tr2 wheels,body colour or steel

The steel wheels on my 1958 TR3A are (and always have been) aluminium colour. On earlier TRs the steel wheels could have been body colour or aluminium colour. If I were you, I'd go for the colour that matchs (looks good) the colour of the car - and which you like.

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/pho...puser/3909/sl/d

hi guys.

about to refurb my steel wheels (1955 tr2 long door)

should they be steel colour or body colour.

Hi Paul,

Ex-factory, they were body colour and on a TR2, this looks good - it

just seems to suit the model.

I can't remember now whether they should be 4" or 4½", probably

4" on a long door (but I am open to correction)

AlanR

Hi Paul,

Alan is correct about the size - 4" rim on a long door 2.

As for colour, I'm not convinced by the oft-repeated assertion that wheels were always body colour.

Some contemporary b/w photos of competing cars appear to show silver finish.

I still have some 4" rims which I acquired in the 70s from original early 2s, a red and a white car, and in both cases the body colour has been applied over aluminium or silver base coat. Whether this was primer or not I don't know, but without question they are body colour applied over a base coat.

Cheers,

Alec

As far as I know they were either body colour or silver. Although wether the customer had a choice or not Im not sure.

Stuart

Hi Paul,

Just in case you are ordering specific parts for your long door TR2, might I suggest a description modification to a 53 or 54 year model, as the last long door car was made in October 1954 (TS4001). New long door cars were probably still being sold and registered in 1955 though.

If you have the 4" rims used up to long door car TS1868, it might be worth considering updating to the 4.5" rims supplied thereafter. The 4" rims had weak centres and suffered a lot of cracking problems with vigorous use, and a change to 4.5" rims also gets a bit more tyre onto the road for added safety, especially in wet conditions.

I wonder just how many long door cars were converted to short door over the years. Oddly, as a money saver, one car here had the short door conversion to the passenger's side only. The owner tired of successive girlfriends flinging open the long door against those high bluestone kerbs.

Knowing Ray the playboy a bit, I suspect there were many sudden departures from his well known signal red "half long door" TR2. :lol::lol:

Regards,

Viv.

PS. The above car and my short door 2 both had original red body coloured steel wheels, but we both converted to wires. That's only two cars of course.

Just to be pedantic it is my understanding that a long door TR2 could originally have had 4" or 4 1/2" wheels depending on age.

Pre May 1954 cars had 4" and the remainder from TS1869 on had 4 1/2" as far as I'm aware. My own Oct 54 long door resto car had 4 1/2 " wheels when I bought it but I only got it a few years ago so clearly they could have been changed. However I have painted them body colour in the restoration.

Trevor

Just to be pedantic it is my understanding that a long door TR2 could originally have had 4" or 4 1/2" wheels depending on age.

Pre May 1954 cars had 4" and the remainder from TS1869 on had 4 1/2" as far as I'm aware. My own Oct 54 long door resto car had 4 1/2 " wheels when I bought it but I only got it a few years ago so clearly they could have been changed. However I have painted them body colour in the restoration.

Trevor

hi guys.

just bought another set of wheels so will do one set body colour and the other steel.

then see what takes my fancy.

thanks for the input.

paul