Flood damaged TR5

Does anyone know anything about a green TR5 with red interior that has been flood damaged a friend has seen it up for sale I think it might have been written off by the insurance company but not sure.

Where was it up for sale? If you can get a reg no for it you could do a HPI check on it and find out that way.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I supplied this car to a gentleman in Tewksbury - it was "mint" condition but unfortunately water came up beyond the top of the windscreen frame!!! I guess the Insurance Company have written it off......what a shame!! I suspect it needs a full rebuild now as everything was completely flooded out!!

If you want to see pictures prior to the flood damage go to

Classic Marques TR5's For Sale

It is the second car down.....

Regards

Mark

It is now a Cat D Write Off - Now look at it!!!!

Edited by marko

Can I have the Surrey Top please? :P

I was going to look at the car a couple of years back as well... Looked stunning from all the photos I have seen... Very sad...

It's the same car alright - I've spoken to the owner this afternoon, luckily for him he had an agreed value on it but never the less is devastated because he searched quite a long time for a car like this.

The car is currently advertised on a salvage auction site and has 13 hours to go until the end of the auction......

Anyone want to guess how much it is up to??

Mark

Edited by marko

I agree Alec and was interested in buying the car back myself.

Apparently the Insurance Company (Norwich Union) no longer allow "Buy Back" for CAT D cars - they all get auctioned off.

They use a company called www.bluecycle.com - The TR5 is currently sitting at £7600 - not bad for a £22k car and I'm sure it wouldn't take vasts amounts of work to get it back on the road!!!

Somebody obviously wants it and I'm hoping it gets returned to it's former glory - perhaps with a not so bright interior this time......

Regards

Mark

Edited by marko

Hmmm!

I am insured with Norwich Union. When I started the policy a couple of years ago I was informed I would have the right to retain the car in the event of a category C or D write off! Looks like that may no longer be the case :angry: . Time for a different insurer me thinks.

Tony

Hmmm!

I am insured with Norwich Union. When I started the policy a couple of years ago I was informed I would have the right to retain the car in the event of a category C or D write off! Looks like that may no longer be the case :angry: . Time for a different insurer me thinks.

Tony

Tony may be an idea to try the club insurance through Towergate. I have always found it to be very good.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

The new buyer called me last week!!!

He is in the "Trade" but mainly deals in motorbikes down in Newton Abbott (Stuart not that far from you!!)

He paid circa £11k for it with the commission included (is this a cheap TR5 I ask myself of a potential money pit!)

He reckons that he has removed the head from the block and there is very little water in the engine as all the butterflies were closed or nearly closed when the car was flooded??

He is going to drain the fluids, new headgasket set and put back together.......

The gearbox had just been totally refurbed by us and had no water or contamination was in the oil when it was drained out!!

I'm not sure about the electrics, clocks, dials etc etc but he also reckons the interior will clean up without being replaced...I would have replaced it with a nice subtle colour, perhaps biscuit or black.....personal preference of course.....

It has all been steamed cleaned underneath, inner wings, under the wheelarches etc etc and it still looks mint apparently.

I'm not sure that his troubles are all over getting this car on the road but I suppose it wasn't salt water that got in but it did look bloody dirty, silty river water.........

It is a Cat D car now though - will it effect the value of the car to much - I'm not sure - any comments??

Let's hope he doesn't try to pass it off as an original condition car or he may end up in the same scenario as the guy on the VX220 site......Imran or IMI....

Mark O http://www.classic-marques.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

No Imram here..... :rolleyes:

Appears to be a very accurate description, highlights in RED the car is listed a a "CAT D" and details the recent "Flood damage", recommending interested parties invest in an independent inspection to confirm the cars fitness.

Looks as though the flood water washed the black paint off the instrument gauge bezel's! :o

Usual disclaimer, no knowledge, interest, or profit from the vendor.

Kind regards

Brydon

Edited by brydon

Well, it is at £11,299 at the moment, 'reserve not met'.

I wonder what the reserve price is and what the final selling price will be.

If it was/is a £22k car, how much will be deducted by 'the market' for it's category D status?

Quite good fun watching this pan out as it clearly is a nice car, even if it has the wrong gauge bezels!!

David

Hi

No mention of regreasing hubs, axle internals, brakes etc.

At £12k its still a winner, but assuming all the bearings / brakes / rack should be serviced or replaced no change from another £3k if done properly.

My view is thta as a Cat D its 'on its money' already as the man with the tan says ...

Tony