Surrey Top Steel Roof

Hi Folks,

Correction - it is not sagging (low in the middle and high at the ends) it is Hogging (low at the ends and high in the middle)

Sorry about that - I should know better being an ex-aerospace apprentice. 'Pop' Payne (apprentice instructor ) would be upset.

Roger

Sure Open the Doors and get Sue and yourself to jump up and down on the Cills.

Hi Paul,

yes indeed, I've experienced the moving gaps over the years..

I need to lift the back on mine. I can't see a problem at the moment but things change so quickly :o

Roger

Hi Roger,

Have you not answered your own question?

Jack up the rear of the car and see if the gap closes up enough for the roof to fit. :)

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Niall/Graeme,

I can and do do simple.

If I simply jack the back up and fit the roof, the roof will then try and move the front screen rearwards when the back is off the jack.

One of my complicated mod's on the front screen is to fit a piece of bent metal that forms a rain guard on the vertical part of the frame.

With the door window in the up position the gap between door glass and bent metal is very very close.

If the screen comes rearwards then they will hit.

So I would rather raise the back of the body up without the chance of it going down again.

Roger

Hi Niall/Graeme,

I can and do do simple.

If I simply jack the back up and fit the roof, the roof will then try and move the front screen rearwards when the back is off the jack.

One of my complicated mod's on the front screen is to fit a piece of bent metal that forms a rain guard on the vertical part of the frame.

With the door window in the up position the gap between door glass and bent metal is very very close.

If the screen comes rearwards then they will hit.

So I would rather raise the back of the body up without the chance of it going down again.

Roger

So your hoping to just bend/flex the back half of the Body.

Hmm on a 4a you indeed would only have to undo the two rear mounts and the spare wheel hook to be able to jack the rear up a bit but what about the rear of your door glasses to the Surrey frame upright section Roger what are they like? What does the curve of the roof if just laid in place match like to the top of the windows? Do you have the guide tubes in the top of the windscreen frame and have they moved?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

The chassis appears to be fine. I replaced the T-shirt bottom panel two years ago and apart from rust in the T-shirt trapped pockets the rest looked fine.

When doing this the chassis was jacked up very well.

Over the years the door gaps have opened at the tops a small amount.

The gap behind the door glass is more than enough to accommodate a slight lift of the back.

Regarding the roof/top of windows - I'll have to have a trial fit shortly and see.

Roger

If you are only a few mm out my brute force technique might work.

I get one bolt threaded loosely at the front then the two back bolts in position. For the last front bolt I put my shoulder against the top of the windscreen frame and you can push it out hard enough with your leg muscles to get a few mm of flex, at the same time you can feel and locate bolt with your hand. Let go and then tighten everything up.

Not pretty, but I've been doing that for 20 years it works every time!

Hi VB,

indeed that would be the approach I would take, but I do not want to move the front screen at all.

I'm sure the problem lies in the back of the car being down a very small amount.

I can't see any harm in raising it a smidge. I know there will be knock on effects but they will either be sorted or put back to how it was.

The chassis/body attachment bolts are soaking in 'PlusGas' at the moment

Roger

Couple of things to watch if you are going to jack the rear up Roger is the bottom seam of the "B" post to sill and also the anti-burst tongue and receiver may not fit together right after. Also check fuel pipe and front of boot floor to shock bridge clearance. You may laugh about the last one but I have seen a lot that are too close to call just there.

Stuart.

Hi Keith,

Not trying to put you down but I think that's just about brought the discussion around to the second post and original reply to the question ! :P

Mick Richards