New Seven owner.....

Hi All,

I have just aquired a 1980 Tr7 Convertible.

VGC828W.

TPADJ7AT210078

Engine CG31174AH

The car was brought to the Island in 2005, (previously in Slough )whereby the previous owner had intended on completei restorations, using it as a rolling restoration.However due to il health he has been unable to do so.

It currently sits on his drive way, looking very sad for itself indeed. From a quick look needs new doors,localised rust removal repair etc. etc.

Hopefully moving her monday pm / tuesday.

Wish me Luck

Guy

I was in Jersey last week and saw a nice white Spitfire at Corbierre and a red Herald convertible at St Catherines bay. I didnt see any TRs though, great holiday with beautifull weather.

I was in Jersey last week and saw a nice white Spitfire at Corbierre and a red Herald convertible at St Catherines bay. I didnt see any TRs though, great holiday with beautifull weather.

Chris

Hope you had a great time.

You should of got in touch, i would have taken you on a tour of the Island.

Next time.

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy..... Great News.. and a great number plate!

VGC828W will be dead easy to remember

VGC Very Good Condition

828 How many hours a day you'll need to spend on it! [8am \ 8pm]

W Whiskey.

Say no more!

Maxwell

Hi Guy..... Great News.. and a great number plate!

VGC828W will be dead easy to remember

VGC Very Good Condition

828 How many hours a day you'll need to spend on it! [8am \ 8pm]

W Whiskey.

Say no more!

Maxwell

Hi Maxwell,

Love your sense of humour :lol: and your probably correct about the spends and time, will post a few pics once its trailered here.

Needs new doors for starters. :unsure:

Once i get the wedge sorted it then has to go be re registered here, a very glorified and extensive mot, it will then loose the reg plate and be issued with J (Jersey) plates

Cheers

Guy

Guest Wayne S

Hi Guy,

Great news! Welcome to wedgie ownership ;)

As ever if I can help with pics etc do give me a shout, there isnt much I havent had apart on mine since shes been in daily service for the last 3 years.

Wayne

Thanks Chaps.

Just got her of tow truck

Not really had much of a look myself, heres a few pics.

DSC01444.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01446.jpg

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

What do you experienced wedge keepers think.

Comments Welcomed

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy you have definitely caught the restoration bug by the looks of it! V8 perhaps! ;):o

Stuart.

Guy you have definitely caught the restoration bug by the looks of it! V8 perhaps! ;):o

Stuart.

Well Stuart,

This car owes me nothing, i have basically rescued it. If i hadnt stepped in it would most probably stayed where it was for the concievable future or ended up in the scrapyard in the sky.

The previous owner reckons it has a factory fitted Sprint Engine, i am usure of that at the moment. I have all mot certs up until 2006, and all invoices for work carried ot in the past.

Seems to have a fair bit of work done by Robsport.

Anyway, if it stops raining i will get a chance to have a proper look.

Cheers

Guy

The previous owner reckons it has a factory fitted Sprint Engine, i am usure of that at the moment.

Looks like it has the makings of a great car although, of course, we can't see underneath ;)

Unlikely to be a factory Sprint unless there is something odd going on. AFAIK those that there are were built in 77 in pre VIN days.

Your VIN seems to decode as a 1980/81 UK market RHD drophead built at Canley with the 2l 4 cyl engine.

If Robsport did work on it it's probably worth giving Rob or Simon a call as they may well recall it and be able to tell you more.

Guest Wayne S

Looks like you are in for a lot of fun there Guy, hope you have a passion for welding! :lol:

If the engine is soound, the sprint lump is great, especially with a hot cam and some webers. Will be easily as powerful as a standard 3.5 V8.

Keep us all posted on progress!

Wayne

Cheers Gordon and Wayne,

Nope cant weld, but willing to learn, just been looking to see if there are any local courses on it over here. Funny thing is i used to employ a full time weder years ago, he used to make up lorry bodys for me, hes still about, and so are his lorry bodies :lol:

Could anyone tell me from the photos if that is a sprint engine in there, can you tell from the top cover?

Plan is to see what i have here and go from there. :unsure: Although have talked about its eventual colour,...... How about Pink?

I have a very good reason for that colour and it is to coaxe the girlfriend into the Tr world, she finds my six too hard on her butt, if you know what i mean, and never goes in it.

A bonus i hear you say :lol::lol:

Cheers

Guy

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Guest Wayne S

Hi Guy,

That is absolutley a Sprint engine and you can indeed tell by the rocker cover, position of spark plugs etc

The Sprint engine is more or less the same as the 8 valve slant 4 that was original, the difference being the 16 valve head and different cut outs on the piston crown. I THINK there is a difference in distributor, type or position as well but not sure. Fundamentally though, the bottom end is much the same.

Exhaust manifolds are pretty tricky to get hold of but S and S can supply a good stainless sports one these days.

The main hotspots to look for are of course front turrets, inside and out. The rear trailing arm mounts where they meet the rear floorpan, subframe integrity and the usual spots on the floorpans. Have a look at the rear of the floorpan where they meet the bulkhead and check for corrosion there, this will make the handling of the car "interesting" to say the least! :lol:

On the engine the cooling system is the most problematic if its not been cared for and the water pump is a pain. You can tell if its leaking by checking for coolant dribbles coming out of the slot in the engine block just under the front carb. Also make sure the rubber mounts for the SU's arent leaking air as if its been stored for a while they tend to peris and crack.

There ya go! That's some scaryness to get you started :lol:

There is always more rust than expected. At least a white car is less more rusted than expected!

Good find. And quite an unusual colour now as many of the white ones have been re-sprayed. Looking forward to some more pictures when it dries up! Agreed that whilst it isn't a factory fitted sprint engine, this is a worthwhile conversion and (as with the V8) one that would have been produced in large numbers in the UK had things gone better for BL. Good luck with the car ;)

Malcolm.

Hi

Yes defintily a sprint engine Guy so quite a good find well worth keeping the engine in the car. Wayne is spot on with the information on the rust areas,if you want to show your girlfriend what a pink tr7 looks like have a look on TRDC site at the cars for sale there is a nice pink convertible on there.

Good luck with the resto and welcome to wedge ownership, if I were you I would definitly have a word with your welder or buy yourself a mig welder and an automatic welding headset just in case.

Cheers Moe

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for advice,

Briefly... :(:(

Had a spare hour took out some carpet and passenger seat, guess what two rusted footwells, :( and obviously repaired in the past, the point where the rear arm attaches to the body has rusted through. :(

Got to take out the other side.

The rear panel where filler cap is also rusted through. :(

Front turrets seem ok, but only had a quick poke.

So Far does not look good at all, the body may be fit for the scrap heap.

And the spare wheel does not fit.

Put battery on charge

Will post some pictures and stuff latter, when i have a more complete or as it seems incomplete picture. :lol:

Cheers

Guy

Hi,

Heres some photos, i took seats and carpets out and poke the screwdriver in the following dodgy areas.

I would say that the footwells have been attacked in the past, and also the rear support areas, looks to me if they need closer inspection.

The cills appear ok, the front right turret has a rusty area apart from that they appera ok.

Where the front support thingy attaches on both sides seems fine.

What do you think?

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r237/jerseyroyal/tr7/

Thanks for your comment.

Tomorrow am going to stick some fuel in tank and see if i can get her started,

Cheers

Guy

Update.

Stuck some fuel in and jump started as battery is kaput.

Engine started once fuel got through, :rolleyes: firing all cylinders, revs well and no funny noises. :rolleyes:

Could not engage gear, problem with clutch (deal with when engine comes out)

So thats good, just got to consider what to do with the bodywork issues.

Regards

Guy

Guy you are looking at a lot of work there! Hmm I think a welding course for a start. then a good MIG and maybe even a TIG, a good size compressor, a rollover spit and probably a course of Vallium!! ;):blink: Though it doesnt look as bad as some it does have the rot in pretty much all the usual places for a seven. At least it is complete and with the sprint engine it will perform well (nearly as well as a V8).

Best of luck mate!

Stuart.

Guy you are looking at a lot of work there! Hmm I think a welding course for a start. then a good MIG and maybe even a TIG, a good size compressor, a rollover spit and probably a course of Vallium!! ;):blink: Though it doesnt look as bad as some it does have the rot in pretty much all the usual places for a seven. At least it is complete and with the sprint engine it will perform well (nearly as well as a V8).

Best of luck mate!

Stuart.

Yeah , Thanks Stuart.

Going to give it some thought, might be able to lay my paws on another body locally, which may be in a barn, just got to find the chap who told me about it ages ago.

Cheers

Guy

Ah that old chestnut the "I know where theres one laying in a barn but I cant remember where" :(

I have searched barns etc looking for rumored cars like that and still never found them although you may be lucky as your on a small island.

Stuart.

• 2 years later...

Hello JerseyRoyal

Don;t mean to resurrect old posts, but I just noticed this. I used to own VGC828W from 1993 - 1996 ish. I bought it from a dealer in Slough (or somewhere like that) and cherished it as much as I could!

When I had it, it was a pretty standard 7 (definitely not a Sprint). I remember uprating the front and rear suspension to Spax and replacing the steering rack, hood, carpets and seat covers. I also got ripped off by a body-shop who did some poor filler\paint repairs that lasted about 9 mths. Grrr...

I sold it when I was moving back home from South East to North Wales. The ring gear was slipping.

Fond memories!

Regards

Hello JerseyRoyal

Don;t mean to resurrect old posts, but I just noticed this. I used to own VGC828W from 1993 - 1996 ish. I bought it from a dealer in Slough (or somewhere like that) and cherished it as much as I could!

When I had it, it was a pretty standard 7 (definitely not a Sprint). I remember uprating the front and rear suspension to Spax and replacing the steering rack, hood, carpets and seat covers. I also got ripped off by a body-shop who did some poor filler\paint repairs that lasted about 9 mths. Grrr...

I sold it when I was moving back home from South East to North Wales. The ring gear was slipping.

Fond memories!

Regards

Sorry to say this but she is no more :( The more i stripped the car the worse she was.

I have retained the engine and gearbox and the hood, but the rest was well beyond repair.

I was very dissappointed about this as it was certainly not my intention when i rescued the car

Ho hum

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal