Positive to negative ground conversion

When I come to electrics in my TR2 project, I plan to switch from + to - ground, I know that I'll have to switch leads on Amp gauge, but will the starter still spin the proper direction?

OK, I know I could find some starter cables and a battery and test, but for the moment it's easier just asking.

/Inge

Yes it will still turn the correct way as both the armature and the field coils will have the polarity changed.

Also suggest you check that no "modern" semi conductor devices have been fitted ie a modern voltage regulator, LEDs, etc as these will be polarity sensitive.

Regards

Rog

If you are still running a dynamo, then that will need to be encouraged to work -ve ground.

To do this temporarily connect a wire from Batt +ve to the field terminal on the dynamo (the smaller one)

only needs to be on for a second.

Bob.

Yes it will still turn the correct way as both the armature and the field coils will have the polarity changed.

Also suggest you check that no "modern" semi conductor devices have been fitted ie a modern voltage regulator, LEDs, etc as these will be polarity sensitive.

Regards

Rog

Ahh, got it! The car is totally in bits and pieces so everything will be rebuilt from scratch. I have an alternator left over from the TR6 I sold of that I'll use. Already bought pulleys for narrow belt, I'll also introduce a couple of relays for electric fan, horns, lights and DRL but will hide them and some additional fuses. Else I'll try to keep the car quite close to original.

Inge

Regarding hiding extra fuses and relays have you seen the neat idea from Racetorations

http://www.racetorations.co.uk/triumph-c56/tr2-c3/tr2-electrical-c21/racetorations-hidden-fuse-and-relay-box-tr2-3a-p28

Great, I'll use that idea! Thanks.

I have modified a wiring diagram with the additions I'd like to do to the build, any comments? (some lamps are indicating lamps, DRL and Fan) Iv'e put in relays to take of load from switches. (Note: edited after comments)

wiring_mod.jpg)

Edited by ijonsson

I'm not sure what a DRL is (daylight running lamp perhaps?) but the diagram shows the indicator lamp for it as having an earth on each end. To work correctly it would need to be in parallel with the relay coil. The lamps themselves are shown in series, so would need to be be 6v - and if one fails both go out.

Edited by RobH

Thanks, I think I got a bit tired when I came to the daylight running lamps, last thing added :wacko:. Now edited in diagram.

/Inge

Edited by ijonsson

Inge

Regarding hiding extra fuses and relays have you seen the neat idea from Racetorations

http://www.racetorations.co.uk/triumph-c56/tr2-c3/tr2-electrical-c21/racetorations-hidden-fuse-and-relay-box-tr2-3a-p28

Great, I'll use that idea! Thanks.

Didn't work due to windscreen wiper motor on LHD, had to make my own solution, smaller and relays on the rear side.

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg