starter motor not working...

I've a '71 CP and successfully fitted a new high torque starter six months ago. However it has now developed a problem in that it doesn't work! No sign of life whatsoever. I've checked that both the +ve battery connection is good and the connection from the ignition switch is good, but still no joy.

Only coinicidence is that this problem coincides with fitting a new radio, but I can't for the life of me fathom why a new single live feed from the fuse box to the radio would impact the starter motor???

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Tim

I've a '71 CP and successfully fitted a new high torque starter six months ago. However it has now developed a problem in that it doesn't work! No sign of life whatsoever. I've checked that both the +ve battery connection is good and the connection from the ignition switch is good, but still no joy.

Only coinicidence is that this problem coincides with fitting a new radio, but I can't for the life of me fathom why a new single live feed from the fuse box to the radio would impact the starter motor???

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Tim

Tim

There has been instances of these starters giving up. However check your ignition switch wiring anyway, also remove the red and white wire from the starter and connect a bulb between it and earth and then operate starter switch as this will tell you if you have a full 12v supply to starter.Which fuse did you use for the radio feed as its possible that you may have disturbed the white feed to the ignition switch.

Stuart.

After my TR5 was involved in that terrrible weekend in Worcestershire and in flood water about half a metre in depth but the following day was recovered intact apart from the interior was wrecked,I had trouble after two weeks of drying her out and then trying the starter.This is the same as yours (high torque) and it was shorting out with the ammeter

needle discharging to the right.I pulled the starter out and stripped it down.I found corrosion on the copper parts and elsewhere.It is designed to let moisture out but not flood water in.After cleaning,it now works.If you have the same symptoms,then I suggest you do the same.Or is your battery had it.Maybe an auto electrician if you still can not trace the problem.

Regards Harry.

Guys

Timely posting by Tim Hill or what.

Well this is the inside of my Hi Torque.

Came home from Malvern having got there through many floods on Friday, gout out of Malvern and parked car in garage at home Saturday pm, stripped gearbox out on Sunday. Tried starter tonight, no response, tried Stuart's 12v test, all OK, stripped starter off and tried it with jump start, no go, took off end plate and, well you can see the result, I hope.

Main question is, is this a write off or can it be cleaned inside and relied upon?

If it can be cleaned up, with what?

Any replies appreciated.

Regards

Tim

My heart goes out to you. When my starter died in the TR4A, I had to pull so many bits out to get it out, that I realised I had started the 1-5 year complete overhaul. have just finished the chassis, but by the time I finish the rest the blanky starter will probably require another overhaul just on time that has passed.

Harry

Thanks for the comment, I think my current (no pun intended) concern is that if I clean it up and all seems OK I will then refit the interior and move on. The car is going to Italy & Greece in 4 and a bit weeks and if the starter decides to fail again I will be pushed to get it sorted. Or I bite the bullit and buy a new one!!

Jim

From little acorns mighty oaks do grow. But curing a dead starter to a rebuild, that is going some.

In my case the major works are done, the 'box was out to get jumping out of 3rd fixed (top hat bush collapsed) but it is a bit of a bu**er if the new fangled item cannot handle the elements like the original did. OK perhaps half a dozen dunkings in a foot or so of water is a bit of a test, but this is Britain in summer after all.

Regards

Tim

Could someone explain to me what the advantages of the hi-torque starter motors are, this is probably a risky thing to post but I've never had any problems with a standard one. ;)

Ron

Only the weight, I suppose, and this is very relative I agree.

A lot of these startes go wrong without a flood too, although the quality tends go up a bit it seems (apart for the bad engaging).

Ron

I changed mine to Hi Torque recently partly because the old one was starting to struggle but mainly because I have a fancy exhaust manifold on the car which meant there was zero room to get the original starter out without stripping all the inlet and exhaust side out. As I was in there with other work anyway, I bit the bullet and changed the starter to the HI Torque one.......and there is now room to remove it again if I have too without all the hassle.

In practical use terms it cranks the engine over quicker and ( I think) doesn't pull such a current load but other than that it just does what the old one did.

Thanks for the swift replies guys!

I had dreaded taking the starter off for inspection as the last time I tried I couldn't undo the top locating bolt & nut when approaching it from the top, so it looks like the interior will have to come out so I can get at it that way!

Thanks for the swift replies guys!

I had dreaded taking the starter off for inspection as the last time I tried I couldn't undo the top locating bolt & nut when approaching it from the top, so it looks like the interior will have to come out so I can get at it that way!

Tim it is possible to undo the top bolt with several extensions on a socket drive and a wobbly drive before the socket from underneath in over the gearbox. You can guess how I know this!!

Stuart.

Tim it is possible to undo the top bolt with several extensions on a socket drive and a wobbly drive before the socket from underneath in over the gearbox. You can guess how I know this!!

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. However the top bolt on my starter 'overhangs' the nut by about 30mm so I can't get a socket on it anyways! :angry:

It's worth noting that there are two types of hi-torque starters on the market. One type has a stud fitting (which is a bugger to fit/remove as you need to access from inside the car), and the other just has two bolt holes as per the original Lucas motor and is easy to fit.

Thanks Stuart. However the top bolt on my starter 'overhangs' the nut by about 30mm so I can't get a socket on it anyways! :angry:

So not even possible with a deep socket then?

Stuart.

justa thought I had a starting prob turn key some times ok others just clik clik cleaned all contacts checked wires just the same are me thinks new starter needed so I push the boat out new hi torq one goes on just the same now what? mate comes round "try putting a energiser wire straight from bat to starter hey presto no more pros tured out to be dodgy igition switch

The nut on the stud type can be put on with a flexi head ratchet spanner without removing the g/b cover

Just thought I'd add my pennys'worth - I have a high torque starter with the stud. As I wanted get easy acces I cut a round hole into the gearbox cover, so that I could do up/undo easiliy the top nut. Then fixed with a rubber grommet. I also found on 1/2 occasions mine would stick on start up. And I'm told by the manufacturer, who supply most of them to Moss etc, that some of the early ones - 1/2 years old, have an inherent problem with the plunger. In that when it gets hot it sticks. Try just tapping the dome bit at the end of the starter motor and see if it works. Mine did, plus to rectify as I have a hot sports exhaust right underneath it, I put some exhaust wrap around the pipes immediately underneath the starter motor. Since done and having gone to Greece recently, hot weather etc etc , it hasn't missed a beat yet.

Best Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Guys

Timely posting by Tim Hill or what.

Well this is the inside of my Hi Torque.

Came home from Malvern having got there through many floods on Friday, gout out of Malvern and parked car in garage at home Saturday pm, stripped gearbox out on Sunday. Tried starter tonight, no response, tried Stuart's 12v test, all OK, stripped starter off and tried it with jump start, no go, took off end plate and, well you can see the result, I hope.

Main question is, is this a write off or can it be cleaned inside and relied upon?

If it can be cleaned up, with what?

Any replies appreciated.

Regards

Tim

At long last I too have manged to get the starter motor off for inspection and it looks pretty much the same as Tim's. Mine is only 6 months old and hasn't been on a coar that's waded through any floods so I was very surprised to see it in such poor condition inside...