Understeering

Hi all,

I've just bought my first TR6 (CP77274) and am more than happy with it. The main problem I'm having is major understeer. It has Firestone S660 205/60 HR 15"s and no play on front wheel bearings or track rod ends,

Has anyone come across this problem before, and if so how do I sort it.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil and welcome,i dont think you have the correct size tyres as in profile and width,im sure someone else will supply the correct size as im unsure,if you decide on new tyres it would be a good idea to get the front tracking done and see how it then handles. ;)

Evening Phil, and welcome to the TR registers forum :D

Ive just got mine back on the road after a strip and repaint, & I have fitted the exact same tyres as you have. I have found that it is extreemly responsive to wherever you point it,and it seems to stick to the road like glue!

Most all triumphs steering is extreemly sensitive,they have a very tight turning circle,and can take some getting used to!

I would suggest you get the tracking checked,as they are very sensitive to any toe out which will give understeer!

When you drive the car,and let go of the wheel,does it go in a straight line? Also get a mate to follow behind you on a straight road to see how the car looks as it goes along,to see if the front and rear look aligned ok!

Good fault hunting!

Dave

Edited by PILKIE
Evening Phil, and welcome to the TR registers forum :D

Ive just got mine back on the road after a strip and repaint, & I have fitted the exact same tyres as you have. I have found that it is extreemly responsive to wherever you point it,and it seems to stick to the road like glue!

Most all triumphs steering is extreemly sensitive,they have a very tight turning circle,and can take some getting used to!

I would suggest you get the tracking checked,as they are very sensitive to any toe out which will give understeer!

When you drive the car,and let go of the wheel,does it go in a straight line? Also get a mate to follow behind you on a straight road to see how the car looks as it goes along,to see if the front and rear look aligned ok!

Good fault hunting!

Dave

HI Pilkie,

It's good to hear that your TR handles well on the same size tyres. There's no vibration through the steering and it doesn't seem to crab, so I'll book it in for tracking and have 'em check for alignment at the same time. I'll post the results.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil and welcome,i dont think you have the correct size tyres as in profile and width,im sure someone else will supply the correct size as im unsure,if you decide on new tyres it would be a good idea to get the front tracking done and see how it then handles. ;)

I'm not going to get involved with all of that again so soon after the last lot. All I will say is, "Phil is before you do anything, please read the most recent thread here":

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=12911

There are also many other threads on this tipic & it's generally been flogged to death but it continues to pop up!

There are also many other threads on this tipic & it's generally been flogged to death but it continues to pop up!

This is the nature of Forumssssszzzzzzzzz :lol:

Hmmm can't see what the fuss is about - had 205's on various TR6's over the years....stuck like glue, handled fine, made the cars look choice - no problems.

Go....the mighty Fat Feet :)

Hi jon NZ

I can only concur!!

Thats my experience as well!

The USA owners have been using 205's for years!

The USA owners have been using 205's for years!

As has been said, the US is hardly the home of hot handling, but given that my car has 215s, I can hardly object to 205s. :huh:

However would just make the point that tyre width and wheel width must be correlated or the tyre will function sub-optimally.

The 5.5J rims standard on the early TR6 are truly a bit narrow for 205s. These were changed to 6J about 1972(?) and with 6J the 205s should be fine.

So, Phil, might be worth checking what you have.

And while I've been writing this I see the matter of tyre pressures has been raised, yes, you'd expect to run 205s at less than the standard pressure, but not too low or the side walls will distort under cornering. What pressures are you running? And Pilkie? Do we have concurrence I wonder?

Ivor

As has been said, the US is hardly the home of hot handling, but given that my car has 215s, I can hardly object to 205s.

Excuse me... "hardly the home of hot handling"?? Care to elaborate? ;)

I'm running 215/55-16's on the rear and 205/55-16's on the front mounted on Panasport wheels. Car tracks and grips extremely well.

joe

Edited by bowtie6
The 5.5J rims standard on the early TR6 are truly a bit narrow for 205s. These were changed to 6J about 1972(?) and with 6J the 205s should be fine.

Sorry Ivor, the 6 was never fitted with 6J wheels as standard. The TR2 - 4A had, I believe, 4J & 4 ½ J rims; the 5 had 5J rims & the 6 moved up to 5 1/2J but it stayed at that throughout the production run as far as I know. As a matter of interest, it became difficult to get 15 inch road tyres in the standard 165 section in the late 70’s let alone anything wider. As far as I recall, the only cars running 15 inchers at the time were the TR6, XJ6, & the VW beetle & as there were only some 8k odd UK TR6’s, the tyre manufacturers all but stopped making 165 section HR rated tyres; hence the reason so many switched to 205 section VR Jag tyres but the high aspect ratio of the time made it look like the car was on steriods & did nothing for acceleration & handling.

As for pressures; optimising & maintaining the tyres pressures is just as important as the tyres themselves!

Joe

What rim widths are you running bowtie 6 on?

Regards

Tim

Tim - you should check out Joes website

http://www.bowtie6.com/

Quite a serious project and well sorted - reckon it would out handle most TR's around with all the extra strengthening, shock work, LSD AND serious Feet on the deck!! To be honest I'm going down the same track as Joe with my build - create a good usable 'every day' and 'track' car.

Have a look :)