Dashboard crash pads

Have just got to the stage of refitting the dashboard and decided to replace the lower crash pads. Unfortunately TR Shop only have one RH in stock of the original type, no LH ones, only the rubber versions which are not what I want to fit. Has anyone found alternative suppliers of as original parts? Or solved the problem by re-covering the originals?

After some advice on this very forum, I ordered mine ...in the USA, at The Roadster Factory. The quality/fitting is actually very good, much better than what you would find on this side of the Atlantic... [edit: talking about remanufactured ones, not original]

Edited by Brett

I bought a NOS original l/h crash pad for my 6 in about 2006 from a well known member who restored a pre production car X754? or X755?? and he has or had a stash of NOS parts.

It was on ebay and I won it for £50 inc p/p,,,considering the price of the repro's I think I got a bargain!

Been fishing on ebay ever since for rare NOS and s/h parts but ive never spotted another since!!

Carl at TR Trader came up with a near mint original 'H' frame for me,so its well worth giving him a bell!!

Send an email to every owner of s/h parts you know,listing your needs and you may strike lucky!!

Good hunting!

Lynda's TR4A has the later (TR5/TR6?) crash pads fitted by the previous owner and, when I'm driving, Lynda always complains about the lack of grab handle which should be there. In an attempt to prevent her pulling the door handle off, I've been contemplating fitting my spare chrome TR3A grab handle.

Whilst originality is not a major consideration and notwithstanding the aesthetics, this would spoil a perfectly good crash pad, so perhaps the Roadster Factory may be getting a little more UK business. Shame about the exchange rate and I've also had problems being hit for duty and VAT on items from the US which puts me off. Having a parcel held as ransome by the Post Office for payment which can be as much as the item is worth is not good for my blood pressure.

Why can't we get these (and similar problem parts) replicated or refurbished in the car's country of origin? :(

and I've also had problems being hit for duty and VAT on items from the US which puts me off. Having a parcel held as ransome by the Post Office for payment which can be as much as the item is worth is not good for my blood pressure.

Hi Brian

In my previous working life, I was heavily involved with International Mail operations for my employer, The Post Office; the very last project I did was to build a new International Mail centre at Coventry Airport which is now the single major route for the import & export of parcel mail.

The payment of duty & VAT on import mail has absolutely nothing at all to do with the Post Office, it’s all down to Customs & Excise. They have their own accommodation at the centre which we had to provide & pay to equip. P/F are also saddled with segregation & handling all the mail except the actual inspection by Customs; P/F also have to undertake all the administration, collection of fees & the provision of a very expensive IT system to run it all & they get absolutely sod all payment for any of it; in fact it costs the business a lot of money. I can understand your frustration but felt I just had to comment as it was/is a complete PITA for P/F as a business as well. :angry:

All countries require the payment of local tax & import duty so it’s not something unique to the UK but if you’re ordering stuff from abroad for personal import, the company your dealing with should be able ship it less any duty & tax that is payable in the country of origin so you shouldn’t have to pay twice. I suspect where these payments are made to suppliers, they don’t actually end up with the sending countries tax authorities! :unsure:

Edited by Richard Crawley
Can I ask why the 'Rubber' Type crash pads are not in favour. It's a new area to me.

Cheers

Tony

Because they look and feel awful :( and dont match anything else.

Stuart.

Because they look and feel awful and dont match anything else.

Stuart.

I'll second that! Richard

Thats why I waited until an original one came up! rather a few period splits than a mismatch!

I didnt want to have to replace the whole black dash area to make it match either!! :blink:

Edited by PILKIE
Or solved the problem by re-covering the originals?

I did manage to do this, as I wanted something closer to the original grain

than the replacements (that was when they were available).

The only material I found that was close to the original grain was hood material.

Not known for its readiness to stretch into a new shape.

I did manage, including re-profiling the front edge of the padding that had

disintegrated, and many years later, they are still good.

AlanR

Have just got to the stage of refitting the dashboard and decided to replace the lower crash pads. Unfortunately TR Shop only have one RH in stock of the original type, no LH ones, only the rubber versions which are not what I want to fit. Has anyone found alternative suppliers of as original parts? Or solved the problem by re-covering the originals?

Thanks to all who replied, especially to the specific question! I've rung round without much success. Well actually, without any success. Roadster factory only seem to show one side listed. I've ordered the covering vinyl from John Skinner and plan to have a go myself. They did warn me it's tricky because of the curved shape of the pads. The material is the same as used elsewhere (inside the rear window) so should look close to original.