Gearbox out ..now what..

Guy,

As a matter of interest, which clutch manufacturer did you eventually select. My interest aroused by the recent debate about replacement clutch quality.

Yours

Paul

Hi Paul.

Quicklly as have bbq on, and the other half is trying to give me grief.

My parts came from Tr revington clutch and cover Borg and Beck, Revingtons have a chap who reconditions them, they are uprated, also has adjustable pushrod on slave with return spring. My origanal was a Borg and Beck and never gave me any problems. Revingtons bronze carrier and Koyo bearing

Regards

Guy

ps ..... all now refitted, fill gearbox oil, tunnel on , and take it for spin tomorrow, hopefully i hve done everything correctly, otherwise its out again.

Edited by Jersey Royal

ps ..... all now refitted, fill gearbox oil, tunnel on , and take it for spin tomorrow, hopefully i hve done everything correctly, otherwise its out again.

Hi Guy, we had it very hot here yesterday, went to Helmingham show, loads of cars and plenty of Trs, photo on our web by tomorrow.

Just one point on your comment above, assume you have fitted the tunnel now , for the future and for anyone else who attemps work on gearbox or O/D electrics, Never, NEVER refit the tunnel before you have roadtested the car, one loose wire or a dodgy isolator switch and you have to take it all out AGAIN!

Also whilst the tunnel is out is a good time to cut 3 inspection apertures, one on left for gearbox filler level plug. Find a rubber plug first, about 1.5 -2 ins and make hole to suit, and one on right for speedo angle drive.

Also on cars with 'A' type O/D a suitably shaped hole on the LH side will gain access to the O/D solenoid.

It sure beats having to remove the tunnel to replce a small part.

Best regards Chris.

Edited by potts4a

Hi Guy, we had it very hot here yesterday, went to Helmingham show, loads of cars and plenty of Trs, photo on our web by tomorrow.

Just one point on your comment above, assume you have fitted the tunnel now , for the future and for anyone else who attemps work on gearbox or O/D electrics, Never, NEVER refit the tunnel before you have roadtested the car, one loose wire or a dodgy isolator switch and you have to take it all out AGAIN!

Also whilst the tunnel is out is a good time to cut 3 inspection apertures, one on left for gearbox filler level plug. Find a rubber plug first, about 1.5 -2 ins and make hole to suit, and one on right for speedo angle drive.

Also on cars with 'A' type O/D a suitably shaped hole on the LH side will gain access to the O/D solenoid.

It sure beats having to remove the tunnel to replce a small part.

Best regards Chris.

Hi Chris,

Look forward to your photos.

Have chjecked out your Malvern O7 slideshow, must admit you have a very nice Sapphire Blue Tr6 in there. :D

I had only put in two tunnel bolts prior to road test. Clutch works well, much smoother and lighter than before, its as if i have a new gearbox too. Strange how you get used to things, i wonder now how i drove it before.

I agree with you re holes in tunnel , mine is a fibreglass one and i have made provision for gearbox filler, but have made no provision for my a type overdrive as yet.

Put my interior back together with much more care than i usually do, carpets look like they have been sprayed on.

Enjoy the weather while it lasts.

Regards

Guy

Hi Chris,

Look forward to your photos.

Have chjecked out your Malvern O7 slideshow, must admit you have a very nice Sapphire Blue Tr6 in there. :D

I had only put in two tunnel bolts prior to road test. Clutch works well, much smoother and lighter than before, its as if i have a new gearbox too. Strange how you get used to things, i wonder now how i drove it before.

I agree with you re holes in tunnel , mine is a fibreglass one and i have made provision for gearbox filler, but have made no provision for my a type overdrive as yet.

Put my interior back together with much more care than i usually do, carpets look like they have been sprayed on.

Enjoy the weather while it lasts.

Regards

Guy

Well done Guy as you say its really suprising what you get used to and only notice when something changes!!

Now you have done one of the more difficult jobs on a TR you will be able to tackle pretty much anything now!

Stuart.

Guy,

Many thanks for info on clutch equipment. It seems that Borg and Beck is the only replacement option now available since I have very recently discovered that LUK no longer offer a TR6 replacement clutch. Is there any other new equipment option for road cars? Glad to hear your new clutch is working properly.

Yours

Paul

Paul

Sorry but LUK do still supply a TR6 clutch.

From www.BuyPartsBy.co.uk

Search under "clutch kits" then "Rover" (well that one is obvious isn't it!!!) and then TR6

They specify RepSet

622 0457 06 for a TR6

This combines –

Pressure Plate – 122 0062 12

Driven Plate 322 0135 16

Release Bearing – RHP UK 14/W 2 1/16

The driven plate being the correct 16 rivet 10 spline 1.25" plate (see the problems on the main forum re failing driven plates)

If you want just a cover plate I have a spare. PM me

Regards

Tim

Edited by TIMS

TIMS and Alec,

Thanks for your updates, but enquired with my local factor, Express Factors, last week who could not find it in their latest LUK catalogue and thus phoned LUK direct who confirmed that they no longer supply a TR6 repro clutch set as given by TIMS. Seems the options are diminishing.

Yours

Paul

Paul

Yup, you are quite correct. Albeit that my RepSet arrived only last Monday.

I have just spoken to BuyPartsBy and they tell me that mine was the last they had and LUK(UK) have told them it is discontinued in the UK

Sorry folks for the bad information.

Regards

Tim