Something totally different

As the introduction goes "and now for something totally different".

When we share events with our friends and co Triumph owners in the Triumph Stag Owners club we sometimes tease them about the Stags perceived fragility, "all in the best possible taste" as another saying goes, well check out this out.

http://www.stag.org.uk/the-club/news-archive/trans-america-challenge-2015

This years 2015 Trans America challenge is being led by a Triumph Stag and some of the cars being shaded by it include some tasty cars including Porsches. As a TR and Stag owner I have a leg in each camp and am really enjoying the reports coming through, the Stag has lead since day 1 and it's now running at Day 9, still strong and in the lead.

Go for it guys, nice to see Triumph enthusiasts putting the banner up no matter what model of car we are driving.

Mick Richards

Is the Stag still doing ok, can't find an update. Last day tomorrow if i've read it right.

Dave

The Stag had it's diff fail 2 days ago, whilst on stage, some of the locals were sourcing a diff and it was being courier to the supporting garage for fitment. The Stag is again competing but now in 27th place with the aim of making up whatever time they can and completing the rally.

Let's hope the crew are encouraged by their unusual choice of competitive vehicle and by the fact that they lead the rally for the first 10 days on merit, the diff and it's design (shared very closely by the big Triumph saloons which used to rally competitively) is probably one of more unlikely components on a Stag that you could envisage causing a problem. Let's hope they finish well and resolve to compete with Stag again next year now battle hardened and with a better idea of even more components to make "fail safe".

Mick Richards

Reports from my personal US correspondent tell of how the diff was found and got to Idaho Falls in time to be of use.

Take it away Mike Bulfer and Carl Butler:

"I thought I would share some of what happened this week here at Knightshift....I was contacted by Chris Hansel

with the Stag Club in search of a differential for these guys. Sounds like they were actually in the lead, and had been
from the start in Nova Scotia. Somewhere between Cody Wyoming and Idaho Falls Idaho their differential started
failing fast. I was later contacted by Chris from Michigan that informed me of the details and Phil Garratt, the driver
of car #27. These guys were certainly on a mission and in dire need of a differential. I was more than happy to share
a diff that I had purchased for my own Stag resto, only reluctant as it had not been "gone through" and was some
what a guess of it's actual internal condition. I was told by the Gold Canyon UPS that if I could get it to them by 3:00 p.m.
that it should be in Idaho Falls by the next morning, (along with a grand total of $515.00 for overnight shipping!!!). So
with that in mind I set out to get these guys some help! After packing the diff, along with every bearing and seal that
I had for the diff just in case. I let Garratt know that he if would locate the local UPS distribution hub, they could be there
when it arrived and save some time by not letting it get on the delivery truck. They did exactly that and were back up
and running shortly after receiving the diff. I let these guys know that just in case it "howls" to just make sure it has oil
in it and not to let the bearings run dry and they will more than likely be OK. I went further on to explain that when I
drove my Stag across the U.S. from Whiteville, N.C. to Tempe, AZ. that it started "howling like a lion" just west of Atlanta,
Georgia after discovering a seal was leaking fluid. So I stopped quite a few times refilling the diff and getting back on the
highway. The diff did its job, and proved what it was made of, good stuff. the seal, or seals were probably the original seals
and had never been replaced. NOT Triumphs fault, nor British Leyland's fault, but simply MY FAULT for not taking the time
and servicing the diff when I replaced it shortly after I purchased my Stag. One thing that I missed in preparation for my
cross country adventure. I will say that the diff did great and gave no indications of any problems, but also had not been
"put to the test" at high speeds prior to my leaving N.C. Garratt stated that they believe the initial problem with their
diff was the shims that control the float and angle of the pinion to crown gear, and the diffs are not known to go out on
Triumph Stags, something totally unexpected. I would like to say these guys are "TOP NOTCH", true gentlemen and a
PLEASURE TO DEAL WITH, as are ALL of the Brits that I am dealing with these days. Carl Butler, Knightshift Mechanical
Restorations, 2895 South Winchester Road, Apache Junction, AZ 85119 480 993 6105"
Just goes to show that the Triumphero network works as well in the US as it does in the UK!
Well done, Mike, Carl and everyone involved in keeping up the Triumph image in the US!
John

What a great gesture by Mike & Carl. Let's hope Phil and Kieron can make up some places. Good luck to David & Jo Roberts in the TR250, would be nice seeing both Triumphs in the first ten. What's also refreshing is the friendship shown between the Americans and the Brit's instead of some of the senseless **** dished out between d*ckhead's on You Tube, Facebook, Twitter etc, etc.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Never been a Stag fan, but that car looks seriously attractive stripped of its bumpers, and well done to the crew, keep her lit and keep her going!!