wiper parking

I've done a search but cannot find exact answer.

Can anyone tell me how to do the fix to make a wiper motor park properly. I was told years ago but can't remember how. I seem to remeber something about turning a brass bar round the other way?? I thought I'd ask before taking it apart.

Many thanks

A timely question - I was only thinking about this today as mine settle about 20 degrees too high. I don't drive in the rain so its not a huge problem, but something I need to fix. I too eagerly await the replies.

Hi Chilly,

if your wiper motor is similar to a 4A then the adjustment is made in the cap of the wiper motor. There is a wire coming out of the cap. This has 3 screws clamping

it down. Slacken the screws and rotate the cap.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi chilly

If your remove the wiper arms temporarily and replace them with cardboard pointers/arrows you can "experiment" with the "park position" safely.

If you " over cook it " ,the arms tip over the windscreen edge or clash with each other.You have to move quickly to switch off the wiper to prevent

damage.

If there is a discreptancy between the position of both arms ,it simply means that someone has previously removed one of the arms and not put them back in alignment.Lift off the incorrect arm from the spindle, rotate and push it back on the spindle.

Bob

There may be 2 different problems here; Stallie’s problems would appear merely that the wiper arms have been incorrectly fitted onto the splines & adjustment just needs the arms refitted further around. Chilly’s problem may be the same but, if not, the 6 self park is not adjustable as described in Roger’s post; it’s fixed for either left or right hand drive & governed by the position of the nylon cam on the internal gear wheel; this wont change unless the wiper mechanism has been reassembled incorrectly or the car’s converted L/H – R/H drive.

If the wipers stop immediately you turn the switchoff, the run on circuit is not working for some reason. One of the wiper cables to the wiper motor carries a permanent live which keeps the motor running after you turn off the dashboard switch. There is a cam on the underside gear wheel which operates a contact/limit switch, breaking the current, stopping the motor & parking the wipers. I don’t recognise the brass bar your referring to, the correct TR6 motor does not have an adjustable park stop, only the cam as I explained; I have attached a couple of diagrams from the manual. Has the problem always been there or has it just developed? It could be the limit switch inside the motor has failed.

wiperpark2.jpg

wiperpark.jpg

Here are some pages from my Lucas Technical traning booklet.

Hope this will help.

Regards John

I have the same (non parking) issue on my 5, however the motor is different. Its rectangular and not round. Is the problem likely to be the same and whats the fix ?. Apart from parking the wipers work fine at single speed

I have the same (non parking) issue on my 5, however the motor is different. Its rectangular and not round. Is the problem likely to be the same and whats the fix ?. Apart from parking the wipers work fine at single speed

Robin that will be an original TR4 type if it is single speed with just three wires as TR4a and 5 should have two speed motors with 4 wires, and that has the park contact with a single red wire on the circular housing protruding from the long flat plate where the drive is. Quite often its just the contacts that need cleaning up. The park position is altered by turning the circular housing to actate the switch in the correct position.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I'm not sure if any of the TR6 models were fitted with the same wiper motor as the Stag, but a common problem with the Stag is the tab on the end of the worm drive which operates the limit switch (as mentioned in Richard's post above). The metal tab cracks allowing it to flex and then it doesn't activate the limit switch. It's easy to check - take the top cover off the motor assembly and give the tab a gentle tug to see if it's detached anywhere.

Edited by badshead
Robin that will be an original TR4 type if it is single speed with just three wires as TR4a and 5 should have two speed motors with 4 wires, and that has the park contact with a single red wire on the circular housing protruding from the long flat plate where the drive is. Quite often its just the contacts that need cleaning up. The park position is altered by turning the circular housing to actate the switch in the correct position.

Stuart.

Stuart

thanks, I will have a peek and see what I can do. But are you saying my 5 has the wrong motor ?, and if so is the 6 one better given its 2 speed, or should I stay with what I've got. ?

Thanks again

Stuart

thanks, I will have a peek and see what I can do. But are you saying my 5 has the wrong motor ?, and if so is the 6 one better given its 2 speed, or should I stay with what I've got. ?

Thanks again

Robin the 5s had two speed DR3 as standard but the motors are very expensive to buy now unless you are very lucky.

The TR6 one will fit and are cheap to buy in comparison, but you need to fabricate a bracket for it and the wiring (plug) is slightly different. Are you sure that you only have a single speed motor? How many wires do you have going into the motor ? Does your switch have two positions as the two speed switch is normally wired for fast on first position and slow on second position and the switches can be a bit temperamental and only give one speed..

Stuart

Robin the 5s had two speed DR3 as standard but the motors are very expensive to buy now unless you are very lucky.

The TR6 one will fit and are cheap to buy in comparison, but you need to fabricate a bracket for it and the wiring (plug) is slightly different. Are you sure that you only have a single speed motor? How many wires do you have going into the motor ? Does your switch have two positions as the two speed switch is normally wired for fast on first position and slow on second position and the switches can be a bit temperamental and only give one speed..

Stuart

The car is at a mates as my garage is being rebuilt. Its rectangular body not the cylindrical one on other Tr's. The switch has three wires and may have 2 positions, its a bit dicky so I have never been sure if its a 2 speed or just a old and tired switch. As I've said the wipers work with the first position and a reasonable speed. Are there any telltale signs as to what motor etc it is like a model number etc. I can check the car this weekend if that helps. In any event thanks for the inputs.