Rattles & squeaks

Hi all,

My 6 suffers from a whole range of rattles & squeaks over non-smooth roads and I'm slowly working my way through them (window glass, loose door hinge, hood frame, loose exhaust, passenger seat...).

How silent/noisy are your cars? How creaky were the cars when new?

Cheers!

Eli

Hi all,

My 6 suffers from a whole range of rattles & squeaks over non-smooth roads and I'm slowly working my way through them (window glass, loose door hinge, hood frame, loose exhaust, passenger seat...).

How silent/noisy are your cars? How creaky were the cars when new?

Cheers!

Eli

Hi Eli,

Cant really answer your question about how they were when new.

However one area i found that squeaked was in the area of the fibreglass tunnel. Fixed that with new bolts and the long plates that go underneaththe bolts, together with the rubber roll or gasket that sandwiches between tunnel and floor pan.

And another was the soft top frame, thats easy enough with a spanner.

Regards

Guy

Ps How was your trip to France.?

Hi all.

I consider it part of the character of an old car to have rattles and squeaks, :huh: along with the odd clunk and thud, :blink::blink: They all speak to you :P . its when you hear or feel something not normal,and you detect a hint of something about to go wrong that I worry!! ;)

I think everybody knows there own cars "voice" very well,and will know when its not talking right! :huh:

Edited by PILKIE

In the early seventies one of my friends who was a BEA air stewardess had a brand new TR6 and I must admit at the time I was very impressed with the car (mind you I had a seven year old MK2 Jaguar that was rotting as I drove it) I sometimes think now that i may have spent more time concentrating on her driving than anything else so that may have been a biased opinion!!

My 4a is pretty much rattle free as it was nut and bolt ground up restored with a lot of care taken during assembly which considering how hard the suspension settings are is nothing short of a miracle.

I agree about the fact that old cars do talk to you but as long as they arent telling you they are about to fall to bits then why worry.

Stuart.

My 3A definitely has its own "normal" set of noises, and my copilot is always very alert to new ones - although she's not telling me about them so much because apparently I don't take it well when she points them out!

The worst and most persistent are what we have come to call the "jingles". This is a very light rattle on anything but the smoothest road from both rear wheel areas which stops with a light application of the brakes, but has defied all of my attempts to identify its exact source and cure it. Various changes in that area - wires to alloys, new shock absorber links, exchanged back axle, giving opportunities to make sure everything was set right and propely torqued - have all had no effect.

I now suspect that it must be coming from the handbrake actuator levers as they pass through the back plates, so that'll be my target at the end of this season.

Got a funny feeling though that if I do manage to fix it after all this time, we'll actually miss the "jingles"! It's all part of the character of the cars as Pilkie says.

Steve

I think its telling you it has slightly loose brake shoe retaining springs :P, my dolly sprint had a similar jingle that went on light braking!! could be the front pad pins!! talking noises do tend to wander and echo about in an open top car :P

Edited by PILKIE

I've got a very squeaky fascia on my '250 which manifested after I repositioned it ( the metal fascia had pulled out from the inverted studs on the RH side ). I took pains to get it as tight as possible, not wanting to revisit the issue again...so every time the car goes over an uneven surface it complains loudly :(

Suggestions anyone :unsure: