Creaking Surrey

Hi All,

Just put on the alloy Surrey top for the winter & it is creaking on the awful surfaced roads around here.

Is a creaking Surrey normal or does anybody have any miracle cure! Fitted with the normal 2 bolts at the front & 2 screws/bolts at the rear. Seems worse than I remember from last year!

Regards,

Monty.

Monty,

Even assuming the front bolts and rear hand tightened bolts are fully

home the tr structure will ,from my experience on the poorly maintained

roads of Torbay, creak at times, just make sure the bolts are tight as possible,

best,

Laurence

Hi All,

Just put on the alloy Surrey top for the winter & it is creaking on the awful surfaced roads around here.

Is a creaking Surrey normal or does anybody have any miracle cure! Fitted with the normal 2 bolts at the front & 2 screws/bolts at the rear. Seems worse than I remember from last year!

Regards,

Monty.

crank up the volume on your radio :lol:

Make sure that your front and rear seals are in good condition and fitted in the correct place and also put some copperslip around the shanks and under the contact head of the fixing bolts. Check all round to ensure there is no metal to metal contact as well. Be careful not to overtighten the bolts as its possible to pull the captive inserts down and then you will be right in the sh*t.

Stuart.

Is a creaking Surrey normal ?

Not really. Going over a curb at low speed with one wheel at a time might make it protest ( or maybe not ) so I'd go with Stuart's advice and then don't overtighten. For years I would only tighten mine by hand using a socket and extension and whatever torque I could apply by twisting the extension. I've since tightened them moderately with a ratchet and don't hear any creaks. I use rubber washers in the rear and all other seals where original.

One thing I haven't figured out is how the distance piece is used on the front - it seems to foul the capping piece every which way I tried it :unsure:

Hi Monty

The creaking does reocurr over time and nipping the bolts and wing type nuts on the hard top periodically is the key.

We do twenty miles a day, every day and I find myself automatically just nipping the attachments up, more especially the hard top to rear screen fixings and I can usually get a slight tighten on them which stops the creaking immediately.

Another rattling noise which I lived with for a long time before investigating was the captive nut plates for the hood frame, behind the trim next to the B posts. Thought it was the door lock mechanism rattling initially but further investigation revealed the former.

Best

Darren

If the top of the window glass touches the metal lid, you will get a rattle when driving over bumps. For this reason, I always drop the passenger-side window a fraction when driving the car - my driver's window is always open to some extent.

Ian Cornish

Hi Monty

The creaking does reocurr over time and nipping the bolts and wing type nuts on the hard top periodically is the key.

We do twenty miles a day, every day and I find myself automatically just nipping the attachments up, more especially the hard top to rear screen fixings and I can usually get a slight tighten on them which stops the creaking immediately.

Another rattling noise which I lived with for a long time before investigating was the captive nut plates for the hood frame, behind the trim next to the B posts. Thought it was the door lock mechanism rattling initially but further investigation revealed the former.

Best

Darren

Darren,

Thanks, now I know where my rattling is coming from.....

Cheers.

Richard.

Hi Monty

Best

Darren

Many thanks to you all. My creaking is from the Surrey roof where it attaches to the rear window. I have re-tightened the nuts here & will see if that makes a difference. I have also put a strip of thin foam rubber between the top & window to see if that helps.

Dazzer, can you enlarge your comments regarding the rattle you had with the plates behind the trim? What do I need to do?

Regards,

Monty.

Hi Guys

Sorry been away a few days. However with reference to rattles and creaks this is my experience.

The main rattle, which was horrific, turned out to be the captive plates, hidden behind the B Post trim next to your right lug hole (Right hand drive) or left lug hole (state side) . My cure however was a little hurried (bodge).

I've never fitted the hood frame so don't know how that works, I would presume a bolt fastens into the captive plates and keeps them stationary. I didn't have any bolts so I grabbed some blue tack from the home office and pushed it into the captive plates and replaced the B post trim!... absolute silence... wonderful.

Three thousand miles later its still silent. Ideally I would advise obtaining the correct bolts and fastening those plates down. However, the blue tack worked for me.

I would also add I do use pliers to get an extra nip on the hard top wing nuts to stop the creaking from time to time, not to over tighten but just to get that extra purchase in eliminating the creaks.

Hope this helps

All the best

Dazzer