Softop frame info

Hi All,

I fitted a new softop cover recently and after mt experiences at Malvern have come to the conclusion it does not fit as well as it should. Didnt bother me before as hood was always down in all but the worst rain.

The main problem was water dripping onto my lap from between the two horizontal channels on the frame, it was coming in both sides. :blink::(

I have taken the cover off from the front bar and have turned my attention to the frame :huh::unsure:

I think the problem is the relationship of the glass to the rubbers and the metal frame, both sides are different on mine.

Does anyone know off a good source of info on restoration of the frame, dos and donts tips etc ??

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Guy.

Sorry I didnt get to meet you at Malvern,must of just missed you sat morn!!

You could give these guys a call see; hood frame

I got a really VERY!! excellent original gearlever & radio 'H' frame from them for £70 inc p/p :):)

Dave

Edited by PILKIE

Thanks Bill and Pilkie for your replys.

I have Roger Williams book and will re read it, and have read the Buckeye Triumphs info, shame about the photos.

I fear my problem envolves the rake or fit of the glass to the front screen , it fits well at top of screen but is a good 1/4 out at the base where glass goes into door. the consequence being the top line of the glass is out.

There has been a thread recently about door glass, think i will have a read of that too.

If any one has a photo of the relastionship of the top of the door glass to either hood or hood frame that would help me out no end.

Best Reagrds

Guy

Ps Sorry i missed you at Malvern Pilkie, did keep an eye out for your P6.

Guy

Eighteen months back I decided to change to a Mohair hood.. an so rather than fit to the existing frame opted to swap it out for a refurbished one from the same place as Pilkie refers to - the unit that came back was excellent... also got the additional hardware to go with it at the same time...

Regards

Guy

Eighteen months back I decided to change to a Mohair hood.. an so rather than fit to the existing frame opted to swap it out for a refurbished one from the same place as Pilkie refers to - the unit that came back was excellent... also got the additional hardware to go with it at the same time...

Regards

Hi Ian ,

Thanks for your recommendation, not sure which route to follow as yet.

I am refurbing the window runners and the channel the glass into fits to, also redoing door pulls, then will see how well the whole thing fits together with hood frame etc , etc

Cheers

Guy

If any one has a photo of the relationship of the top of the door glass to either hood or hood frame that would help me out no end.

Hi Chaps

Still looking for a photo please if any one has one. I cannot really compare it to anything on this Rock that i live on. : :angry:

Tar Muchly

Guy

Sorry Guy I dont have any Pictures that would help you. But at the risk of stating the b*****g obvious the hood outer rain channel should follow the line of the top of the side window glass and be outside of the glass but unfortunately what you quite often get with aftermarket hoods is that the door glass touches the channel on the hood at the rear of the glass when fully wound up. This may be especially so on yours as you say the window to screen frame relationship isnt correct. The hood frame side rubbers in an ideal world should follow the line of the glass also and the glass should be in contact with the rubber to provide a top seal, but most of them unless they are perfect tend to drop in the middle where the two sections meet and you will quite often get a leak there as you have found. I find that it pays when assembling these cars to leave the screen frame, the window glass channels and the hood frame mountings all loose and then get all the relationships correct before tightening any of them up and finally fitting the hood afterwards to suit. I realise that in your case you have a fully built car and a fitted hood so this could prove to be too much of a job but if your door glasses can be shimmed on the slides that may make enough of a difference to the sealing and slightly longer side rubbers that squash together in the middle when the frame is erected sometimes helps as well. If you need any more help you have my numbers.

Stuart.

Guy

Is that any help, if you want one from the outside give me a shout.

Mine is watertight apart from the odd drip at the corner where the hood/doorglass and screen frame meet, but really only in VERY heavy rain.

L1010528.jpg

Ron

Guy

Here's a picture from the outside, not a very good one unfortunately, but if you look carefully you can see where the top of the doorglass is in relation to the hood; I can't get a pic side on, too many reflections.

L1010530.jpg

Ron

Edited by ron
Guy

Here's a picture from the outside, not a very good one unfortunately, but if you look carefully you can see where the top of the doorglass is in relation to the hood; I can't get a pic side on, too many reflections.

L1010530.jpg

Ron

Thats brilliant Ron, Thanks

Nice hood and dare i say it again....Great colour on your car.

Am making head way have improved fit of window to screen, drivers side, combination of tightening bolts to screen and taking out window including runners.

Re fitting window into glazing bar, was slightly out and tilted, relinning runners,adjusting holes for window mechanism.

Have refitted webbing and in process of trial fitting covering and adjusting window channels.

Got to do passenger door also.

Boy does this take alot of fettling

Regards

Guy

Thats another good illustration of why professional restoration can cost a fortune Guy. By now you must have nearly saved what your car cost to buy with doing it all yourself!! ;)

Stuart.

Thats another good illustration of why professional restoration can cost a fortune Guy. By now you must have nearly saved what your car cost to buy with doing it all yourself!! ;)

Stuart.

Stuart

Yes, your quite correct, i can see how and why costs can be high. All i started out to do was to sort out two leaks which occured in the worst of the heavy rain at Malvern.

I have ended up stripping off softop cover , stripping out door liners and all the mechanisms, cleaning and refurbing, putting back, trial fit after trial fit, tightened up windscreen frame.

Havent finished yet still loads to do, i have spent most of the weekend on this so far. Although if i were doing it again i would know a little more, and hopefully be more efficient .

However it would take me even longer if i did not help from Forum members. Who will also go out of their way to help. What a great forum.

Thanks alot .

Guy

Guy

L1010530.jpg

Ron

Ron, it's a little hard to see from the picture but it looks as though the top only comes part way down the velcro strips at the top of the window. Is this the case?

Thanks,

Dave

http://www.triumphowners.com/1156

Hi Dave

Probably, I had previously put the hood up in a hurry due to one of the infrequent heavy showers we get up here :rolleyes:

It does fit well if I take time and erect it properly, as I said before it is watertight apart from the very odd drip from the front corner in heavy rain. The blue hood is slightly darker than the photo, not sure if I really like it, sometimes wish I'd stuck with black ;)

Ron

This is probably a really daft question - but nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say:

Ron - in your picture of the outside, it appears as though the flappy bits that locate against the trailing edge of the shut door glasses are on the *outside* of the glass. It might just be an illusion from the photo, but hat's how it looks to me. If the flaps are on the outside, how do you open and close the doors? Or do you lower the window every time? Or should I take more note of the card from Boots in the post this morning telling me my eyesight exam is overdue :blink:

Reason for asking is that I have the same hood on mine, although my roof is a black one. Agree entirely on previous sentiments about colour of the car, though...

Regards

Kevin

Kevin, it's an optical illusion, the glass is on the outside of the fabric, you can just make out the line of it on the thick pad of hood material at the rear of the window, I'll try and take a better pic when it's outside, it was cramped in the garage and I kept getting reflections off the doorglass from the flash.

Ron

I can see it now I look much closer at the full size image. Thank goodness for that - I thought I had entirely messed up with the roof on mine... Must get eyes tested......

Kevin