oil cooler - fitting advice

Dear Forum

I have bought an oil cooler kit from Moss plus the spin on conversion kit. I would be grateful for any advice on the Do's and Dont's of installation in particular where and how best to mount the radiator.

Thanks - tjc

Dear Forum

I have bought an oil cooler kit from Moss plus the spin on conversion kit. I would be grateful for any advice on the Do's and Dont's of installation in particular where and how best to mount the radiator.

Thanks - tjc

hope you got a thermostat too....if not the oil will stay too cool unless your using it hard on a track. I just got a retrofit Mocal thermostat as my oil temp gauge hardly got off the bottom stop without.

johnhardly

Dear Forum

Thanks - tjc

tjc

Have to agree with John, unless your racing you don't need one but if its a 'must fit', it needs the thermo. Fast road and even track days in 30deg amb doesn't cause any problems for the 4's ;)

hadn't heard that before Jerry.... mine's fixed rigidly :mellow:

john

Bit like rubber insulating a radiator, a good idea for longevity.

Stuart.

hadn't heard that before Jerry.... mine's fixed rigidly :mellow:

john

Mine cracked as it was rigidly bolted to the chassis (typically it started leaking half way across Germany and not just down the road). A bit of research found that is recommended to mount them on rubber or bendy steel mounts to avoid flexing. I used the baby cotton reels usually used to mount our fuel pumps.

Jerry

Hi,

I assume from the replies so far that you are still wanting suggestions on where to fit your cooler. I fitted mine ('62 TR4) vertically (long side up and down, narrow one side to side) to the left hand (passenger) side of the water radiator. If you have bought the kit you should have some perforated metal strips to use for mounting, this should give enough flexibility to avoid damage. I used the bracket for the top radiator stay and the bottom radiator fixing as my mounting points. The pipes are a bit of a fiddle in this position but I ran mine forward and then back under the cooler to the filter housing. I cut a straight line in the fibreboard shroud and opened the resulting flap to go round the side of the cooler when fitted so it gets its own air flow. As to fitting a thermostat, I didn't. I asked Neil Revington's advice and his reply was that he had never heard of an engine failing from over cooled oil. Modern oils should be capable of dealing with the lower temperature.

Hope this helps

Steve

I have a cooler on my TR6, a legacy of the PO. Like others, I fitted an oil stat. In truth I should probably have removed the cooler as it's a waste of time, and overcooling the oil on a road car leads to condensation and sludging so I think Neil Revington's observation is daft, all respect to the man, but neverthless.. <_<

However, unless the cooler is properly mounted meaning the air is actually ducted to it, or it's fitted bang in front of the water rad and the water rad is ducted, the oil cooler won't do much cooling anyway, as the airflow sees the cooler as a solid mass and just goes round it instead of through it.

So fit it by all means it won't do much harm, although you'll see a drop in oil pressure of course.

TBH, I'd fit an oil temp gauge first, and see if you really need a cooler....

Btw, the spin-on, if you decide to defer fitting the cooler, you must loop together the in & out of the spin-on, don't block them off or bye bye engine...

Ivor

My oil temp gauge starts at 50C, and would only just rise above that on a very long run. With the thermostat just fitted it now reaches half way on the gauge (100C) within a few miles of hard driving but gets no higher. The thermostat should open at 85C apparently. My cooler is mounted behind the 'slot' in the front valance.... I had rubber mounted it, but forgotton (years ago)..... maybe a wire mesh might prevent a stone being thrown through it though?

john