TR8 (was LHD)

Found this car - is it genuine?

http://pistonheads.com/sales/633895.htm

Doesn't have PAS? Did all TR8's have PAS, I'm confused on this matter.

Concerned that there is a box where a battery would fit on a TR7 (can't see it on the engine bay picture). A box resides where the Battery would fit on a UK TR7/8.

Just found it here as well. Fitted with SU's not Strombergs (and thus no Filter boxes).

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classi...php/carno/39348

Edited by WildRover

Hi There,

The right hand drive PAS rack was about as common as hens teeth so a lot of the conversions do without - i have never found this to be a problem with my car. I think with this particular car the owner has made up a smart wooden tool box to fit under the bonnet. The strombergs are changed because people prefer them, or more often now fit Holley or Webber carbs although I would like to see the original set up.

If you are worried there are a lot of out here who know about the 8s,

Cheers

Ian

Edited by TR8IAN
Hi There,

The right hand drive PAS rack was about as common as hens teeth so a lot of the conversions do without - i have never found this to be a problem with my car. I think with this particular car the owner has made up a smart wooden tool box to fit under the bonnet. The strombergs are changed because people prefer them, or more often now fit Holley or Webber carbs although I would like to see the original set up.

If you are worried there are a lot of out here who know about the 8s,

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian, I had a spanking new TR7 years ago and had it converted to TR8 spec when it was new. It didn't have PAS and was fine. I was just a little woried about a genuine TR8 running without it.

The conversion I had used Strombergs, but I see this car has the cut down SU's. You are right Offy inlet with Holley double pumper is the way to go. Or Full house Quad Webers. :)

Finally, I'm keen to see the car, have you seen it and does it look as good as the photos make out?

My old TR8 (TR7 V8) - PSE 944W was alive the last time I checked BTW!

Edited by WildRover

Hi,

I not sure if I have seen this one in the flesh or not, but I have seen pictures that looked good - though this is no reccomendation and I really do think that you should get to see the car properly.

One other thing that you can check to confirm that it is a real 8 is the VIN number - T= Triumph P=TR7/8 A=UK or Europe V= USA (federal) Z=California L=Canada E=Coupe D=Convertible J=2litre V=3.5 litre

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ian

Hi,

I not sure if I have seen this one in the flesh or not, but I have seen pictures that looked good - though this is no reccomendation and I really do think that you should get to see the car properly.

One other thing that you can check to confirm that it is a real 8 is the VIN number - T= Triumph P=TR7/8 A=UK or Europe V= USA (federal) Z=California L=Canada E=Coupe D=Convertible J=2litre V=3.5 litre

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ian

I agree, very good advice. I was going to ask him for the VIN, but haven't gotten around to it. Knowing my luck it will be sold by then.

I see the TR Drivers Club have a good analysis of this info too. Notice there are two TR8's for sale there a LHD and RHD Auto.

I know the above car quite well, it was sold by its long term owner at Stoneleigh last year, it has been smartened up quite a lot since then but as Ian says quite a few LHD to RHD converted cars used manual racks(including my own ACN 1080)

I might add that I think it is a bit overpriced bearing in mind its condition and lack of power rack.

It is however a good usable car which needs very little work.

Edited by chris turner
I know the above car quite well, it was sold by its long term owner at Stoneleigh last year, it has been smartened up quite a lot since then but as Ian says quite a few LHD to RHD converted cars used manual racks(including my own ACN 1080)

I might add that I think it is a bit overpriced bearing in mind its condition and lack of power rack.

Appreciate all the comments. I think £9k is far too steep myself, especially in this market place.

Condition, without seeing it I can't judge - are you saying its not as good as suggested? As Ian says though it needs to be inspected by a possible purchaser, before making a final judgement.

Wildrover,

I would strongly recommend you look at this car and the other two you have spotted and decide if you want a genuine TR8 setup or a alternatively go for a modified one. The problem will be people will look at this TR8 and assume its a nice V8 Conversion and not original, not all will be checking out the vin no.

Especially considering the outlay of money, check them all.

Again I have seen this TR8 at stoneleighly, which the previous ownership was selling due to lack of use but did need some TLC which the buyer looks like hes done.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I will check them out.

On the TR Drivers Club site: The Auto original RHD "8" is the only one of the others worth a look. The other one looks as though it needs a lot of work.

I don't know if you guys can say - but what needed doing and has been done on the TR8 that I started the thread with?

Off topic - I have to say the "8" I had many moons ago was fitted with a hot cam 214, AP 4 pots & Bilsteins and was on eof the best cars I've ever owned. If you were in a mind you could lay ruuber for 50 yards plus.

Hope I can find something at a sensible price, but I've something else being delivered in Oct 2009 that will be very fast - hence the Avatar.

Edited by WildRover

Hi Ian,

no aspersions cast on your own knowledge ! :D

I have a little knowledge of TR8s and 7V8s, and I'm well aware that both Chris and Richard have rather more data at their disposal than most of us . . .

Hi WildRover,

it's always helpful to suss out what you can about a car for sale.

Discussion on Forum about someone else's car for sale is all well and good, within reasonable limits, but it's a bit presumptuous to ask too much by way of detailed opinion. It may well be that some contributors have seen the car regularly in the past, or know something of its history - but perhaps rather less likely that many (or indeed any) of us have examined the car in detail since it's had recent work done. There's something of a fine line here !!

I know I'd be pretty damn cross if individuals started offering detailed opinions about a car I was selling, unless that is they'd had the opportunity to examine it properly first . . .

Sure we can all offer generalised observations, and photos can be helpful in this respect, but there's no substitute for an examination by someone who knows the particular model in question.

Cheers,

Alec

Alec,

I know you've been into TR's for a long period. I think I recognise the name from the early eighties when I was involved.

But, why have a forum if you can't make a discussion? If you can't ask a simple question or try to attempt to obtain information about a car especially when the asking price for a 30 year old car is £9k what is the point? £9k BTW is far more than what the car sold for back in 1981 - did you know that?

In short stay cross - if yours were for sale I'd ask the same questions. Money is money.

I know Bert Smeets And Steve Rockinghams cars have fanatstic examples of the TR7 V8 and I know Bert would offer help if he saw the post.

In summary I would like to thank Ian, Chris and Jim for their honest points of view and guidance. These guys know what they are talking about where TR8's and current car for sale are concerned and its very much appreciated.

I should say if the cars weren't 30 years old and only 5, I'm sure we could all make easier decisions. But at this age, reimported and several owners later and serious money being asked decisions are not easy. :)

Edited by WildRover

Hello again WildRover,

It's Xmas, keep your hair on, no one is trying to rattle your cage ;):D

I couldn't agree more, £9K is a lot of dosh for a Wedge in the current economic climate. In more general classic car terms, however, many would argue that it's far from serious money . . . . And to be fair, even back in '81 the odd genuine TR8s in the UK were fetching that, and more, in pounds that bought rather more bricks and mortar than they do today ! Yes, I appreciate that's another story from the US list price in $s.

Fear not, I'm not cross, it's not my car under discussion - and I'm not taking any umbrage :rolleyes:

The point that really concerns me is a little different. This Forum enjoys a relatively unfettered administrative regime - in contrast to many other car club forums. Sadly, too many car forums have suffered from litiginous attitudes, actual or perceived. I'd suggest that many of us reading these threads would agree that discussion about suppliers of cars, parts or services, and the quality thereof, are reasonable topics for discussion ? Regardless of whether those suppliers are commercial interests or private individuals ? Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way - and the world isn't exactly short of underemployed lawyers willing to take up cudgels on behalf of the supposedly affronted . . . . hence the curtailment of some car forums in recent years.

In other words, we have to tread carefully on occasion . . . at least in public postings. Bearing in mind that much of this forum is visible to Joe Public worldwide, rather than being restricted to members only. Whatever discussions might take place by PM, email or phone are another matter entirely of course. Then again, it's one thing for blokes like Chris Turner and yours truly to post under our own names - with the ability, experience and wherewithal to defend our opinions in a civil court if necessary. Not everyone is so fortunate, and most classic car clubs aren't either.

So please don't get ruffled, that's not the intention - no one is trying to make your purchasing decisions harder than they need be. I'm just suggesting that on occasion a degree of discretion and reading between lines can be appropriate . . . . and I'm sure that all contributors on here are happy to answer PMs and emails ! ;)

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Wild,

If you get the chance take a trip to the Triumph day at Stoneleigh in February ( i think) where you will be able to meet up and pick the brains of most of the clubs.

Cheers

Ian

Brian and Chris,

Thanks for confirming the correct date for Stoneleigh - too much "Nelsons Blood" (local beer) and a Lemsip made me forget all sorts of important things!

Cheers

Ian