Honeybourne Hardtop

no holes to drill

when i fit mine i lift it onto car.

fit front 2 windscreen bolts loose.take care not to x thread. if you do x thread

when you try unscrew, the captive nut will come loose and spin round?

fit rear 2 bolts down into rear deck

if you cant get the bolts in you might have to adjust the screen.

tighten front/rear

take care the sloping bits dont touch rear deck. if they

look as if they are going to touch.you need some washers under the rubber

feet. mine dont come near the rear deck.it sits on the rear deck seal.

tighten the b posts down.

dont go mad tightening it down.especially front bolts,

as they are fine thread and you can really put some pressure on.

i cant take any pics, as it off the car while i enjoy all this sunshine.

i would love a copy of the proper fitting instructions if any one has any.

richard

Cheers for the info.

I've contacted Derek (saffrontr) who is emailing me the fitting instructions, if you let me know your email address I'll forward them on to you as well.

PS: Guy: is your luggage rack listed on Moss or Rimmer Bros?

Mark,

Have a read of this thread, seems pim had some problems with squareness off rack , certainly worth checking with supplier that the rack is sqyare. <_<

Mine is at least ten years old , i cant recall where i got it, could even off been Revington, but they probably come from the same source anyway.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....&hl=luggage

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Mark,

Have a read of this thread, seems pim had some problems with squareness off rack , certainly worth checking with supplier that the rack is sqyare. <_<

Mine is at least ten years old , i cant recall where i got it, could even off been Revington, but they probably come from the same source anyway.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....&hl=luggage

And you wont need to drill holes in body.

Cheers

Guy

I might just treat myself to one of those for my b'day! No holes to drill FANTASTIC...

I presume this is better than ones with wooden slats that might rot?

I might just treat myself to one of those for my b'day! No holes to drill FANTASTIC...

I presume this is better than ones with wooden slats that might rot?

Sorry, to fit luggage rack you will need to drill holes. I would only fit one of these if you intend to use it, thats why mine was done years back. Ones its on its on.

I was refering to hardtop, didnt put that very clearly <_<

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
HI Mark,

To reinforce what Noel has said, i find that with a factory hardtop the car is a different animal, great fun. With mine i applied a layer of sound proof type insulaton under the headlining, this retains the heat in the car but makes the hardtop feel solid when you tap it on the roof, if you know what i mean.

I have never seen a Honey bourne top, its obviously lighter, and with reference to Derek Grahams excellent and well researched article in TRaction 229, there are issues with attachment.

May be worth while a chat with Ron Sweet as he has one fitted.

Cheers

Guy

Looks nice - but you de realise you are raising the centre of gravity ;)

Not had our on for well over 20 years.

Surrey tops for TR6's - That is So Wrong on many levels............

Looks nice - but you de realise you are raising the centre of gravity ;)

Not had our on for well over 20 years.

Surrey tops for TR6's - That is So Wrong on many levels............

Not to quibble too much, but as to the 1st point....

Anyway, where the TR6 hardtop will never be:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/im...15L9-6-8029.jpg

It's Pimento red now but was originally yellow, not sure which shade. I have been thinking about getting a Heritage certificate not sure what you really get for £56 though?

Hello Mark,

If you search the TR6 pages with the keyword Heritage and look at the thread 'Tony's car as found' and then look at Toney's entry for 16th July you will find he has posted a copy of his Heritage Cert. Sorry I can't post the link here as I am not clever enough!

A certificate based on the chassis number is only £37 btw.

Based on a tip from this forum, I have recently sent off to DVLA for copies of all the previous V5s relating to my car. This costs £5 and should prove interesting,,,when it comes.

Yes, I tend to agree. I noticed that my certificate says 105 bhp... I thought it was supposed to be 150 bhp? Can anyone clue me in?.

cheers

Tony

I'm sure those more techy like me will tell you like mine your TR6 will have been upgraded to 150 using an earlier type head...

Tr6's were downgraded bhp wise compared to 5's :-)

Yes, I tend to agree. I noticed that my certificate says 105 bhp... I thought it was supposed to be 150 bhp? Can anyone clue me in?.

cheers

Tony

I wouldn't worry about it Tony, I bet it is just a typo by a dyslexic clerk at BMHT.

I notice that it also says you have a J Type overdrive working on 2nd, 3rd and 4th. In standard form 'J' Types don't work on 2nd so that is just incorrect and I didn't think they were fitted to a '71 car anyway.

Looks like BL Quality Control is alive and well and working at BMHT :D

Mark / Tony,

Not sure what all of this has to do with a Honeybourne hardtop but all CP's were 150 bhp, in fact if the contemporary road tests were to be believed the TR6 had a better 0-60mph than the TR5. If I was you Tony I would ask for my money back with all of the errors noted below on the technical data. I would add that the kerb weight is also slightly different to other published data.

cheers

Derek

I thought all the CP's were 150 bhp or have I got that wrong?

Is going a bit off track on top's

Others finer than me will be able to quote figures, and I note there is already a post that they were 150 and possibly quicker than the 5' o-60.

I was just going by the briefing that my previous owner told me about "UMA's" rebuild getting a TR4 head to boost it's hp back up to 150 as Triumph had reigned the beast back in. I am sure a quick search of this wonderful resource will clarify things.

Back on track, I'm really wishing I had a top... especially as the versatile Surrey. I just wondered if enough TR owners showed an interest, surely some smart wee UK engineering team could rattle up a pattern and sell them at a reasonable price.

I think I better lie down as that took too much brain power and I yipeee I see some blue sky so maybe I'll manage to unleash Thunderbird Six later today... on my Birthday... no dumps please guys ....