Hi,

I have just spent some time under the bonnet gazing and I thought that I should think about renewing the fan belt, not that its worn more as advanced insurance. The belt is the original wide type with the original type of cooling fan on the extension. When I lookd more closely I found that the extension piece runs about 1/4" above the rack tube. So, how does one change such a fan belt without a dismantaling exercise or is my engine sitting to low for some reason? It doesn't look like a side of the road job anyway.

Thanks

Grahamgl

Jack up the engine enough to slip the belt through, I believe. Tape a spare belt in position , next to the engine, so it will be easier should the old one snap.

Jack up the engine enough to slip the belt through, I believe. Tape a spare belt in position , next to the engine, so it will be easier should the old one snap.

Other alternative is to loosen steering rack. It will move enough to slip new belt through. Better to change to narrow belt conversion.

[slacken one engine mounting so that the nut is just still on, block of wood under the engine, sump, will lift it enough with a trolley jack to allow fitting.

If you carry a spare taped or cable tied to the crossmember to allow roadside replacement, wrap the spare in something clingfilm, foil etc, or it won't be worth fitting.

John.

Or fit a thin belt conversion and never worry about it again, pay £3 a belt instead of £12, preserve the bearings on the water pump and dynamo / water pump ...... etc. ;-)

Loosening the nylocs (dont take them off or the engine will hop out of the mount) and jacking the engine up 10mm is the usual way round it, just hope it doesnt happen by the roadside on a dark wet night.

Regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

This afternoon I noticed my fan belt was torn- after consulting the factory manual and finding no references to the fan belt replacement under the cooling or electrical systems sections I attempted to remove to remove the fan extension without sucess. Tomorrow I will attempt loosening the steering rack....wish me luck

This afternoon I noticed my fan belt was torn- after consulting the factory manual and finding no references to the fan belt replacement under the cooling or electrical systems sections I attempted to remove to remove the fan extension without sucess. Tomorrow I will attempt loosening the steering rack....wish me luck

Dont forget if you have loosend the rack to fit a belt that the mountings (except solid mounts) need to be reset when putting it back together.

Stuart