I know this thread is so old it's got hairs on but I'm currently considering changing my aged, not worn, tyres on my TR6. Current size is 195/70R15 which came with the Minilite 6" rims I bought to replace the original steel wheels with 185SR15 tyres on. Now my current choice of tyre is limited in the main to van tyres whereas I see some fit 165/80R15 tyres giving more choice of tyre with many in the A-C rating for grip/fuel/braking whereas van tyres are nearly always in the E category at best. The rolling circumference if you use this excellent site https://tiresize.com/comparison/is neither here or there with the only 25 more revolutions of the wheel per mile with the smaller width tyre. I'm having the speedo recalibrate due to a gearbox/overdrive being fitted to replace the old non-overdrive unit so not too concerned about speedo stuff as that'll be sorted once the tyres are on. Question is more will I notice a difference with 165's versus 195's. Why is life so complicated !!!!!

6" wide rims are too wide for 165 tyres . . . . . . maximum 5.5" rim.

185 section is very limited these days, Vredestein Sprint Classic in 185/70 around the £100 mark, otherwise its costapacket rubber . . . . .

195/60 or 195/65 would be the better options for 6" rims, lots to choose from . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

6" wide rims are too wide for 165 tyres . . . . . . maximum 5.5" rim.

185 section is very limited these days, Vredestein Sprint Classic in 185/70 around the £100 mark, otherwise its costapacket rubber . . . . .

195/60 or 195/65 would be the better options for 6" rims, lots to choose from . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

+1

Both my TR3A and 'E'-type Jaguar stand on 'Tyre Savers' when in the garage.

These prevent tyres developing a 'flat' profile when the cars stand in the garage.

Make sure you anchor these to the garage floor otherwise they will fly allover

the place when you try to drive on them!

I've always been a great fan of Michelin XAs tyres. Yet to be fitted to both my cars.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

XAS are a crazy price.

That's why I've recommended Vredestein T-Trac2, 165/80-15, and probably the best value TR tyres around, at £46.25 apiece.

After that, Continental CT22 at £47.65 each, decent enough but not quite up to the Vredestein in the dry and well behind in the wet.

Cheers

Alec

Got Firestone's on mine, can't seem to wear them out and boy have I tried. I think they saved mine and Eve's life last year in France when we got cut up by a tw@ coming across 3 lanes and slaming on in front of us, we were sideways at +65mph, boot full, back of seats full plus luggage bag on boot lid.....Did I mention my pants were full?

Dave