Hi all,

The motor of my heater is broken. I've tried to repair it, but I wasn't succesful. therefore, I'm looking for a new one. I know about the bizar prices one has to pay for TR heaters, I don't know if this means that motors are also very expensive. I've seen some on the Holden site, but I'm not sure if this motor can be used for the TR.

I've read about the Clayton heaters from Revington and I've found them also on the Holden site for about 100 GBP less than Revington. Are there any more places one can buy these (for less money then the 300 GBP Revington is asking obviously!).

As always: your comment is very welcome!

Menno

Hi all,

The motor of my heater is broken. I've tried to repair it, but I wasn't succesful. therefore, I'm looking for a new one. I know about the bizar prices one has to pay for TR heaters, I don't know if this means that motors are also very expensive. I've seen some on the Holden site, but I'm not sure if this motor can be used for the TR.

I've read about the Clayton heaters from Revington and I've found them also on the Holden site for about 100 GBP less than Revington. Are there any more places one can buy these (for less money then the 300 GBP Revington is asking obviously!).

As always: your comment is very welcome!

Menno

I got my (as new!) original heater from Revington TR at the 2006 International..... about £10 I think! they had 5 or 6 there, I assume they take them out for racing or whatever....so ask them if they have any old originals.

john

I intend to install a clayton heater in my TR3A. I have taken out the original one as the effect was nearly 0. The price at Revington incl. aux. items like hoses, switch and a mounting craddle. The one from Holden is the same but only the heater. Moss is also selling this, but is momentarily working on a mounting craddle as well.

Cheers, Rudi

I intend to install a clayton heater in my TR3A. I have taken out the original one as the effect was nearly 0. The price at Revington incl. aux. items like hoses, switch and a mounting craddle. The one from Holden is the same but only the heater. Moss is also selling this, but is momentarily working on a mounting craddle as well.

Cheers, Rudi

Yes, there's always something to it, isn't it! That explains the price difference.

On the other hand, it's still expensive!

Menno

Menno,

Morris Minor's seem to have the same basic motor. I bought one off e bay for about £20.

The attached lnk will take you to a web page with one advertised for sale at £2. It says the site was last updated in December 2007 so maybe he still has it.

http://www.migdalski.co.uk/BFS.htm

Rgds Ian

Hi Menno, it is still too expensive to my opinion. I intend to believe that a mounting craddle is not that difficult to DIY. A have seen one some time ago (can't remember where). In fact it was a simple alu craddle (beugel in Dutch) that was screwed to the housing of the Clayton heater. I still believe this is the best option to go if you really want an effective heating or demisting device.

Regards, Rudi

Hello Menno

TR bitz I am certain would have a motor at a reasonable price, I also considered a more modern heater for my TR3A but I ended up using the old one.

Yesterday I took it for a run out and with no top or sidescreens the heat out of the heater was very good indeed.

Personally I am happy with the original heater, and saved a fortune in keeping it.

Peter

First, a happy New Year to you all!

Peter,

Thanks for the input. I've found two sources for a new motor. One in Sweden: a guy sells brand new Morris Minor heater motors for 25 euros and an address overhere in Holland. That man sells second hand items.

I think the Clayton is too expensive. Most driving will be in Spring and Summer, when a heater is not really a must.

As I PM'ed to Ian: this motor faillure makes me aware of the fact that I'll have the matrix checked carefully by a radiator repair shop; I do not want al leaking heater matrix 5 inches above my knees whilst driving wearing summer shorts!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've obtained a new heater motor. I bought a new one from Matz Lundgren in Sweden. (His website: click here) He owns a British cars-parts webshop. The heater motor is in his on-line Morris Minor catalog (part no. AH211). He sent me the motor ealier this week and it arrived late this afternoon. A new (!) motor, with Smiths decals etc. for about 16 GBP.

Perhaps an alternative for the obvious TR suppliers? Browsing the on line catalog, I think that a MM and a TR share more than only this heater motor.

Regards,

Menno

Hello all,

I've obtained a new heater motor. I bought a new one from Matz Lundgren in Sweden. (His website: click here) He owns a British cars-parts webshop. The heater motor is in his on-line Morris Minor catalog (part no. AH211). He sent me the motor ealier this week and it arrived late this afternoon. A new (!) motor, with Smiths decals etc. for about 16 GBP.

Perhaps an alternative for the obvious TR suppliers? Browsing the on line catalog, I think that a MM and a TR share more than only this heater motor.

Regards,

Menno

Menno: can you describe the decals that you received with the motor? Photo?

Menno: can you describe the decals that you received with the motor? Photo?

Frank,

Here are two pictures of the motor with the decal. As far as I know (according to the logo that's used on the decal) it's a post 69 motor. Pre 69 decals had the word 'Smiths' written all over the decal, as post 69 had the initials 'SI' (Smiths Industries).

I don't really care if the motor is pre or post 69! Many parts in my 59 car are post 69, in fact; a lot are 07 and 08!

Regards,

Menno

Frank,

Here are two pictures of the motor with the decal. As far as I know (according to the logo that's used on the decal) it's a post 69 motor. Pre 69 decals had the word 'Smiths' written all over the decal, as post 69 had the initials 'SI' (Smiths Industries).

I don't really care if the motor is pre or post 69! Many parts in my 59 car are post 69, in fact; a lot are 07 and 08!

Regards,

Menno

Menno: Many thanks for the great photos. You may also want to add I.D. plates to the outside of the heater enclosure like I did. I got mine from this supplier on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MGA-Early-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

Heater_outside.jpg