CHASSIS NUMBER STAMPED OR NOT

Hello,

I would like to know if some TR5 (UK or not UK) chassis have a "chassis number" stamped on it (near lower wishbone bracket right side) and if so, what is indicated.

Some french TR5 have such a chassis number stamped (with CP ...) and other nothing at all.

Bill Piggot write that some TR (2...7) can have such a chassis number stamped by chassis manufacturer (but not by Standard Triumph), so these chassis numbers, when they exist, have no correspondance with commission plate or body number which identify our cars.

A friend of mine who worked for a long time with Moss and restored chassis said that nobody was concerned by chassis number when restoring or changing it.

The fact that some french chassis have a CP... number would suggere Standard triumph stamped them (not the manufacturer) so ...

Info wellcome

Great thanks

Hi BIO....

On my recently acquired CKD TR5, there is a stamped number on the right suspension upright. The stamped number corresponds to the VIN number (CPXXX). Based on information provided by Roger Ferris, this was standard practice on the CKD cars. Having owned multiple TR250's I have never seen this stamp on those cars.

Best of luck...

CKD cars assembled at Malines in Belgium have their chassis numbers stamped on the rear right lower front suspension bracket top and usually in the case of TR5s start 1CP and end in LP and apparently some TR6s have similar stampings The only other numbers that appear on the chassis normally are the spot welded tag on the top of the front cross member which is a single letter and a single number that know one seems to know what it signifies.

Stuart.

Hi,

Thank you for your info.

Does anyone know if all european TR5 (except UK) were CKD ?

Lionel

Not all of them. The factory built LHD cars for Scandinavia, Switzerland and several other markets, also for personal export as well.

Stuart.

Hi BIO....

On my recently acquired CKD TR5, there is a stamped number on the right suspension upright. The stamped number corresponds to the VIN number (CPXXX). Based on information provided by Roger Ferris, this was standard practice on the CKD cars. Having owned multiple TR250's I have never seen this stamp on those cars.

Best of luck...

In France it was a mandatory requirement to have the vin number stamped into the chassis in the 60s and it still is. A check on this is part of the french roadworthy test, the Controle technique, the french equivalent of the british MOT

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog
  • 2 weeks later...
In France it was a mandatory requirement to have the vin number stamped into the chassis in the 60s and it still is. A check on this is part of the french roadworthy test, the Controle technique, the french equivalent of the british MOT

Alan

<_< Hi Alan,

I own about 25 Triumph, most are "originally" (CKD from Belgium) french, and some have never been stamped at all, CKD or not.

Some of these "unmarked" cars are in my ownership (or known by me) since a time long enough to be sure that the chassis are the originals ones.

Strangely, some Triumph have an "hidden" number, that I have discover AFTER a complete strip down AND sandblasting.

Cheers,

Chris.

Yes Chris, I have the impression that the stamping was done in Mechelen (Malines) before the cars were assembled. There was no rule about the location of the stamping and it was probably only performed on cars that were exported to markets where it was required by law. As I moved around in Europe my TR6 was exported to several countries and it was only after about 25 years of ownership that I discovered the number as it was burried under grease and dirt. Prior investigation about the chassis number via dealers were unsuccessfull, and this caused quite some problems when I applied for registration :(