjoying their car. When I was your age, my first car was from 1935, and seemed as old as your TR must seem to you. I hope you have much pleasure from it this summer.

And nice looking Mustang - the Mk I was the best. :P

Ivor

thanks for all the nice replies and for the color codes.

Regarding my entire generation I don't know what to say, I can only speak for myself and I know that I would have loved and would even still enjoy having my father picking me up in the 6.

But then I might not be the stereotyphe of my generation. I got my first motorbike when I was 7 (50cc piaggio), my first car when I was 10 (roofless Lada Niva, roof whas cut of after the car had rolled over on my birthdate by my uncle) and I have by now owned 9 vehicules where as 7 of them have been or are road legal.

I really enjoy the garage work and I believe that the "travel" is a big part of the fun of "the trip" (owning a car). As the mechanical work is important for me I started looking at older cars already from the beginning. It is not only the mechanical part that I find attractive with these old/middle aged cars (1960 - 1980), they also have designes and looks and not to forget sounds that very few of modern cars are able to beat! That is the main motivations for my love to classics.

Can me and my father join the TR Register?

I really wish to take the TR6 on a roadtrip to GB next summer, which carmeets should I have in mind when scheduling the trip?

Best Regards Axel

Edited by Axel
thanks for all the nice replies and for the color codes.

Regarding my entire generation I don't know what to say, I can only speak for myself and I know that I would have loved and would even still enjoy having my father picking me up in the 6.

But then I might not be the stereotyphe of my generation. I got my first motorbike when I was 7 (50cc piaggio), my first car when I was 10 (roofless Lada Niva, roof whas cut of after the car had rolled over on my birthdate by my uncle) and I have by now owned 9 vehicules where as 7 of them have been or are road legal.

I really enjoy the garage work and I believe that the "travel" is a big part of the fun of "the trip" (owning a car). As the mechanical work is important for me I started looking at older cars already from the beginning. It is not only the mechanical part that I find attractive with these old/middle aged cars (1960 - 1980), they also have designes and looks and not to forget sounds that very few of modern cars are able to beat! That is the main motivations for my love to classics.

Can me and my father join the TR Register?

I really wish to take the TR6 on a roadtrip to GB next summer, which carmeets should I have in mind when scheduling the trip?

Best Regards Axel

Hi Axel, that is a great attitude and outlook that you have there and my feeling is that the appeal of these cars should transcend generations as they capture the essence of the British sports car and as you know they are very simple basic machines and few tasks are beyond the home mechanic with a few tools and that includes taking the body off the chassis. Teenagers are the same the world over and I wouldnt be surprised if the expressions of embarrassment are due to being seen with the parent and not with the old car !.

The TR Register does have family membership for just 2 GBP for each additional family member:

Rates:

Current rates

(from 1/3/08) are:

£39 UK and EC members (including BFPO addresses)

£45 other overseas members

£2 each family member

£2 joining or re-joining fee

I may have mentioned previously that the magazine alone is worth the membership cost. If you are familiar with other club magazines it is nothing like that. Think high quality commercial level content and publication.

The home page has a link to the list of the 2009 UK events so you can decide what will work best for you

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/events.htm

The International in Malvern is THE big event and you could do worse than plan for that and have a great time in this very pretty part of England with a large international group of TR enthusiasts and our recently formed Yoof group. Hopefully this link will work or just search FaceBook for "TR Yoof"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.ph...;gid=9111382939

My other favorite would be the TR Register Lakes tour that is usually in September. That is another popular and well attended event in another spectacular part of England. Bring an umbrella.

Our (New England Triumphs) group event will be on July 26 in Brookline, MA if you would like a slightly longer drive...

Stan