Got One at Last !!!!!

Hi to you all,

I'm a fairly new member who posted a 'Wanted' ad in the 'For Sale' section some time ago. I was looking for a nice TR5 or TR4A. Well, it became apparent very quickly that a TR5 was out of my budget, and a very nice TR4A was the car to look for ! After a number of journeys I have at last purchased a very nice 1965 TR4A. Finished in Signal Red with black interior (White piping). Fitted with chrome wire wheels. Very nice car, body off restoration in 1990 and only 7000 miles since then. Still looks superb, especially the engine bay. Only downside is the lack of Overdrive, if it is a downside ? Whats your views on no overdrive ? Driving it home was ok, but noticed a droneing noise from the rear of car at about 55 mph. Any ideas ? It could do with a new hood if I was being picky. Can any of you recommend a good supplier of a good fitting hood ? All responces and advice / help most welcome. Looking forward to Malvern.

regards,

kev.w

Kev welcome to the wonderful world of TRing. My 4a doesnt have overdrive either and apart from distance runs (which I dont do very often) I dont really miss it that much and certainly dont have a problem keeping with even overdrive equipped 5s (or come to that Andrew Smiths fairly quick 3a :P ) its all in the way you drive them ;)

Stuart.

...........and certainly dont have a problem keeping with even overdrive equipped 5s (or come to that Andrew Smiths fairly quick 3a :P ) its all in the way you drive them ;) Stuart.

And I thought you said you didn't get out of third Stuart..................... B)

Cheers

Andrew

And I thought you said you didn't get out of third Stuart..................... B)

Cheers

Andrew

Actually I think it was second!! :o

Stuart.

That sounds like the 'Little Nash Rambler' song of yesteryear.

"Beep beep"

Stuart

Kev.

Welcome to the wonderful world of FOUR, sounds like a lucky escape after looking at those 5's :lol:

Hope you have already tied up with your local group who will be your best source of help, advice and support

Overdrive, I just love it and it was the first thing I spec'd when sorting mine, not only does it do all the sensible stuff like reducing revs, noise levels and improving mpg but its also great fun!

The Revs & MPG thing is a crock really as you just drive harder and faster without the warning note of the engine to warn you to slow down :lol::lol:

However, in more restained use you can play tunes on it, and you always have something to play with after you have re-read all the dials, tried to understand that odd noise that wasn't there yesterday and won't be there tomorrow whilst meanwhile doing the mental maths of calculating the gearing ratios of each of your SEVEN forward gears in your head................who needs a radio ;)

For me it was a no brainer

Kev, A very warm welcome to the 4/4A clan. A very sensible choice, and you don't now have to worry about overheating electric fuel pumps, injectors, metering units etc etc. It sounds like you have got a very nice car, and very sensibly went for the condition of the bodywork as prime importance over mechanicals such as overdrive.

I must admit my 4 didn't have overdrive when first restored but I fitted it not long after when I could afford it. All a question of personal preference really as Stuart says. Best suggestion is to try and get a ride or drive in someone with a 4/4a with overdrive and see whether or not you think it's for you. I think a decent restored A type o/d would cost at least £600 now excluding fitting, so not to be taken on lightly.

Hope we see you in the 4/4A parking area at Malvern. Yours will no doubt be the one with the new hood!

Regards

Trevor.

All responces and advice / help most welcome. kev.w

Hi Kev,

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase. As a 6 owner I can't help with your 4 related problems but I do know that when my O/D wasn't working, I certainly missed it.

On a more general point, as you are located "near Southampton" you would do well to join up with the Wessex group who meet on the 4th Tuesday of the month in Lyndhurst. I went to my first meet a couple of days ago and a very friendly bunch they turned out to be (when I eventually caught up with them, but thats another story). There were a number of 4As present so you will get plenty of attention. :)

The other thing that is worth doing is paying Malcolm at CTM (near Botley) a visit if you need any professional help.

Hi Kev,

All the best with the 4A - do make sure you use it, they don't like being left in a garage! Also, to reinforce other comments, I really would suggest you join a local group of the Register. The Forum is great, but the one thing it doesn't allow you to do is to look under othe people's bonnets (well, not in any decent detail!)

On the question of overdrive or not, it really depends how you want to use the car. If you are envisaging longish trips on fastish roads then an o/d is just the job. In round figures it knocks off 500revs in top gear which, in a TR has a great effect on the decibels in the cabin and of course has the knock-on effects of better mpg and less wear and tear on the engine.

An o/d also extends the flexibility of the engine enormously which obviously adds to the driving pleasure (and sometimes gives you a greater opportunity to surprise some of the hot hatches around today!)

Having driven my '4' with and without o/d, I wouldn't want to be without it.

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Kev,

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase. As a 6 owner I can't help with your 4 related problems but I do know that when my O/D wasn't working, I certainly missed it.

On a more general point, as you are located "near Southampton" you would do well to join up with the Wessex group who meet on the 4th Tuesday of the month in Lyndhurst. I went to my first meet a couple of days ago and a very friendly bunch they turned out to be (when I eventually caught up with them, but thats another story). There were a number of 4As present so you will get plenty of attention. :)

The other thing that is worth doing is paying Malcolm at CTM (near Botley) a visit if you need any professional help.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome ! I see that you are at Gosport. I'm just down the road at Stubbington. I have already made contact with Colin at CTM when I first started looking for a TR. Nice little set up they have. I will be taking my TR to them for the 'once over' shortly. What colour is your '6' ? I've seen a green one about in Gosport.

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi all,

Thanks for your kind welcomes and replies. I'm trying to load a couple of photos, but struggling at the moment. Any advise to a non computer user would be most welcome. Message says my pictures are too large to load.

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi all,

Thanks for your kind welcomes and replies. I'm trying to load a couple of photos, but struggling at the moment. Any advise to a non computer user would be most welcome. Message says my pictures are too large to load.

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

Compress the pics with one or another program.

If you haven't got such software, e-mail the pics to yourself using the ''windows can compress your photo's'' faciiity, 3mb pics will come through as 50-60 kb pics, they are then much quicker to upload!

Cheers, john

Hi Kevin,

Compress the pics with one or another program.

If you haven't got such software, e-mail the pics to yourself using the ''windows can compress your photo's'' faciiity, 3mb pics will come through as 50-60 kb pics, they are then much quicker to upload!

Cheers, john

Thanks John, I'll give it a try !!

Kevin.

Hi all,

Regards,

Kevin.

For more information on re-sizing photographs before posting on the forum see

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=12210

Regards,

Paul

For more information on re-sizing photographs before posting on the forum see

Regards,

Paul

sorry a cock up crept in when copying and pasting from another post. Either search for 'Resizing pictures' or try this link:

Regards,

Paul