Removing the mechanical fan

Hello

I am planning to remove the mechanical fan from my TR4 and replace it with an electric fan. I have also brought a thin belt conversion kit which has an undamped crank pulley. I have also bought a short bolt kit from revingtons to attach said pulley to my crankshaft. The attached photo shows the pulley with the short bolt kit in place. The thing is, I still need to be able to attach the pulley to the pulley hub and there is insufficient clearance between the rim of the hub and the bolt holes to be able to get the bolt head to seat. Looks to me like I need some sort of a spacer to raise the bolt head above the lip. So, a couple of questions (1) Is there something obvious I am doing wrong (no comments on the use of an undamped pulley!) and (2) Does anyone know where I can get the spacer I am looking for?

Thanks for your help.

Myles

Hello

I am planning to remove the mechanical fan from my TR4 and replace it with an electric fan. I have also brought a thin belt conversion kit which has an undamped crank pulley. I have also bought a short bolt kit from revingtons to attach said pulley to my crankshaft. The attached photo shows the pulley with the short bolt kit in place. The thing is, I still need to be able to attach the pulley to the pulley hub and there is insufficient clearance between the rim of the hub and the bolt holes to be able to get the bolt head to seat. Looks to me like I need some sort of a spacer to raise the bolt head above the lip. So, a couple of questions (1) Is there something obvious I am doing wrong (no comments on the use of an undamped pulley!) and (2) Does anyone know where I can get the spacer I am looking for?

Thanks for your help.

Myles

Myles what does it look like on the other side of the pulley? You might have to use cap studs.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I am wondering if that boss is one to be used when retaining the original fan extension as the depression on the middle looks as if the extension would sit in it. Cap screws are allen headed bolts with round heads.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Can't help directly on this, except to say if you have bought it from Revingtons, it will likely have cost a little more, but that's OK because their parts gnerally do fit, and you can talk to them and they are very knowledgeable, helpful (and patient).

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

If those holes are central in the machoned channel then cap screws will certainly fit. Its difficult to see the full space with the angle of the picture? BUt you probably wont get washers in there? Make sure you add some locktight also, sorry of I am teaching granny to suck eggs!

480.1527.jpg

Cheers

Not Loctite (you'll never be able to undo it!), but "Lock and Seal", which is made by Loctite specifically for securing threads which you may wish to undo at some future date!

If you have a problem, ALWAYS consult the supplier first - it is common sense. It's 99.9% certain that they will understand your problem and will wish to resolve it. After all, a satisfied customer means further sales and positive recommendations to friends and fellow enthusiasts (which then translates to further sales)!

Ian Cornish

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'd been in touch with revingtons a few times but was still waiting for the response when I submitted the post. Anyway, a few days ago I received an e-mail from them with fitting instructions. In a nutshell, you file down the side if a Nyloc nut enough that you get it to seat. You then insert the bolt from the rear of the pulley, tighten et voila. By the way, I did try those allen headed bolts but couln't get them to fit either. So another bump in the road surpassed on the way to completing my restoration.

Myles

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'd been in touch with revingtons a few times but was still waiting for the response when I submitted the post. Anyway, a few days ago I received an e-mail from them with fitting instructions. In a nutshell, you file down the side if a Nyloc nut enough that you get it to seat. You then insert the bolt from the rear of the pulley, tighten et voila. By the way, I did try those allen headed bolts but couln't get them to fit either. So another bump in the road surpassed on the way to completing my restoration.

Myles

Not wishing to cause you more expense but I have always been led to believe that this conversion should have a damped pulley, as removing the original fan puts strain on the crank with cases of breakage being known. Surprised though that Revington (who are supposed to know everything) have supplied an undamped pulley if this scenario is true!