TR250/5 Wiper Motor

My rebuilt 2-speed wiper motor went from working perfectly to rotating the wipers in the opposite direction ( towards the engine bay! ). It's had very little use since being installed and this behaviour was discovered when I switched it on today.

Anyone have a clue why :unsure: ?

Thanks in advance...

or more seriously, the rack has slipped ?

Or maybe the wiper arms were fixed in the spindles assuming the wiper

motor was at the start of the sweep, when it could have been at the end?

AlanR

or more seriously, the rack has slipped ?

Cheers,

Alec

I was about to ask a similar question today...... i've recently fitted new wiper wheelboxes,rack and tube, as well as rebuilding the motor, all seemed to work OK, but when I fitted the wiper arms yesterday, they slip on the rack and collide with each other :mellow:

I supect that there must be too much clearance between spindle drive gear and rack :( anyone else found a problem here with new wheelboxes? ......or is this just another 'Unacceptable Quality from Major Suppliers'

john

Edited by johnny250

Hi

I believe that the wheelboxes supplied new are actually for use with the TR6 / Landrover type motor, which is very different to the TR4 / TR5 type - there was a great article in the mag by our Tech Ed on these.

The big difference is that the TR4 TR5 boxes have 21 teeth on the wheels, the TR6 22, so they tend to slip. Also if the wiper arms are not attached firmly to the grooved top of the wheel box and slip / reattach they will go the wrong way. Its also good advice to put a sheet over the rear edge of the bonnet to catch the flapping blades and advoid paint damage when this happens ...... especially with the modern replacement screw on arms ....

If the rack then catches on the 'way back' maybe it reconnects and causes it to run backwards ? also look at the parking settings via the 'can' on top of the casing with the part number stamping - this needs to be set properly so that the wipers park. The gearing of the motor also needs to be right. My TR4's have 110 degree sweep, but these motors can come with 100 to 130 degree main gears ..... have a look inside. DR3's and DR3a had a wide variety of applications, so it wouldnt be a surprise if these aren't correct, but this wouldnt cause reversal.

Regards

Tony

Thanks for the input, guys. Here's more: the wheel boxes are new and correct, one is NOS and the other is a repro duplicate. ( I've used the TR6 wheelbox in the past and it never slipped, but didn't have as much arc length as the correct one. ) The rack is in unblemished, excellent condition. Finally, having removed the arms I watched the spindles rotate cw instead of ccw, looking at their tops.

I'm wondering if the parking device has moved 180 degrees. It seems to me that regardless of the motor's direction of rotation the spindles will reverse, so what matters is the starting/ending position - opposite depending on LHD or RHD. OK, maybe the car wants to move to the UK...

Tom, I don't think it's possible for the parking device to move 180 degrees. Even if it did, the wipers would just park at the other end of their sweep. All I can think of is that something has slipped/moved. Or they are upside down, as Rhodri suggests.

Tony

I'm getting even more confused here :blink: I checked the Moss lists and the wiper rack (RTC202A) and tube (AAU1909A) are the same TR5/TR250 and TR6.....the TR6 wheelbox is different (37H7738) however, so the gear ratio may be different as suggested, BUT the rack/wheelbox should not be able to slip.

Tom, i'm a bit puzzled when you say the shafts rotate the wrong way....mine go back and forth i.e both ways!

By loosening a couple of top plate screws and rotating the top 'Cap' (with the insulated connection)on the wiper motor, the park position can be adjusted....again I don't see why, surely when the motor is parked the wipers can then be set in position as desired?

john

Hi John,

Yes, the wheelbox spindles rotate and reverse like their supposed to, but they come to rest in what would be the "up" position of the wipers rather than the "down" position. I didn't remove the arms prior to this, and to reiterate they were working perfectly before ( or did I ever actually try them? I'm having doubts now... :huh: ). I also don't see how the parking "finger" coud move, and the cover lid is held fast to the assembly; it couldn't have moved.

When I get it out, if the post on the wheel is opposite the cable exit end I'll know it's set up for RHD and I should find the cover oriented 180 degrees from my driver's ( could check this but I just now returned it to the shop to fix a paint blemish :( ).