I seem to remember that there was some advertising about reconditioned calipers either in TRaction or in Triumph World. Can anyone help me find it. I have a stuck piston rusted in the front caliper.

Thank you

Richard :(

I seem to remember that there was some advertising about reconditioned calipers either in TRaction or in Triumph World. Can anyone help me find it. I have a stuck piston rusted in the front caliper.

Thank you

there is a company that recondition caliphers in Chelford Cheshire, they did mine last year for around £45 pounds each, TR bitz would know the name. the end result is excellent.

regards

Peter

Thank you

It can be a bit of a battle, but you can usuall get them out, the secret is to get the piston to turn. If you cut a slot across it, you can use a screw driver or straight bar of some sort to twist it. You may also be able to get a pipe wrench or stillson on it. Once you can turn it, apply some WD40 and keep wriggling it, it will eventually come out. I have done several like this and with new pistons and seals they have been fine.

Clive

I have any easy solution. I did it.

The TR3 calipers as only joined via an external pipe.

Connect the brake master cylinder direct to the caliper with the siezed piston. Bleed it.

Then sit in the car and gently press the brake pedal and you can watch the piston come out. Careful near the end as the pressure is high and the piston could fly out.

Put stainless pistons in.

Don't under any circumstances use compressed air as recommended in the April 07 Practical Classics, if the piston does shift it will come out like a bullet - I've been in email contact with PC over this issue as it would be recklessly dangerous to use compressed air, the systems are designed to be used with hydraulics (fluids don't compress). Another way to shift a piston is to use high power grease gun. The whole principle of guns and firearms is to use the rapidly expanding pocket of gases to expel the bullet at ballistic speed.

I removed the seriously seized pistons from a pair of calipers by fitting a grease nipple in place of the brake pipe. A few pumps of the grease gun pushed the pistons out nice and gently, no drama!

Les

I have shifted the piston and used a hammer and chisel causing some damage to the piston which was rusted badly. I am now having some difficulty getting bthe old rust out of the old caliper rim. I have arranged to send the pair away to Chelford for overhaul, however I did mention stainless steel which they claimed would not be suitable. So I am hoping for a high quality sealing rubber. It does fell as if I only did all this recently but looking backin the file I see that it was 1986 so not too bad really.

Thank you for the help.

Jonlar,

I easily removed my stuck piston using compressed air directly connected to the galiper entry hole, to avoid

the piston poping-up you just have to insert a piece of wood of the correct size between the pistons.

Regards, Guy