Hi All,

I have the opertunity to purchase a seemingly very nice TR3. a local Jersey Car having been restored some seven years ago.

TS 21953 EB22040977357

Do any of these numbers mean anything to anyone, as i am a Tr6 owner and Know very little about the Tr3

Original milage 38 000

for more info http://www.leriche.com/sales/carview.asp?r...2681&page=6

Any Advice appreciated

Guy

Note Andrew watch this space.

Edited by Jersey Royal

It looks nice, Guy. Always good to have a hardtop, even if you only keep it in storage. I notice it has wing repeater flashers - and a reversing light built into the spare wheel cover.

If it were mine I'd pull out the ritzy centre console and return the car to its original interior condition.

Good luck!

Tim.

It looks nice, Guy. Always good to have a hardtop, even if you only keep it in storage. I notice it has wing repeater flashers - and a reversing light built into the spare wheel cover.

If it were mine I'd pull out the ritzy centre console and return the car to its original interior condition.

Good luck!

Tim.

Tim

Has hardtop and all original sidescreens in perfect nick, see what you mean about centre consol, had not noticed that before

Cheers

guy

This seems to be expensive and at this level you would want the chassis to have been stripped and every part restored before re assembly. This looks like a high quality paint job, but what have they done to the gearbox, engine, carbs and the many other parts which can soon add up to a lot of work and expense.

I would prefer to buy a fully restored car with full rebuild history, including photographs, and receipts with full details. There are often cars in TRaction for sale at a figure less than the rebuild cost. You need a lot more information.

The engine bay is quite shabby and why is the capillary draped around the battery box instead of coiled and feeding through the correct hole in the bulkhead. How old is the radiator? The oil filler looks in poor shape and red plug leads look cheap. The interior has the amazing console which could make the inside a bit small.

Lift up the carpets, look for rust in the chassis, and check out the rear panel from underneath. If you love it buy it. Good luck

:unsure: Richard

TS 21953 EB22040977357

Do any of these numbers mean anything to anyone, as i am a Tr6 owner and Know very little about the Tr3

I don't personally know this car, but if your question is general in nature:

TS 21953 is the commission number, which is the unique number which identifies the car and found on the right-hand bulkhead.

EB 22040 is the number on the brass tag found just above the battery box. This ID tag was put there by Mulliners of Birmingham, the firm who built the bodies for Triumph. These numbers are generally (but not always) withing 1000 of the commission number. This tag should be painted body color.

977357 is the number found on a second brass ID tag found just below the EB tag. This tag was installed by Triumph at Canley during final assembly. This tag should be natural brass finish.

see attached photo for an example of these tagsadphoto-r1.jpg

Best luck to you,

Frank

Thanks to you all for your advise.

The car is very presentable , however i have two concerns,

The Chassis has been liberally coated with underseal in such a way it looks like its been put on with a trowel, i wonder what that would show up once removed, so needs more investigation.

The paintwork although shinny and very smart does have raised area as if a spider has crawled under the paint, am told its because of the cover that was on the car. i would not be happy unless the car had a respray.

Taking the above into account most probably overpriced

Then there the unknown.

So whilst i am at Malvern i will have a look at other Tr3s , so i can get a feel for it. And put this vehicle on the back burner.

Thanks for all your help

Guy

Thanks to you all for your advise.

The car is very presentable , however i have two concerns,

The Chassis has been liberally coated with underseal in such a way it looks like its been put on with a trowel, i wonder what that would show up once removed, so needs more investigation.

The paintwork although shinny and very smart does have raised area as if a spider has crawled under the paint, am told its because of the cover that was on the car. i would not be happy unless the car had a respray.

Taking the above into account most probably overpriced

Then there the unknown.

So whilst i am at Malvern i will have a look at other Tr3s , so i can get a feel for it. And put this vehicle on the back burner.

Thanks for all your help

Guy

Guy spiders under the paint is old spots of rust that were not properly attended to the last time it was painted and they tend to spread under the paint and would require bare metalling again. Underseal on the chassis is very bad news and at the depth that you are describing it is definitely hiding something!! So my advice is walk away and keep looking as there are good cars around for less but you need to be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs before you will find your princess.(sorry about the strange analogy but i think it fits!) Also its the wrong time of the year to buy as these cars usually end up cheaper in the winter.

Stuart.

Guy spiders under the paint is old spots of rust that were not properly attended to the last time it was painted and they tend to spread under the paint and would require bare metalling again. Underseal on the chassis is very bad news and at the depth that you are describing it is definitely hiding something!! So my advice is walk away and keep looking as there are good cars around for less but you need to be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs before you will find your princess.(sorry about the strange analogy but i think it fits!) Also its the wrong time of the year to buy as these cars usually end up cheaper in the winter.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

Well the spiders say it all, i am in no rush.

Hope to see you at Malvern.

Regards

Guy

Hi all,

If anyone else is interested in this car, here is a bit of info.

TS21953 is the 60th last TR3 made in mid Sept 1957. As such it is a disc brake car. If originally fitted with an overdrive it would be TS21953-0

What looks to be non-original

Front View

- Side repeater indicators as previously commented on

- Mudguard mirror

- TR3 didn't have door handles. (There is heresay though that they could be ordered with a hardtop on the last cars).

Interior View

- Toggle switches on dash

- That thing bottom left of glovebox

- TR4 door pulls

- Radio box and console as previously commented on

- Scuttle behind windscreen was body colour not black

- Larger rear view mirror

- Wooden gear stick knob

- Shape of door pockets

Rear View

- Reverse light as previously commented on

- Filler cap should point to driver's side

- It might be thought the TR3 did not have apron mounted indicators, but they are correct for the last cars.

Not disparaging the car in any way as most sidescreens I have seen have non-original items, as is any owner's choice.

However one thing is always true for any used car purchase - "buyer beware".

Cheers,

Viv

Edited by vivdownunder