Hi All,

I have a problem with my wiper motor.I was supplied with a 100 degree gearcog which when fitted was not enough sweep on the passenger side(uk r/h drive).I changed it for a 130 degree which is just a little too much.What is the correct degree for a TR5 (110?) or is it 120 degree and most important has anyone got one that they can sell me?.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter.

Hi All,

I have a problem with my wiper motor.I was supplied with a 100 degree gearcog which when fitted was not enough sweep on the passenger side(uk r/h drive).I changed it for a 130 degree which is just a little too much.What is the correct degree for a TR5 (110?) or is it 120 degree and most important has anyone got one that they can sell me?.

Hi Harry,

From my recon days of doing wiper motors for RTR I still have a few bits, 120 is the correct sweep assuming you have the TR5 and not 6, wiper wheel boxes. I have one 110 wheel gear you can have for the postage but I do not have any 120's anymore. Actually you will notice litttle difference between the 110 an 120 but I would stick out for a 120 myself.

Greetings from the North, Elsie, my TR5 (LCE) is on the road and in the running in period. 500 nearly up. I have many outings planned and will I hope be at Malvern this year ,

Kind regards

Ian, ex Milton Keynes hope you remember me .. Cheers

How could I forget you Ian.Glad to see Elsie is up and running,look forwards to seeing her in the flesh so to speak.

The 110 would be better than the 130 I have at the present as it just slaps on both sides of the sweep.My slow speed does not work (despite being new last year,or was it the year before?)and I am a bit pissed off with that!.

I will buy you a beer or two in Malvern for compensation if you like.

Has anyone a 120 degree they can sell me in the mean time.

Hi Harry,

From my recon days of doing wiper motors for RTR I still have a few bits, 120 is the correct sweep assuming you have the TR5 and not 6, wiper wheel boxes. I have one 110 wheel gear you can have for the postage but I do not have any 120's anymore. Actually you will notice litttle difference between the 110 an 120 but I would stick out for a 120 myself.

Greetings from the North, Elsie, my TR5 (LCE) is on the road and in the running in period. 500 nearly up. I have many outings planned and will I hope be at Malvern this year ,

Kind regards

Ian, ex Milton Keynes hope you remember me .. Cheers

Harry

Have a look at this tech sheet from SVC. It appears to say that the sweep angle is controlled by the number of teeth on the gearwheel. Don't know if this is the case for all lucas wiper motors. They appear to stock a range of gear wheels. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

Wiper Motors

As this is the second time I've posted a link to this company and because of recent threads I'd better say I have no connection with them whatsoever!

Hope it is of some help.

Tony

Thanks for the SVC link Tony..... It seems I'm about to tear the dashboard off (again) to fix my wiper wheelboxes....unless access can be gained through the glovebox and tacho...anyone know?

Harry, I assume you know the slow speed motor just goes via a 10ohm resistive 'winding'?, so could be easily fixed....i fitted a W/W one inside but i suppose it could be external if desired.

john

It seems I'm about to tear the dashboard off (again) to fix my wiper wheelboxes....unless access can be gained through the glovebox and tacho...anyone know?

In the distant past I replaced one of the wheelboxes on my '250 ( with a TR6 one in my ignorance <_< ) without removing the dashboard. I remembered it so well that I never bothered to put the correct one in until its extreme makeover decades later. So I would say it's doable, but one of the most aggravating jobs. Come to think of it, I would prefer it to removing a heater/blower assembly though.

In the interest of effecting a permanent repair I would suggest renewing the wheelboxes ( repros I've seen are just fine ) and get the best rack cable you can find, then grease within an inch of its life.

Why do people exchange wheel boxes?

They are very expensive and only get worn on one side.

On all of my cars I have removed the wipers. Then taken out the wiper drive very carefully then afterwards turned the shaft of the wheel box through 180° and then without changing this position I reinstalled the wiper drive and then just drove the car.

N.B. The gear always wears in the same place and the rest of the gear is like new.

Why do people exchange wheel boxes?

They are very expensive and only get worn on one side.

The problem is that the cars are so old that this trick has probably already been used in many cases, so both sides are clapped :(