Can somebody help me!

Some 3000 miles (approx) the previous owner had the newly restored car put on a rolling road where the HS6 carbs were setup with, according to receipt, TR needles instead of standard TW needles (car has stage 2/3 head, 87mm pistons, modded exhaust, Triumphtune road cam & K & N filters).

I have noticed that the 2 plugs associated with one of the carbs seem more sooty & hence richer than the other 2 & have tried to adjust the jets accordingly. Today after trying out my new Carbalancer I thought I would just check the needles & lo & behold the carb feeding the 'richer' plugs has a TR needle (slightly richer item) <_< while the other carb has a standard TW & not the same TR needle as shown on an invoice.

Not sure if the previous owner changed the setup but what should I do now? Change the standard TW & match with the slightly richer TR which was supposed to be the setup with the mods on the rolling road or reduce the richness & match with the other TW needle bringing it to standard even with those engine mods?

A dilema! Any SU needle expert out there please? Desperate from Gloucestershire!!!

Hi Monty,

A trustworthy rolling road operator would be a good start !

Revington in Somerset, Sigma in Dorset, Janspeed in Wiltshire - for example . . .

There must be somebody reliable closer to your home ?

Try asking the local TR group ? That's Glavon, by the way.

Cheers,

Alec

Thanks Alec.

Yes, I do intend to get it on a R/R at some stage but it apparently had a few hours at what should have been a reliable operation so am surprised to find the discrepancy & am assuming the previous owner messed around with the needles.

In the meantime in order to get driving again what do you have any suggestions as to which needles to match or experiment with both?

I am a member of Glavon so will ask somebody there about R/R.

Regards,

Monty.

Hi Monty,

My TR4A has a similar spec engine to yours, and I was recommended to fit SW needles. When I subsequently had a rolling road session, the operator modified the profile of the needles slightly, but did not recommend changing them. Hope this helps!

Graeme

Hi Monty,

My TR4A has a similar spec engine to yours, and I was recommended to fit SW needles. When I subsequently had a rolling road session, the operator modified the profile of the needles slightly, but did not recommend changing them. Hope this helps!

Graeme

Thanks Graeme,

Yes, I have looked at the profile of the SW which is the recommended richer needle for our kind of mods but the one originally put in was the TR which is roughly in between the standard TW & the SW (richer). I think I will get another TR needle as supposedly original & see how it works.

I must say that the car seemed to go very well with a different needle in each carb & 2 pots richer than the other 2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monty, obvioulsy you want to run on the same needles in both carbs, looking at an SU needle chart there is not a lot of difference between a TR & TW needle, so choose one or the other and start with that. My 3A has similar mods to yours and I run it on TW needles, which I think may be a tad to lean.

When you do your tuning first check that the fuel level in both float chambers are at the correct height, then measure the distance of the main jet down from the bridge piece in the carb and make them both the same, I use a vernier caliper with a depth gauge for this, I've found that getting this height the same on both carbs gives you a good strating point to work from, then use the carb balancer. Give the car a run to see how it feels and then recheck the plugs.

This is a fun (in a nerdy kind of way) site for comparing needles.

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/suneedle/

ade

Yes Ade,

I found that a few days ago. We are very sad are we not!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Monty.

Yes Ade,

I found that a few days ago. We are very sad are we not!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Monty.

Sad I dont think so, this is a very good tool for any sort of comparison and I have used it several times.

Stuart.

Monty

I would also recommend Andrew what he doesn,t know about SU,s is,nt worth knowing.

But if you like your own research try one called winsu

I find it,s real fun and the charts are good to

It helped me setup my triple SU.s on the six

But I would have to say that Andrew pointed me in the right direction for the four

Cheers see some of you at Malvern

Reg

Monty

I would also recommend Andrew what he doesn,t know about SU,s is,nt worth knowing.

But if you like your own research try one called winsu

I find it,s real fun and the charts are good to

It helped me setup my triple SU.s on the six

But I would have to say that Andrew pointed me in the right direction for the four

Cheers see some of you at Malvern

Reg

Thanks Reg. Yes I contacted Andrew who was very helpful indeed. A real enthusiast & so nice to talk to.

He will be at Malvern with some knowledge & parts. If anyone wants anything specific then give him a call & he will bring to Malvern.

Regards,

Monty.