Circuit des Remparts, Angouleme

Hi All,

In a moment of impulse i booked a trip to Angouleme

in September and wondered if anyone else was planning

on a visit. If anyone has been in previous years, i would

be interested to hear about there experiences.

It looks like a good drive ,at the right time of year, so i

am hopeful!,

thanks in advance,

Laurence

Hi All,

am hopeful!,

thanks in advance,

Laurence

Hi Laurence,

Nice to see you briefly at the Classic, had a great time at Malvern, shame you couldnt make that .

One member of the Channel Island Group has suggersted a trip to Angouleme, and it looks like a great event.

However we were probably going to plan it in for next year.

Anyway you never know , i wonder if they can be convinced to go this year ?

What your plans ie when are you leaving Uk and returning from the event?

Cheers

Guy

Heres a link to the site http://www.circuit-des-remparts.com/index2-lang-uk.html

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Guy,

Likewise, it was good to see you at the classic!.

My time at the track was a little less than hoped..

, but then i had the lovely Aurelia to consider , to be

fair, she seemed to enjoy the experience!.

Angouleme was just impulse, but any excuse to drive

the 5 on uncluttered roads in France has got to be done!.

The deal is a package trip through a company called Grandstand

Motor sports for five days all in, hopefully should be good!.

Will let you know ,

all the best,

L

Hi All,

am hopeful!,

thanks in advance,

Laurence

Hi Laurence

I went last year and will go again in Sept. GREAT event, the town is crawling with classics and the access to the cars and the paddock is a bonus. The North London group supported Peerless (shameless NLG plug :lol: ) will be there so worth the trip alone after the showing at Le Mans.

Good drive down and great roads locally. The event rally the day before is expensive but gives you VIP parking for the whole week end in the town square which evens it out.

Quite a few UK reg TRs last time, some even racing in addition to Peerless. See you there ?

Race Car

Street Parked

Hi Laurence

I went last year and will go again in Sept. GREAT event, the town is crawling with classics and the access to the cars and the paddock is a bonus. The North London group supported Peerless (shameless NLG plug :lol: ) will be there so worth the trip alone after the showing at Le Mans.

Good drive down and great roads locally. The event rally the day before is expensive but gives you VIP parking for the whole week end in the town square which evens it out.

Quite a few UK reg TRs last time, some even racing in addition to Peerless. See you there ?

Race Car

Street Parked

Hi Mike,

Most definately!, i am now fired up with this event, it might prove to be one of my better impulsive

decisions!.

I was attracted to the drive down to Angouleme, it really is so much better driving the 5 through France

than the cluttered roads here in uk.

Last year ,when i took the 5 to the Stelvio and other wonderful roads in the Dolomites, there was

quite a crowd heading for Angouleme via sunny Portsmouth,so it struck me at the time it would be worth a visit.

Counting the days,best,

Laurence

Hi Mike,

I was attracted to the drive down to Angouleme, it really is so much better driving the 5 through France

than the cluttered roads here in uk.

Laurence

Laurence

I totally agree, and you know what they say, " If haven't got a TR4, a 5 is the next best thing" :lol::lol:

Send me a PM and we can exchange mobile numbers and maybe meet up for a beer on the Sunday?

As I live fairly local (about 50 miles away) I go most years, the event has a great atmosphere, interesting translations and great racing. I have never made it in a classic but will one day (I hope) :lol:

Alan

All things being equal Peter Peerless and his slaves will be there. Fantastic venue, wonderful atmosphere so come and find us just like many people did last time. Really looking forward to it.

Hi Celia & Ian

Looking forward to seeing you guys in Angouleme and will make an effort to insure that, unlike 2007, that I'm not in the bar during your race :lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All,

am hopeful!,

thanks in advance,

Laurence

Laurence/ All

Just finished packing the touring kit in the TR ready for the off on Thursday and wondered if anybody else (other than Laurence and me) is going ?

Let us know if you fancy meeting up :lol:

Hi Guys,

Spare a thought for the Peerless team, plodding steadily down from Suffolk via Dover-Dunkerque to Angouleme . . . can't be much fun hauling the Peerless behind an old LDV Convoy, and camping in a layby en route ! Shoestring motor sport.

Ian will need all the moral support he can get, he's got Celia and the V8 Lady by way of crew :P

Heaven help anyone who isn't out there cheering the Peerless, I wouldn't want to be explaining to Diane why I was in the bar and not watching the race :lol:

Cheers,

Alec

Well the Peerless has made it to Angouleme in one piece, and by this evening's report is backed-up by enough TR old stagers to achieve a Sunday morning total rebuild if needs must !

Meanwhile Kiwifrog is on volunteer standby for any last-minute parts requirements . . . fingers crossed, in the nicest possible way, that the Peerless crew don't have to send him on last-minute panic missions :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

Well the Peerless has made it to Angouleme in one piece, and by this evening's report is backed-up by enough TR old stagers to achieve a Sunday morning total rebuild if needs must !

Meanwhile Kiwifrog is on volunteer standby for any last-minute parts requirements . . . fingers crossed, in the nicest possible way, that the Peerless crew don't have to send him on last-minute panic missions :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

Just made it back from Angouleme, a little over a 1000 mile round trip in the TR, 35mpg, a little oil due to the motorway work, no mechanical problems. very sunny and hot. But on return to Newhaven: RAIN <_< Nice to be back

However, not so good for the Peerless. After an heroic fight to keep the Sabre in the hunt with the busted vertical link found (Thanks to Kiwi I think :D )

Lawrence: I did phone you, my message was ref the spares problem after Celia phoned me knowing I was in town, sorry I missed you.

After that was sorted I thought it would be a good race only to see Ian kiss the Armco in practice and then blow the head gasket :angry: With the solenoid already playing up they decided it wasn't their weekend. However in true sporting fashion their bad luck was the French TR3s good fortune as it was then able to run with Peerless Bits :lol:

There is always next year...............

Peerless, Sabre and hot Herald in Paddock at Angouleme

French TR3 (with Peerless bits)

Due to work I only made it to the races on Sunday but as every year it was a real treat. I am already looking forward to next year and hopefully my TR4 will be on the road by then.

I finally met Ian and Celia and had a good chat, they really are fantastic people, you have to admire them racing on a shoe string, a shame due to a blown head gasket that the car could not race. There were a lot of comments in the stands from both the French and English that they were disappointed that the peerless would not be racing, obviously the the lightning green coupe made a lot of fans over the weekend. Celia said that apart from a problem overheating the car is going really well with the new Engine. I hope they make it again next year.

The Sabre of Mark Jordan managed to race after a brave effort by Ian and Marks mechanic working late into the night on Saturday to replace the vertical link, the pace for the front runners was furious with the Lotus 7 that eventually won the race lapping several of the back markers,Mark was really giving the Sabre some welly but unfortunately due to a bad start he came 9th in the sports car race.

Alan

Peerless, Sabre and hot Herald in Paddock at Angouleme

Wowie! A Herald! Racing!

I've been wanting to do Les Remparts, but always thought that a Herald would not be 'historic' enough.

Would they take a Vitesse next year?

Who do I ask?

John

Wowie! A Herald! Racing!

I've been wanting to do Les Remparts, but always thought that a Herald would not be 'historic' enough.

Would they take a Vitesse next year?

Who do I ask?

John

John

Yes, the Herald was a real crowd pleaser,well out of shape after hitting first left hander after the start finish straight. The sparks were thought to be a trick low chassis but were in fact a broken exhaust :blink:

I'm sure that Celia & ian can supply all the info you need or try http://www.circuit-des-remparts.com/index2-lang-uk.html, which is the official site with contact details. Look forward to seeing you there next year :lol:

Thanks, Mike!

But hmmmmmmmmmm. It's for;

""Vehicles complying with TIA regs and FIA sport code K.

Homologation papers required (Historic Technical Passport)

FIA licence compulsory"

Appendix K I recognise and fear, but how many hoops and how many beer tokens for homologation??

Let alone an FIA licence - is that an International C?

I'll ask Celia.

John

Hi All,

Yes unfortunately we had our problems at Angouleme. Never mind we met all our old friends and supporters and made some more new ones. Peter Peerless is now home and feeling a little sore. Ians' hospital has a bed for him and he will soon be as good as new.

Alan was fantastic providing the vertical link which was needed to match up with the trunion we had to enable Marks' Sabre to race. We normally carry everything but didn't take all spares to Angouleme as it is such a short race. Alan came to watch on Sunday, what a shame the Peerless wasn't able to compete but at least he saw the Sabre racing which wouldn't have done without his help. Thank-you from Mark (Sabre) to all those involved in contacting Alan for him.

Well that's that for this year. No plans as yet for 2009 but we hope to be out and about again. Thank-you all for your super support this year especially the N.L.G. C,I,&P. :D

• 4 weeks later...

:lol: What a fantastic meeting, amazing number of Brits attending this little known meeting, do hope it does not become too crowded as there are only limited viewing areas.

Many thanks to Celia and Ian, it's a long way towing with an LDV ! Riding shotgun with sat nav and map in hand was good fun.

Great little hotel too - thanks to Hogan and the old farts for finding it a few years ago. Not sure who was more surprised to see who was there -

Took loads of photos of the cars and the town. The museum has one of the most fascinating displays of iron age material I have seen outside of the British Museum, it is also a French centre for cartoons on the sides of the buildings Banksy eat your heart out.

I will try and get a link to some sorted.

Edited by V8 Lady

Just like to add that V8 lady was a great shot-gunner and we were very grateful for her help especially avoiding paege!! Also endorse everything that has been said about Angouleme, look forward to the link for the pics! :)